Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) iPhone making me nuts!!! (Read 9,037 times)
westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
iPhone making me nuts!!!
Jan 27th, 2013 at 2:45am
Post Tools
So here goes.

A few weeks ago I noticed that at times I couldn't log into some YaBB forums when using my iPhone. This only happened when I was not connected to wi-fi. At first I thought it was a YaBB issue because it only seemed to happen on 2.5.2 but then it started to happen on the Boardmod site also. (Not a newer version issue after all, boardmod is on 2.3.1)

As time went on, I started to have other issues with the phone. What the heck? Guess its time to upgrade the phone, it's now 2.5 yrs. old.

Went today and got a new iPhone. Guess what? Can't login to Dandellos testbed, Carstens mod forum or even my own forum from the phone unless connected to wi-fi.

So, before I go and tell Apple to stick the phone up their nose, does anyone else have this issue?

Signed,
Mad in the swamp!

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2013 at 2:50am by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: iPhone making me nuts!!!
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 3:12am
Post Tools
I've got a new Iphone4 - no problems logging into any of my sites. But with my data plan I only go onto the web if I'm connected via wifi. I can't see any logical reason why being connected through 3G or whatever would be worse than being connected through wifi.  (I just tested this with a 3G Verizon connection and had no problem logging into my Testbed with wifi turned off.)

I suspect something to do with your local provider?
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2013 at 3:13am by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 3:28am
Post Tools
I may have to check into it then. I even tried to download and use a different browser with no luck. Angry

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 8:16am
Post Tools
I checked on my 4S logged in okay with WiFi off.

The auto complete and caps have caused me a fair bit of grief in the past. You can store a password as a txt file using email or keep it in your notes on the fone.

Try this and copy and paste your password to see if it works?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 9:49am
Post Tools
i think i know why it is ok on wi-fi but not ok on "2G GPRS (General Packet Radio Service)" or "3G HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access)"
some mobile/cellular networks will change your ip address every load or 5 minutes
on my network vodafone UK i am ok until it times out which is when my phone goes back to the lock screen or 3 minutes of no data access but on wi-fi your broadband will not switch ip address as much.

and for anyone reading this that is a bit confused on ip address as i always get but this and that.
when i say ip address i am referring to a WAN ip not a LAN
a home WAN (Wide Area Network) is the ip address that The Internet will see you on
LAN (local area network) this is the ip address assigned by DHCP on your router
DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) this lets you connect more than one device to the internet and will let all items connected to the router see and talk to each other but will show them all coming from the one WAN ip that your ISP set your modem to but i won't get into the more complicated items of WANs connect to WANs or WANs with in WANs connect to WANs let's just say that this part is more business and government utilize.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2013 at 4:36pm
Post Tools
Some of my members have run into the IP address changing every five minutes AND I had to turn of SFS checking because half the IP addresses they were assigned were on the 'bad guy' list.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2013 at 5:11am
Post Tools
Seems to be solved for now by using Opera as my browser. Why Safari stopped working for me after over 2 years, I have no idea. Started having problems with the iPhone 3GS charging so I upgraded to the iPhone 4 and still have the Safari issue.

Not giving up just yet. I'm on a mission. If I fail, the phone is going back. Not having a paper weight!

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2013 at 2:48am
Post Tools
Just tried on a friends iPhone 4 and same problem. There is a new update available that came out today. I'm going to update in the morning and see what happens.

I'm really starting to believe that it is a problem that is local to my area and doubt that the update will change anything.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 1:47am
Post Tools
So, after an hour in the AT&T store with them having me call support for Apple, I was able to get nowhere. I did try a HTC 1X and was unable to login to any forum powered by YaBB. This makes me believe that it is an AT&T network issue. Even the guys from tech support were unable to login via a mobile device. (that was another hour and a half on the phone after I got back home)

This was the AT&T web developers explanation:
Quote:
AT&T continuously updates our security process to web standards and if a web server is not up to date, has unusual headers, filters the traffic in an unusual way, shortens header information etc, then it accidentally blocks mobile traffic or has errors. It will be random. So even if some devices can access some of the time that doesn't change the fact that the sites are most likely not kept up to the best standards for mobile traffic. It has to do with mobile traffic and how the site regulates it, it appears. Newer sites, banking sites, email sites keep up-to-date. Since many devices are having issues with his site it won't really help unless servers are updated or changes are made to the headers, may have unusual header information. Like the site adds unusual header information maybe, shortens header information, accidentally blocks mobile traffic, filters mobile traffic badly etc...

When the phone can access thru Wi-Fi, the site is handling the mobile traffic poorly and something needs to change with the site.

Now, I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack but... does it really matter how a site is set up? They said "it accidentally blocks mobile traffic". but the web browser is still a mobile browser whether its connected via wi-fi or a 3G connection.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 2:26am
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 1:47am:
Now, I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack but... does it really matter how a site is set up? They said "it accidentally blocks mobile traffic". but the web browser is still a mobile browser whether its connected via wi-fi or a 3G connection.

As long as a site can be successfuly accessed online with the most popular browsers on a computer or laptop, it should come up via wi-fi or through a 3G/4G connection on an iPhone. Otherwise, stating the obvious, the problem exists with the provider (AT&T) in any given local area.

In Los Angeles where I am, iPhones can pull up our forum just fine through AT&T. I've seen it. It comes up fine on my iPod and my iPad as well.

If it helps, I remember when I upgraded the speed of our Internet connection, and I couldn't access a lot of sites. It turned out to be a local issue that was thankfully solved within a couple of hours.

Oh yeah, I couldn't even access the AT&T help page (many other sites were accessible). Roll Eyes

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:21am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 2:26am:
In Los Angeles where I am, iPhones can pull up our forum just fine through AT&T. I've seen it. It comes up fine on my iPod and my iPad as well.

That's what has me stumped. I could access and log into any forum powered by YaBB, up until about a month or so ago. Now nothing, from the testbed, this forum or Boardmod or even Carsten's forum.

I firmly believe that it is a problem on their end. It's not like it never worked. I used the iPhone 3GS for 2.5 years to access any YaBB powered forum via a 3G connection without any problem before it started failing to login.

I'm really starting to believe that I'm being given the run around by AT&T. It all goes back to my statement above, a mobile browser is a mobile browser any way it's connected, in my opinion.

Edited:
Bill, just for the heck of it... Just to rule out another version, I just tried to login to my 2.4 test board and no luck. Hang on, AT&T may soon throw your members a loop that have them as their provider.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:55am by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:50am
Post Tools
I'm on my iPod now, and going through AT&T, so I believe you're correct.

Ironically, as of this post this forum is being redirected again like it had been earlier. And yet, I'm able to access it via my iPod. Huh

Edited:
And we're back up again (now on my laptop). Cool

By the way, I'm confused, so maybe you can clarify. Are you saying you can't access these forums altogether with your iPhone, or are you saying you simply can't log in to them?

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:15am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:33pm
Post Tools
i'm sorry it doesn't matter what AT&T has to say it is there problem.
i had more of a look for you with items like
"when on AT&T data plan i can't login to some websites" and you see more than a couple of people with this problem and on the AT&T forum and not just on the Iphone but also AT&T USB modems and so on. i will also pm you one more item to test as well and see if it helps well i hope it will.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:47pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:33pm:
i'm sorry it doesn't matter what AT&T has to say it is there problem.

I totally agree with that.

It annoyed me that they kept blaming it on the iPhone. The manager at the local AT&T store didn't know what to say when I informed her that I had tried and failed with another phone at the store. The winch (excuse my term) Wink just didn't want to deal with it, in my opinion.

I think the next step is to sit down and write a letter to the higher ups, which will probably be a waste of time. But hey, it can't hurt and anyone who knows me, knows how I like to write my long winded letters to a company when I'm not satisfied. Grin

xnoddyx wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:33pm:
i will also pm you one more item to test as well and see if it helps well i hope it will.

Unfortunately, it didn't work Cry but thanks for the effort.

Edited:
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:50am:
By the way, I'm confused, so maybe you can clarify. Are you saying you can't access these forums altogether with your iPhone, or are you saying you simply can't log in to them?

Sorry Bill, I just noticed your edit.

I can access them and browse anywhere that a guest is allowed. I can even register successfully but can't login with the new registration or any existing account. It is as if I fill out the username and password fields and hit the re-fresh button. (just redirects back to the index page, after clicking login)
NOTE: This only occurrs on a 3G connection. If I access via the phone connected to a wi-fi connection, then everything is ok.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:53pm by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:11pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:47pm:
It is as if I fill out the username and password fields and hit the re-fresh button.

Got it! You're not alone. Evidently, this has been, and is a common problem (I used a query of "iphone login problems in forums" in Google search to see this). But then, you may have already done the same thing.

One possible solution if it can work for you is the following:

Quote:
Works great for me.
Try iphone settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data.

Edited:
However ...

Quote:
Same issue here - I cleaned Safari's cache and cookies but it doesn't fix this issue.

Of course there are also a number of other so-called solutions out there that have been offered.

Such as ...

Edited:
Quote:
... accept cookies in Safari's settings.
It fixed the issue form me.

What an annoying problem! If it's any consolation, at least from my perspective because I know you're persistent, and a problem solver, if anyone can figure this out, you can!

If or when you solve this, maybe you can let AT&T know; and maybe Apple as well. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:27pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo