Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) v.2.1 security patch dead link (Read 4,404 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: v.2.1 security patch dead link
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:03pm
Post Tools
Version 2.1 is no longer actively supported and patching it should not be considered as a viable solution.  Its not primarily a security issue, its a problem both with the current crop of very capable spam-bots (who will auto-register until you want to pull your hair out) and providing support (other than myself, I doubt there's anyone around that has worked much with YaBB 2.0 or 2.1) [or Bill perhaps Wink ].

2.5.2 Has many improvements, plus built-in anti-spam  Smiley

As Xnoddyx indicated, if your forum does not have a lot fo modification, upgrading should not be terribly difficult.

Good Luck
Wink

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2013 at 7:35pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 6:46pm
Post Tools
I was looking for that security patch, Cap'n John sent me a link but its long gone.

As for the Codex not enough hands to do everything at once.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 6:33pm
Post Tools
J Sheedy wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:06pm:
The links in the following post are dead.

/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1192140319

Can anyone point me to a live copy of this patch or are there more security issues with 2.1 than this will solve and I should be looking at full upgrade 2.1=>2.5. Also if full upgrade is nessisary does anyone have wild ball parks on time involved and relative headache?

Thanks.

from the page
Quote:
This patch was included in the code for Y2.2 and still is for newer versions.
so YaBB 2.2 has this fix built into it as to the .zip i cannot find a copy of this for you sorry  Sad

also to the time for upgrading from 2.1 to 2.5.2 will depend on if you have mods on the forum also how big the forum is a standard size forum can take up to 90 minutes this includes all the preparation work as well e.g. backup of the old forum running full Maintenance settings on it setting up and testing YaBB 2.5.2 then make a backup of it then copying all files over that you need from 2.1 to 2.5.2 then running full Maintenance settings on this then testing the forum is working as you you want also checking all settings

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:34pm
Post Tools
J Sheedy wrote on Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:06pm:

There's simply a misspelling of that link in that post. The correct link for Boardmod is as follows:

http://www.boardmod.org/

Unfortunately, nobody's minding the store at YaBB's codex any more, so mistakes like that won't be corrected anytime soon.

Edited:
Oops! I see you meant the zip file that was referenced, and right you are.

Quote:
404 - File Not Found

The requested file wasn't found!

Perhaps you mistyped the URL?
Try going to our homepage at http://www.yabbforum.com to locate the file you were looking for.

Actual bad link: http://www.yabbforum.com/yabbfiles/codexAttachments/profile_register_patched.zip

Thankfully, this forum has staffers on top of everything, so hopefully they'll give you a correct link in a timely fashion.

To those of you on YaBB's team, can you please get somebody - anybody - to attend to YaBB's codex? Every few months for the last couple of years I've requested that the language icons be properly linked so that the page renders properly in Firefox. It's a very easy fix that should only take a few short minutes to correct. Thanks.

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:43pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

J Sheedy
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5
v.2.1 security patch dead link
Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:06pm
Post Tools

Can anyone point me to a live copy of this patch or are there more security issues with 2.1 than this will solve and I should be looking at full upgrade 2.1=>2.5. Also if full upgrade is nessisary does anyone have wild ball parks on time involved and relative headache?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top