Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) SMTP error from remote mail server (Read 7,868 times)
forumguy99

SMTP error from remote mail server
Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:20am
Post Tools
I used the e-mail members and got many e-mails back immediately saying:

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    host mx4.hotmail.com
550 Action not taken

Whats the likely problem.

IP Logged

forumguy99

Re: SMTP error from remote mail server
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:34am
Post Tools
The same people, e-mails, get their password.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:40am
Post Tools
What version of YaBB are you running? Older versions of mail members have a bug. It's also possible that the hotmail server doesn't like 'mass' emails. Passwords are sent out individually.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:16pm
Post Tools
I suggest you test sending mail from the Admin Center to one or two recipients individually - see if you get the same error.

Good Luck
Cool

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:29pm
Post Tools
you can do a test on mail-tester.com to see if there is something wrong in your e-mail.

also it may be your SPF record in your DNS settings

Sender Policy Framework (SPF)
The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol permits any computer to send email claiming to be from any source address. This is exploited by spammers who often use forged email addresses, making it more difficult to trace a message back to its sender, and easy for spammers to hide their identity in order to avoid responsibility. It is also used in phishing techniques, where users can be duped into disclosing private information in response to an email purportedly sent by an organization such as a bank.

SPF allows the owner of an Internet domain to specify which computers are authorized to send mail with sender addresses in that domain, using special Domain Name System (DNS) records (SPF, type 99). Receivers verifying the SPF records may reject messages from unauthorized sources before receiving the body of the message. Thus, the principles of operation are similar to those of DNS-based blackhole lists (DNSBL), except that SPF uses the authority delegation scheme of the Domain Name System. Early implementations used TXT records for implementation before the new record type was commonly available in DNS software. Use of TXT records for SPF was intended as a transitional mechanism. However, according to the current RFC, RFC 4408, section 3.1.1, "An SPF-compliant domain name SHOULD have SPF records of both RR types. A compliant domain name MUST have a record of at least one type," and as such, TXT record use is not deprecated.
read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

in and out
1) you send an email from yourdomain.com
2) the receiving server checks yourdomain.com's DNS for an SPF record
3) then it validates the server that sent the mail against the spec to see if it is "authorized" to send mail on your behalf.

It is intended to stop people "spoofing" - or faking - your domain name on mail.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:57pm
Post Tools
For what it is worth, in my experience, SPF records are rarely present in the DNS zones of anything but large IT-Savvy organizations.

Wink

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 6:10pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:57pm:
For what it is worth, in my experience, SPF records are rarely present in the DNS zones of anything but large IT-Savvy organizations.

Wink

yes but hotmail has started to check mass email senders also gmail this is why a registration email will be sent but when
forumguy99 wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:20am:
I used the e-mail members and got many e-mails back immediately saying:

host mx4.hotmail.com
550 Action not taken

Whats the likely problem.

and what makes me think it is the SPF record.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 6:18pm
Post Tools
Could it possibly be related to the little bug in Mailer.pl where the 'from' info wasn't being processed properly? I'm thinking it might not affect single emails, but bunches might trigger something on the SMTP side if they're really security conscious.

Just a wild guess.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 6:22pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 6:18pm:
Could it possibly be related to the little bug in Mailer.pl where the 'from' info wasn't being processed properly? I'm thinking it might not affect single emails, but bunches might trigger something on the SMTP side if they're really security conscious.

Just a wild guess.

good thinking batman i forgot all about that.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 8:35pm
Post Tools
@ xnoddyx if it was an SPF issue, their password e-mails would have bounced as well.  Wink

IP Logged

forumguy99

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:33am
Post Tools
Using Yabb 2.5AE
I first thought the e-mails were old, dead, and ended up deleting a bunch of members.

I tested it to a yahoo e-mail member, password word was sent but not using 'send members e-mails', one at a time or more.

I had a spammer send e-mails from an e-mail on my domain months back and security was improved so that cant happen again. 

They came back from yahoo. The error code was
    host mta5.am0.yahoodns.net 550 Action not taken

I contacted yahoo and they said, "We encourage you to review some of our recommended best practices for sending to Yahoo! Mail." http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN3435

New discovery, I sent an e-mail using "e-mail members" to the yahoo e-mail member on a YaBB 2.4! forum and it went through!. The e-mail settings are the same on both forums such as /usr/sbin/sendmail but I dont know what I used for 'SMTP Authorization Password'. I dont think I put a password in.

Obviously the password is being sent out differently than the e-mail members is. Thanks for all the replies. I dont know how to fix the problem. Looks like the difference in between the 2 yabb forums, 2.5AE, not going through and yabb 2.4 that it is ok.

IP Logged

forumguy99

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:41am
Post Tools
The security for e-mail that was improved, the hosting company...
"installed SPF and domain key to your domain DNS"

That cant be the issue however because 'e-mail members' worked on yabb 2.4

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 6:49am
Post Tools
The differences in code between the 2.4 version of MailMembers.pl and the 2.5AE version are subtle but real.

I see no reason why you couldn't try using the 2.4 version of MailMembers in your 2.5AE install and see what happens. (Make sure you keep a copy of the 2.5 version in a safe place just in case.) The worse that will happen is you might get script errors.

The fact that members are getting the passwords means you have those email settings correct. The problem (as you describe it) appears to be specific to the MailMembers.pl file.

IP Logged

forumguy99

Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 9:52pm
Post Tools
I tried it. Uploaded 2.4 version of MailMembers.pl in 2.5AE install. Same problem. I noticed that with 2.5AE I had a saved MailMembers.pl, so it must of been one that had to be fixed with some code.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:19pm
Post Tools
forumguy99 wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 4:20am:
550 Action not taken

As I understand this error message, it simply means the address you're sending your message to no longer exists (or it didn't exist in the first place).

I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe YaBB's error messages about this is supposed to be happening, i.e., maybe YaBB is working the way it's supposed to when an email address isn't available.

Edited:
Then again ...

forumguy99 wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:33am:
New discovery, I sent an e-mail using "e-mail members" to the yahoo e-mail member on a YaBB 2.4! forum and it went through!

I realize this probably won't make you feel any better, but neither AOL nor Yahoo email servers accept automated emails from our 2.4 version when people have registered.

Thankfully, at the present time members don't need to confirm their memberships in email, so they can simply use their account after registering, which I've explained to AOL and Yahoo account holders.

Also thankfully, AOL and Yahoo account holders can receive email replies from us whenever they send a message to us, which is all I need since I don't send unsolicited messages.

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2013 at 11:51pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools