Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Posting words in between pictures (Read 1,062 times)
JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Posting words in between pictures
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:49pm
Post Tools
@ Bill Myers - Good Tip

@ OP:
Quote:
There are users on my forum, however, that want to do this, and I know that no matter how well I explained it, or even if I showed them your video, they wouldn't be able to do it or have the patience to.  It would be nice if I could attach, then write some words, attach then write some words, etc.  It would have to be a new feature built in to yabb I guess.

That level of customized feature should really be requested as a 'mod' first (IMO).  Its quite complicated and there may be more than one approach.  The two spots for mod requests are:

Board Mod:
http://www.boardmod.org/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=beta_y25

Carsten's YaBB Mod Forum -
http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Thanks and good luck
Cool
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:50pm by JonB »  

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:49pm
Post Tools
slaborde wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:31pm:
I want control of the pictures, I want them on my server.

If you've watched xnoddyx's video, then you can see how it's done. He illustrates it perfectly.

I've added my comments to let you know I've been posting pics for one of our sites that's been using a YaBB forum since 2002. That site currently has over 78,000 pics, and of course there are many videos and stories as well.

Depending on how many pics you want to be showcasing in any given post, one thing you may need to be concerned about is the load time of each page in your forum when you include pics.

As an example, what we've done is to more or less duplicate the publication of pics that are showcased on the main pages of our site, and preview/post them in our forum. Of course, instead of using regular HTML code, in our forum we use YaBBC tags as you're already well aware how to do.

To best deal with load time, we almost always use thumbnails of larger pics so that each page in the forum loads more quickly than it otherwise would if the pics were already at their largest size.

Actual example:

This is YaBB's logo, which is used in this forum's header.

The thumbnail and the link to the larger pic is coded as follows:

Code
Select All
[url=http://www.yabbforum.com/img/header2_left.png][img]http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-prn1/c139.7.61.61/s60x60/62984_434070810097_744518_n.jpg[/img][/url] 

Of course, what you want to be doing in your forum may be very different than what we do in our forum. In any case, this is another option for you to consider.

By the way, what I described is much easier to do than it might seem. For me, it's 2nd nature, and involves routine copying and pasting of previous posts that are then edited accordingly.

Note: In a YaBB text window, even after you've stretched it as far as it will so, the coding to post thumbnails with links to pics will come across as jumbled, and hard to edit. However, there are a couple of ways around this so that it becomes very easy to quickly edit 20 or more pics at any given time within one post.

Good luck, and have lots of fun!  Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:47pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:28pm:
xnoddyx wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:21pm:
ah ok i see what you are meaning now i have asked for a inline add of image Attachments before but to no avail i will Reask for this.

http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb254/YaBB.pl?num=1358879980/55#55

Smiley

Shocked i missed that one  Embarrassed thanks Derek  Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:28pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:21pm:
ah ok i see what you are meaning now i have asked for a inline add of image Attachments before but to no avail i will Reask for this.

http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb254/YaBB.pl?num=1358879980/55#55

Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:21pm
Post Tools
slaborde wrote on Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:12pm:
It would have to be a new feature built in to yabb I guess.  Thanks so much for your help.   

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

slaborde
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 4:12pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the great video xnoddyx.  Yes, I understand what you are doing, and it is indeed a way to do what I wanted.  Unfortunately there is now two sets of pictures -- the first set using the insert and the second set using the attachment feature.  But it is a way to do it all at once, I understand.

There are users on my forum, however, that want to do this, and I know that no matter how well I explained it, or even if I showed them your video, they wouldn't be able to do it or have the patience to.  It would be nice if I could attach, then write some words, attach then write some words, etc.  It would have to be a new feature built in to yabb I guess.  Thanks so much for your help.   Grin

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:39pm
Post Tools
as in my last post see video of how it works.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

slaborde
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:31pm
Post Tools
Yes, I can use photobucket or any other free file server, but I want control of the pictures, I want them on my server.

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:21pm
Post Tools
Can you not use photobucket?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

slaborde
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Post Tools
Yes I understand and have already done the method you described, however, it still requires that the picture first be uploaded to the server.  I guess I should have said, "How can I use the attachment button and post words between pictures?" In this way I would be able to upload and write descriptions between pictures at the same time.  I guess there's not an easy way unfortunately.   Cry

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2013 at 2:37pm
Post Tools
if you take the url of where the Attachments are saved you can work out what the url for your Attachments will be on this forum the Attachments are here
http://www.yabbforum.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/

so if you take this info and i.e.

Code
Select All
[img]http://www.yabbforum.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/??[/img]

then where ?? is replace it with the name of your picture e.g.
the picture name say it is me_at_work.jpg so the url you satrt with is
http://www.yabbforum.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/??

and you endup with http://www.yabbforum.com/yabbfiles/Attachments/me_at_work.jpg

hope this is of help to you  Smiley

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

slaborde
YaBB Newcomer

Posting words in between pictures
Feb 12th, 2013 at 1:39pm
Post Tools
There are many times I would like to attach a picture, have short description, and then post another picture, etc., but within the same single post.  I can sort of accomplish the same thing by posting a separate post for each individual picture but its a waste of space, time, and my patience.  Is there not any other way to do this besides not already having it uploaded on a server and using the insert image button?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top