Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) iPhone making me nuts!!! (Read 7,902 times)
westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Re: iPhone making me nuts!!!
Reply #27 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 4:13am
Post Tools
If it were to log me out when switching from wi-wi to 3G, it wouldn't be as big of a problem. It's the not being able to login on a 3G connection at all, that is a problem. Something must have changed but of course, they aren't going to admit it.

Yes, I was able to solve it with Opera but it sucks as a browser, in my opinion. maybe I could get used to it but it still has some limitations. Posting from it (Opera) is a big ole pain. Especially when that darned button sometimes says "wait" forever. Angry funny thing is, if I add a smiley or something, the wait goes away and I am able to post.

The bottom line is, I'm paying for a service, and have not had a problem with it for the last few years. Now, here comes some jackwad who decides he's going to change something up which in turn, blocks me and a bunch of others from accessing certain cites.

Whichever the case is, I'm not happy as I'm sure you can tell and AT&T needs to get their c**p straight! But hey, I'm just one person. Guess they can't please everybody but they should try harder to please me cause, I'm me!!! Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #26 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:25pm
Post Tools
@westwegoman

I would venture a guess that its all about cookie/session handling.

You might want to do an IP check in the different browsers before/after switching for starters. There's also the matter (in general) of authentication as a whole.

When you switch from tethered-via-wifi to (cell) network operation (or go from 3g to 4g), how that transition is done is 'black magic'. At least in the sense that you may never know the specifics of how a carrier makes that transition.  

The traffic that goes to your phone when tethered is tunneled/encapsulated and may not look the same to all browsers. Opera has a huge upside in that area - its born and bred on phones.

There's also a difference in how Perl and PHP use a software device/gateway called a 'session' and that may well play into these differences.

"just sayin' ".  Wink

Cool

Edited:
I just had a thought that the browsers may use separate caches for each type of connection ditto 'cookies'.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:26pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

jooky
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2
Reply #25 - Feb 7th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:29pm:
jooky wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 9:15pm:
What other forum software have you already checked?

Don't really care to post the competition but, if you do some homework, you will find the answer Wink

I was just looking to help.  If you don't want or need it (no private PM, "you do the homework"), no problem.

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #24 - Feb 6th, 2013 at 9:29pm
Post Tools
jooky wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 9:15pm:

Don't really care to post the competition but, if you do some homework, you will find the answer Wink

IP Logged

jooky
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2
Reply #23 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 9:15pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Feb 2nd, 2013 at 5:53pm:
I have checked other forum software and have no problem. Go figure Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #22 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 5:53pm
Post Tools
The only way that I have been able to get around the problem so far is to use the browser by Opera.

When using Safari, Chrome or Firefox, I can not login just as you have experienced.... Except....

When switching back over to wi-fi, I am still not logged in. If I stay connected to wi-fi, I remain logged in no matter what.

In the past, before the 3G problem started, I could switch back and forth between wi-fi and 3G and remain logged in.

I have checked other forum software and have no problem. Go figure Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

jooky
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2
Reply #21 - Feb 2nd, 2013 at 5:31pm
Post Tools
Not just the iPhone...  

I started experiencing the same issue about three-four weeks ago.  

I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII with Android 4.04 using the AT&T 4G network.  As this issue is experienced on both iOS and Android, iPhone and Android phone, will not focus on phone.

I have the standard installed browser, the Dolphin browser and the Firefox browser installed on the phone.  When visiting a YABB forum (including this one) I have experienced and reproduced the same issue using all three browsers.  Will not focus on browser version.  Problem also experienced by Safari users... again, will not focus on browser version.

ISSUE: Regardless of phone, OS or browser, when signing into the forum, the "sign in state" does not appear to be retained if using the 4G network.  Sign in seems successful, but navigating to another page as a logged-in user fails and page shows me as being not logged in.  I say "does not appear" successful, because if I immediately connect to a wi-fi network and then reload the same web page, the logged-in status is regained.  WITHOUT re-completing the sign in form.

SUMMED UP: Log in status is NOT retained/recognized under the 4G network or is not communicated under 4G network.  Logged in status is retained/recognized/communicated via wi-fi.  Browser or phone version appears irrelevant.

APPARENT: When the log-in status is not retained/recognized, it seems apparent that the username/password cookies ARE in fact being saved in the browser.  Despite not showing the page as a logged-in user should see it.  Immediately reloading that same page that shows a 'not logged in' status AFTER connecting via wifi WILL show the page normally (logged in).  Cookies do appear to have been properly stored when connected with 4G.

CONCLUSION: Cookies are still being properly stored in the browser over the AT&T network, however they are either not being sent back to the web server when requested, not being read when connected via 4G or the web request for the cookies is not being received or properly recognized.

THOUGHTS: Perhaps finding a non-YABB forum that is properly working on the AT&T 3G or 4G network, and then comparing the page's HTTP headers to that of the YABB forum would show something? Maybe there is some new required header value?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2013 at 5:35pm by jooky »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #20 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 11:36pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:11pm:
I really do believe AT&T has changed something in their network that has starting causing this problem.

