Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Software design topic - (Read 6,242 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Software design topic -
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 7:00pm
Post Tools
Carsten set me right on the whole 'YaBB Moderator' thing - it's actually what the rest of us call 'Board Moderator' or just 'Moderator'. It's not in the drop-down because it's a 'soft' position.

So the 'Super Moderator' will be an actual 'non-soft' position.

At minimum, the Super Mod should have access to the member banning functions as well as being a Moderator for all boards. (2.5.4 now also has the ability to assign a member as a regular moderator to all boards in one click. When Carsten tackles a project he really tackles it.  Smiley )

I'm basing this on what other forum software has for similar positions - I'm a moderator on one forum where, although I've been assigned a couple boards to keep an eye on I have full moderator status on every board except for the staff specific ones. I also have access to the user banning, access to staff only discussion areas and staff only email group choices. And no access whatsoever to anything else Admin related - no ability to edit user accounts or make any changes to the functioning of the forum.

So I think that's a good place to start.

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2013 at 7:02pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Software design topic -
Feb 7th, 2013 at 8:01pm
Post Tools
In the 3.0 beta version of YaBB (which runs here @yabbforum.com and will soon be replaced) there is an Admin position of 'YaBB Moderator'.  

This 'position' would work under Admin Edits, and be in the same class of user as Admins and Global Moderators.  Note the word 'would'.  In this software version, the implementation of that idea is non-functional.  'YaBB Moderator' does not appear in the drop-down box of Positions in UCP > Admin Edit.  So we don't know how it was planned or the stage they were at in code development.  Presumably, it would be an "All Boards" - 'Moderator-only' position unlike the "Global Moderator' who is currently a down-sized YaBB Administrator (only one or two Admin functions cannot be delegated to a GM -- and maybe those need an update also).

Here's the question:

What 'powers' should be extended to a 'super-moderator'?

What privileges should he/she have with Member Data etc?

What restricted areas/tools might they need (say in the Admin Center)?

When you are thinking about this, you should refer to the 2.5.4 Alpha software and read Dandello's To-do list to see what new features might come into play...

OTAY - I has setted the agender for ya... Grin

Good Luck and thanks for your support of YaBB
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top