Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) v.2.1 security patch dead link (Read 4,089 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: v.2.1 security patch dead link
Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:06am
Post Tools
Quote:
What I am saying is that in my view what has been happening is not significant.

Remember, someone writes a spam-bot program the same as someone writes an anti-spam mod for the forum.  Sometimes it is a case of who is smarter Smiley

Then we are in agreement after all. Wink

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:08am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 5:24am
Post Tools
No, no, no Bill. Don't read into things that are not there.

What I am saying is that in my view what has been happening is not significant.

We can only try to stay ahead of them because I doubt we will ever eliminate all of them, especially the human ones.

Remember, someone writes a spam-bot program the same as someone writes an anti-spam mod for the forum.  Sometimes it is a case of who is smarter Smiley

All in my opinion of course.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #17 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:58am
Post Tools
Quote:
Not sure we can agree with you Bill.

What? I thought for sure you'd agree that spam in this forum doesn't happen that often, and when it does, YaBB's moderators are pretty quick to get rid of it.

Please keep in mind that you're not the only moderator here, so not everyone may be managing spammers the way you do, or in the way you've been instructed to do.

What I have very happily seen firsthand in front of my eyes as I'm smiling about it is the deletion of multiple spam posts as they are being posted. Post up; post deleted! Post up; post deleted! Post up; post deleted! And so on, and so forth.

What I noticed was that all but one of the spammer's posts were deleted as they were being posted, and the one which was left was moved for review to a private area of YaBB that the public thankfully doesn't have to see.

Quote:
Would you care to share that as I am sure everybody is interested in any method we all can take to stop spam.

That would be ggn's anti-spam hack that Derek Barnstorm coded for YaBB, and of which Dandello has included in one of YaBB's next versions.

I had previously used this anti-spam measure to successfully stop hundreds of thousands of attempted spam-bot registrations. Not one single spam-bot ever got through. Not one! It was so successful that I ended up allowing immediate registrations without any approval at all; not by email or by admin.

Eventually, I somehow messed up the anti-spam question mod, and only had SpamFruits. But at some point spam-bot automation made it possible for spam-bot registrations to get through (likely with hu-bot help), so I once again began using ggn's anti-spam hack.

Since then, and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, not a single spam-bot has been able to register.  Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:37am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:09am:
I'm using a different method of spam control now,

Would you care to share that as I am sure everybody is interested in any method we all can take to stop spam.

Thanks

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:34am
Post Tools
Not sure we can agree with you Bill.

Spam on the forum is not deleted but held in a board by Moderators.  There have been only four spammers post on this forum since Christmas.  These were all human spammers.

Spam-bots have not been able to post on the forum for ages.  Not even sure that any have been able to register for ages either.  The registration statistics certainly do not show that.

Overall I think that is pretty good and manageable.  I know it compares with my own forum that has every anti-spam measure and mod available.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:53am by »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:09am
Post Tools
Jon, call them whatever you want; hu-bots or spam-bots or magical leprechaun-bots. The fact remains, spammers do indeed continue to post in this forum where they do not in other YaBB forums that use proven anti-spam measures to stop them.

By the way, I agree with you that it's unacceptable for a forum to ask questions that only people with a specialized knowledge can successfully answer.

To that point, just to better identify if hu-bots or spam bots were registering in our forum, I actually included answers with the questions I asked, and I explained this to registrants.

I'm using a different method of spam control now, but for a while we had the following alternating questions on the registration page of our forum:

Quote:
To help stop spam-bots, please answer this question: What is 1 + 1 (the answer is 2)?

To help stop spam-bots, please answer this question: What is 2 + 2 (the answer is 4)?

Can a hu-bot answer these questions with the answers provided? Of course they can, which is why it was determined that except on the rarest of occassions, only spam-bots were making attempts to register in our forum.

Silly, silly, silly, but it did make me laugh. Cheesy

Oh, and if you think spammers haven't been able to post spam links in this forum, you haven't been around to see that it happens. They simply post a dozen or so times all over the place to accomplish this task. Thankfully, YaBB's moderators have zapped them away in a timely fashion.

Meanwhile, new members who come here for help are unable to post links as they may need to do. Then again, at least they're able to request help right after they've registered, and that's what counts.

Hopefully we can agree on at least one thing about spam in this forum. That is, it doesn't happen that often, and when it does, YaBB's moderators are pretty quick to get rid of it.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:26pm
Post Tools
Bill - You are entitled to your opinion.