I'm now thinking more than ever that you're right about AT&T's network being the problem. I guess the only real consolation is that this problem isn't isolated to you, and because many more people must surely be having the same problem, AT&T is going to have to figure it out at some point; hopefully sooner than later.

Edited:
Makes me wonder if this is the case (quoted from this post):

Quote:
Not many people log into the forums using an iPhone I assume, as it may be hard to post and what not. Few reports I've seen about this are due to cellular connections.

There isn't really a solution to this, as this is how cellular connections work. You could contact your service provider and ask for a static IP address for your phone, as some companies offer that. There may be a charge for it, as this probably requires some behind the scenes work. I use to work in a data support for a telco company and this service was offered for users who requires static IP addresses for work purposes and what not.

And from this post as follows in part:

Quote:
If you're using the cellular network, this may be why. The cellular network uses ghost IP address that change every so often (sometimes a little as 20 seconds).

And maybe a solution offered by iphonehacks as follows?

Quote:
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2013 at 2:19am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #19 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 11:32pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 11:30pm:
Methinks that's the network being referred to

Probably so. Wasn't thinking clear at the time. So frustrating, AT&T that is.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #18 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 11:30pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:40pm:
I even tested it out on a HTC 1X and could not login. The only thing that all of these had in common was they were on the AT&T 3G network.

Methinks that's the network being referred to.  Wink

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #17 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:40pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:27pm:
I think its your network as well.

Definately not my network. I can login fine when on wi-fi, just not on 3G (the AT&T network)

depablo wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:27pm:
Have you got accept cookies enabled?

Yes. Always has been on.

I could almost believe the iOS6 bug thing BUT.....

I have the same problem on the iPhone using Safari, Chrome and Mercury browsers.

I even tested it out on a HTC 1X and could not login. The only thing that all of these had in common was they were on the AT&T 3G network.

Edited:
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 2:26am:
In Los Angeles where I am, iPhones can pull up our forum just fine through AT&T. I've seen it.

Hey Bill,
Maybe in Los Angelos but not from my neck of the woods or many others. The tech guys were in Indiana and couldn't. Just spoke with my wife and she can't log into my site from Chicago anymore.
I just registered and can't log into your forum either. Fracking AT&T Grin Cry
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 11:28pm by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #16 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:27pm
Post Tools
As Bill said, Googling it brings up hundreds of similar problems. I think its your network as well.

Also something similar near end of thread:
Link
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:32pm by depablo »  

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #15 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:11pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:11pm:
Try iphone settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data.

Already tried that, didn't work.

Bill Myers wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:11pm:
accept cookies in Safari's settings.

Tried that also to no avail Cry

But, thanks for the suggestions. I really do believe AT&T has changed something in their network that has starting causing this problem. For over 2 years I had no problem. But, like I said.... I'm not giving up yet Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:11pm
Post Tools
WestwegoMan wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:47pm:
It is as if I fill out the username and password fields and hit the re-fresh button.

Got it! You're not alone. Evidently, this has been, and is a common problem (I used a query of "iphone login problems in forums" in Google search to see this). But then, you may have already done the same thing.

One possible solution if it can work for you is the following:

Quote:
Works great for me.
Try iphone settings > Safari > Clear Cookies and Data.

Edited:
However ...

Quote:
Same issue here - I cleaned Safari's cache and cookies but it doesn't fix this issue.

Of course there are also a number of other so-called solutions out there that have been offered.

Such as ...

Edited:
Quote:
... accept cookies in Safari's settings.
It fixed the issue form me.

What an annoying problem! If it's any consolation, at least from my perspective because I know you're persistent, and a problem solver, if anyone can figure this out, you can!

If or when you solve this, maybe you can let AT&T know; and maybe Apple as well. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:27pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

westwegoman
Ex Member

None
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:47pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:33pm:
i'm sorry it doesn't matter what AT&T has to say it is there problem.

I totally agree with that.

It annoyed me that they kept blaming it on the iPhone. The manager at the local AT&T store didn't know what to say when I informed her that I had tried and failed with another phone at the store. The winch (excuse my term) Wink just didn't want to deal with it, in my opinion.

I think the next step is to sit down and write a letter to the higher ups, which will probably be a waste of time. But hey, it can't hurt and anyone who knows me, knows how I like to write my long winded letters to a company when I'm not satisfied. Grin

xnoddyx wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 3:33pm:
i will also pm you one more item to test as well and see if it helps well i hope it will.

Unfortunately, it didn't work Cry but thanks for the effort.

Edited:
Bill Myers wrote on Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:50am:
By the way, I'm confused, so maybe you can clarify. Are you saying you can't access these forums altogether with your iPhone, or are you saying you simply can't log in to them?

Sorry Bill, I just noticed your edit.

I can access them and browse anywhere that a guest is allowed. I can even register successfully but can't login with the new registration or any existing account. It is as if I fill out the username and password fields and hit the re-fresh button. (just redirects back to the index page, after clicking login)
NOTE: This only occurrs on a 3G connection. If I access via the phone connected to a wi-fi connection, then everything is ok.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2013 at 4:53pm by WestwegoMan »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top