Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Accounts being blanked (Read 948 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Accounts being blanked
Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 5:24pm
Post Tools
The only files you should need to overwrite from a previous backup in this instance is the memberfiles that have been toasted - Then run your member Utilities in the Admin Center.

Then check on your space usage with your host AND make sure you get notification from them if your space usage gets close to maxing out. As Bill said, there may also be files created by your host that is taking up your precious space.

If the problem isn't solved by this then your host did something that is keeping YaBB from saving its files.

In the event that is the case, most host tech support first goes into denial - "We didn't change anything... you must have done something... we have this great php software over here" (usually a VERY old version of phpBB or some such.) (If I sound a bit testy - those are exactly the excuses I got from my old hosting service when my YaBB forums went down. Which is why they're my old hosting service.)

The key words here are "file ownership" and "CHMOD".  These things don't change by themselves and if you didn't do it, THEY did. (And I seriously doubt you did it.  Wink)
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2013 at 5:25pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 4:57pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Feb 3rd, 2013 at 3:58pm:
If you're taking regular backups - which you should be - download them as soon as you can to a different place for storage and then delete them from your host. The space they take adds up fast.

I think in part at least, Dandello is referring to the backups that may be created by your host. If you're not mindful of that, she's abolutely right about how they can take up space must faster than you might think.

Routinely, many hosts will back up sites on the same server as the site itself, which of course would include forums. Our host, for instance, backs up our sites in respective tar.bz2 files.

I didn't really pay any attention to those server backups because we maintain local backups, and for a while our server backups were incrementally adding up one after the other. Had I followed Dandello's excellent advice, I would have been fine. Instead, I kept running out of room; my bad.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 4:19pm
Post Tools
I do regular backups, twice a month on average.

I will do a fresh backup to a hard drive then edit out pics and stuff no longer needed then replace them on the server.
It should be interesting I have never ovewritten filed before. just hope it doesnt end in tears Smiley

thanks for the input Smiley

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 3:58pm
Post Tools
If you're taking regular backups - which you should be - download them as soon as you can to a different place for storage and then delete them from your host. The space they take adds up fast.

The other possibility is if your host has changed something on their end that is preventing YaBB from properly writing to its files. (Folder/file ownership issues.)

Programs like YaBB don't break by themselves - no auto-updates that would break things. Therefore if it isn't a space issue, it's a host issue.

There are some inexpensive YaBB friendly hosts out here.

IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 3:10pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the reply Smiley
I don't really understand gigabites and kilobotes all that well, I think I must be a bit dim. Undecided

I am supposed to have a 5 gigabites of web space, and my usage is  106,880.0 KB that is for a web site with the yabb forum also hosted on that space, is tha enough space?

I have deleted about six pages of old topics from the forum to give me more free space if that is not enough |I can emove some stored photos from the Web site that shold also help.

I don't want to have to pay out for more web space as that would be a considerable drain on our Clubs funds.

Any further help or tips to an amature would be very helfull.

thanks

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2013 at 3:39am
Post Tools
Check and make sure you're not running out of room on your host - one of the symptoms is member files being saved empty after they've logged in.

IP Logged

trekwebmaster

Accounts being blanked
Feb 3rd, 2013 at 1:47am
Post Tools
recently a few members accounts have sudenly gone blank including my own Admin account earlier today.
members accounts are left as just a shell, ie all passwords emails addresses and details totally dissapear, and logging in is impossible of course.
I have set my account up again using another admin acount which is kept for emergency use.
My error log shows no meddling from members or outside hacking attempts.
Is there a bug/gremlin in yab 2.3.1 that is causing the loss of details or is a hacker secretly at work?
Can anyone explain where I should look for a broblem with the forum?
At the moment I am totally stumped as to what is causing the problem.

Any help gratefully recieved. thanks

Using yabb 2.3.1
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top