I am inclined to believe that anyone who has stopped hu-bots "stop both hu-bots and spam-bots" has created a question list where only those with specialized knowledge can successfully answer the questions (such as location--or-culture specific, math, fishing, or science questions for instance).  That is an unacceptable method for a general purpose forum, as folks like you or I would not be able to register, eh? (say if we didn't know how to evaluate derivatives, know what the square root of -1 is, or the color of a bass's eye)  Lips Sealed

I will remind you that spam-bots (as far as we know) - can't post after running an automatic registration.  If they could all YaBB Forums would be over-run with SPAM posts, and they aren't.  Wink

Speaking of which - we (yabbforum.com) have no spam-bot registration problem currently. The reason for which I will be explaining in the next few days - it has nothing to do with Anti-spam tools, it does have to do with using YaBB's built-in architecture.  We are discussing if revealing the fix will result in Spam-bots being able to resume registering.  Wink

Please also recall we are not, ever, going to try to 'fix' the 3.0 beta software installed here - we WILL be replacing it in the next few months (as was pointed out in another thread).

And that is that...

Smiley

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 8:42pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 7:22pm:
Unfortunately Bill - there is a terrible logic error in your argument.

That's the irony about the error you perceive as my "terrible logic" even though I remain open to your more logical explanation. After all, you may very well be correct; at least with the semantics, which has nothing to do with the actual facts.

So in any case, what remains a fact is that there are forums whose admins have been able to stop both hu-bots and spam-bots where this forum still has a problem with what you believe are hu-bots. So we've either been incredibly lucky, or as it's more evident, we've simply utilized YaBB's otherwise superb anti-spam features, which this forum clearly has not.

Please give these anti-spam measures a try. They were written specifically for YaBB, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how wonderfully effective they are.

As for those hu-bots you describe, that's the brilliance of the automated programming of spam-bots. Even an expert such as you is easily fooled into thinking that an actual person is the one spamming this forum.

Logically, the only human involved is the person who's been able to fool experts like you into thinking their spam-bot automation is a human. Again, this is brilliant on their part.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #11 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 7:22pm
Post Tools
Unfortunately Bill - there is a terrible logic error in your argument.

Quote:
The real solution is for this support forum to install, and enable anti-spam measures that are known to work so that there are little or no restrictions placed on new members who come here for help.

The logic error is that ONLY human spammers [hu-bots] are currently able to post here on yabbforum.com, and human spammers can that read/write the 'registration languages' can always defeat a Turing test of any sort - that is its definition.

We also are no longer getting any bot-registrations due to a clever admin.

Please let me know when some one comes up with a measure that can do more.

Good Luck
Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 3:55am
Post Tools
J Sheedy wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 12:55am:
I couldn't post the full link to that post because new users cannot post links ...

It seems a reasonable policy... except when the link is the same domain as the site running the forum like this was.

I'm in agreement with you. Sad

I'm pretty sure the restriction on posting links is so that spammers can't come in to spam the forum. But that doesn't actually work. The irony is that spammers simply make enough posts so that they can include links before they are discovered, and their posts are subsequently deleted or moved to a private area of this forum for further review.

So YaBB's policy of restricting links only ends up hurting new forum members whom of course sometimes have a need to post links. Go figure.

The real solution is for this support forum to install, and enable anti-spam measures that are known to work so that there are little or no restrictions placed on new members who come here for help.

IP Logged

J Sheedy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 12:55am
Post Tools
Thanks for the help. Bill, I couldn't post the full link to that post because new users cannot post links or things that remotely resemble them apparently I tried the old (dot) method too. Sorry for the initial confusion there.

It seems a reasonable policy... except when the link is the same domain as the site running the forum like this was.

Thanks again for getting me that file and for giving me a better grasp on what to expect for time on task for the real solution.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2013 at 12:33pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:11pm:

Thanks Derek i was thinking http://www.boardmod.org/mods.php was for 1.x only  Embarrassed i will need to go have a look and see what else is in there as well.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:50pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:11pm:

Thanks Derek
I have an old forum and was wishing to check if this had been installed, sure it was at the time, will check later.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:40pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 6:46pm:
As for the Codex not enough hands to do everything at once.

John, that's a reasonable explanation. I'm with you on that.

However, there's really no good excuse for ignoring relatively simple requests to make a correction here and there to YaBB's codex. Please keep in mind that some of these requests have been made repeatedly over the last couple of years with nothing being done about them; literally nothing. That's inexcusable.

Thankfully, you and the rest of YaBB's team working here in the forum have been doing an outstanding job, and should be applauded. My hope is that your collective minds, in regard to YaBB's codex, will take this lack of management seriously enough to actually do something about it.

So please, to you and the other YaBB team members, apply whatever pressure you can to get things moving along in the way that you've been able to do with this forum.

By the way, I realize it's most certainly a big job to get YaBB's codex back in shape, no doubt. But seriously, is it that unreasonable to ask for an occaisional fix from time to time? Some of these fixes should only take a couple of minutes to correct.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:11pm
Post Tools

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2