Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) v.2.1 security patch dead link (Read 4,878 times)
Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Re: v.2.1 security patch dead link
Reply #15 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:34am
Post Tools
Not sure we can agree with you Bill.

Spam on the forum is not deleted but held in a board by Moderators.  There have been only four spammers post on this forum since Christmas.  These were all human spammers.

Spam-bots have not been able to post on the forum for ages.  Not even sure that any have been able to register for ages either.  The registration statistics certainly do not show that.

Overall I think that is pretty good and manageable.  I know it compares with my own forum that has every anti-spam measure and mod available.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:53am by »  

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:37am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:09am:
I'm using a different method of spam control now,

Would you care to share that as I am sure everybody is interested in any method we all can take to stop spam.

Thanks

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #17 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:58am
Post Tools
Quote:
Not sure we can agree with you Bill.

What? I thought for sure you'd agree that spam in this forum doesn't happen that often, and when it does, YaBB's moderators are pretty quick to get rid of it.

Please keep in mind that you're not the only moderator here, so not everyone may be managing spammers the way you do, or in the way you've been instructed to do.

What I have very happily seen firsthand in front of my eyes as I'm smiling about it is the deletion of multiple spam posts as they are being posted. Post up; post deleted! Post up; post deleted! Post up; post deleted! And so on, and so forth.

What I noticed was that all but one of the spammer's posts were deleted as they were being posted, and the one which was left was moved for review to a private area of YaBB that the public thankfully doesn't have to see.

Quote:
Would you care to share that as I am sure everybody is interested in any method we all can take to stop spam.

That would be ggn's anti-spam hack that Derek Barnstorm coded for YaBB, and of which Dandello has included in one of YaBB's next versions.

I had previously used this anti-spam measure to successfully stop hundreds of thousands of attempted spam-bot registrations. Not one single spam-bot ever got through. Not one! It was so successful that I ended up allowing immediate registrations without any approval at all; not by email or by admin.

Eventually, I somehow messed up the anti-spam question mod, and only had SpamFruits. But at some point spam-bot automation made it possible for spam-bot registrations to get through (likely with hu-bot help), so I once again began using ggn's anti-spam hack.

Since then, and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, not a single spam-bot has been able to register.  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 5:24am
Post Tools
No, no, no Bill. Don't read into things that are not there.

What I am saying is that in my view what has been happening is not significant.

We can only try to stay ahead of them because I doubt we will ever eliminate all of them, especially the human ones.

Remember, someone writes a spam-bot program the same as someone writes an anti-spam mod for the forum.  Sometimes it is a case of who is smarter Smiley

All in my opinion of course.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:06am
Post Tools
Quote:
What I am saying is that in my view what has been happening is not significant.

Remember, someone writes a spam-bot program the same as someone writes an anti-spam mod for the forum.  Sometimes it is a case of who is smarter Smiley

Then we are in agreement after all. Wink

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2013 at 7:08am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools