Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic 1.3.1 to 2.5.2 conversion fails (Read 1,298 times)
reolf
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.3
1.3.1 to 2.5.2 conversion fails
Feb 10th, 2013 at 6:14pm
Post Tools
We're trying to migrate to YaBB 2.5.2 from 1.3.1 Gold. The source data is on another server so we've been following the instructions to place the old Members, Messages, Boards and a few files from Variables in the ./Convert folder of the new install. The conversion process does not report any errors but nothing is available in the new site. The new Boards folder contains .txt files of the old boards with board topics, the new Members folder contains only .rlog files for every old member, and the new Messages contains .ctb and .txt files for all the old messages. Yet nothing at all is available in the new installation, no members, posts or boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: 1.3.1 to 2.5.2 conversion fails
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 6:26pm
Post Tools
Hi reolf

can you send me ftp and also admin info for both forums and i will have a look for you.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

reolf
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.3
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 6:38pm
Post Tools
The yabb install is part of a site that I don't have authorization to delegate access. Can I send you stuff instead?
xnoddyx wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 6:26pm:
can you send me ftp and also admin info for both forums and i will have a look for you.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 6:49pm
Post Tools
ok i will pm you the info.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

reolf
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.3
Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:12pm
Post Tools
You nailed the problem right away, xnoddyx. I removed all the embedded carriage return characters in the ./Convert data (Messages, Members, Boards and Variables all had some) and the conversion ran like a dream. Thanks so much for your great help and expertise.

BTW, for anyone else having this problem, the issue was that the content was being loaded onto an Linux YaBB install from a Windows YaBB site. The Windows YaBB site had embedded a lot of carriage return characters that needed to be removed. I got rid of them as follows:

cd Convert
for i in Boards Members Messages Variables
do
  mkdir $i.new
  cd $i
  for j in *
  do
    cat $j | sed -e 's/^M//g' > ../$i.new/$j
  done
  cd ..
  mv $i $i-
  mv $i.new $i
done

The "^M" character above is generated with a Ctrl-G/Ctrl-M sequence.

It would be real nice if the conversion script could at least detect foreign characters and report the error. Would have saved me a good deal of work. Even better, the conversion should strip out the CRs. I'm just saying...

Thanks again, xnoddyx.

xnoddyx wrote on Feb 10th, 2013 at 6:49pm:
ok i will pm you the info.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2013 at 12:07am
Post Tools
Glad it's working. Windows does some interesting things to data - most of it not very good.  Tongue

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools