Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Self-installation of YaBB? (Read 3,876 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Self-installation of YaBB?
Feb 13th, 2013 at 5:55pm
Post Tools
Can the following be true?

Quotation's Source:
Quote:
Break after five years ....

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Self-installation of YaBB?
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 8:27pm
Post Tools
I guess so - Its the highly advanced 1.4 version though

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:20pm
Post Tools
Right you are.

I did notice what you pointed out after I saw what was/is being offered. I guess the concept of self-installation for YaBB got me so excited that I posted what I did even though it's clearly out of date.

Hopefully, after his apparent 5 year absence, this obviously very good developer will become active with YaBB again so that all of us can benefit.
Meanwhile, please keep up the great work with all that you do for YaBB. Smiley

By the way, this weather mod for YaBB that he authored looks interesting (showcased here).

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:30pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 12:28am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:20pm:
I guess the concept of self-installation for YaBB got me so excited that I posted what I did even though it's clearly out of date.

A self instal of YaBB has been around for ages.  It has been available, if your host adds it to cPanel.  A push of a button, add a few details and away it goes.  Takes seconds.

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1224097366/0#0

What I personally didn't/don't like about it is that it doesn't put the files according to what you see in the Quick Guide.  They are all under the same folder (no cgi-bin).  This makes it difficult to follow in Paths.pl

A lot of people have installed this way though.

Not sure what version they made available to.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:07am
Post Tools
2.3.1 is the most current version I'm aware of for cPanel installs

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:08am
Post Tools
Thanks Derek. I had forgotten about this.

Edited:
Dandello wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:07am:
2.3.1 is the most current version I'm aware of for cPanel installs

This could have been a good example of how there is indeed a way to have YaBB self-installed. One developer on YaBB's team in particular has always maintained that self-installation of YaBB can't be done for a variety of reasons. Or perhaps more accurately, it's not something that will happen for a long time to come.

In any case, at some point when YaBB's team members decide they want to do it, the option to self-install YaBB will grow this forum software much more quickly than it otherwise would since installation of YaBB can be overwhelming for YaBB's community at large.

As for this post regarding the cpanel developer that works/worked with YaBB on the cPanel based installer, it's best to read through that entire topic since cpanel's self-installation of YaBB may not be what it claims to be.

At least it's a relief to know that self-installation of YaBB can indeed be accomplished. Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:10am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:35am
Post Tools
A cPanel install is for a specific OS and specific server with predetermined paths - which cPanel already knows.

If we were designing YaBB to be for cPanel installation only, then auto-install would be easy. There would be no path parameters to worry about (those would be predetermined by the people adding it to cPanel), no Module checking (that would be done before hand), no permissions concerns (again, set up by the people adding it to cPanel).

Because of the work done before hand getting it set up to be installed from cPanel, it can be 'auto-installed' - because all the hard work has already been done for the end user.

But YaBB needs to be able to run on hundreds, if not thousands, of possible variations of OS, server, Perl version, module paths, host permission sets. Actually, if you look at the number of non-spambot members of this forum  you probably have a good number of how many different combinations of Server/OS/Perl YaBB has run or is running on.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:01am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 3:35am:
A cPanel install is for a specific OS and specific server with predetermined paths - which cPanel already knows.

The way you've explained this makes perfect sense. Smiley

Now that I'm remembering, the other YaBB team member who explained this before stated what you've stated. Still ...

... and this is what confuses me so much ... how is it that at least one other forum software has a self-installation option? I should point out that the software I'm referring to actually forked off from an earlier version of YaBB.

When I used the other software's self-installation option, the forum software was operational within a few short minutes. The way it worked reminded me a lot of how BoardMod works.

In any case, while a self-installation option for YaBB would surely help YaBB to grow its admin membership base quite nicely, I suppose with videos like John's wonderful "How To Install by xnoddyx" YaBB 2.5.2 video, that can be a great tool to help people install YaBB successfully.

Source Of One Happy YaBBer's Quotation:
Quote:
After trying for days to install Yabb and failing, I found this vid tutorial and it worked the first time.

Helpful hint: Load John's video to its larger size in YouTube. Or better yet perhaps, as I've done, save his video onto your computer so that you can play it full screen, and then pause or rewind it as needed.

Popcorn is optional. Cheesy

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:12am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:22am
Post Tools
The cPanel install did not use the cgi-bin when I tried it. This made adding mods very difficult.

Also once mods added you could not use cPanel to update your forum.

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:24am by depablo »  

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 9:08am
Post Tools
I suppose the bottom line is that every forum software has its own benefits, and its own flaws.

As for my wish to have a self-installation option for YaBB, in a way we kind of have that option available to us now in the name of xnoddyx because of how incredibly generous he's been with helping people install YaBB.
He has literally done it for them!  Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2013 at 9:11am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 9:19am
Post Tools
xnoddyx reminds me of smith21, he was a legend doing installs.

Your only here as long as your personal life allows it, then someone else takes up the challenge.

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:10pm
Post Tools
With the new changes in CHMOD, YaBB 2.5.2 was one of the easiest installs I have ever done, as was my test forum of YaBB 2.5.4

From memory after uploading there were very few files where permissions had to be changed from what they were. (I use FileZilla to FTP)

I am actually quite amazed the ground that YaBB is making up.  Some fantastic mods are available for current versions and with a lot of those standard features for future releases it can only get better.

One big disappointment was the disappearance of Jeffery Man (Jet Li). His mods were not on BoardMod but linked to his own site which is now off line or gone so unless he returns to YaBB we will loose them for current and future versions of YaBB.

WHERE ARE YA JEFF.  Cheesy

All those dedicated to YaBB Development and the Mod Writers who are ever so helpful deserve a big pat on the back.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:35pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:01am:
... and this is what confuses me so much ... how is it that at least one other forum software has a self-installation option? I should point out that the software I'm referring to actually forked off from an earlier version of YaBB.

If you're referring to the one I think you're referring to - that's in PHP. PHP is a whole different animal - it doesn't use or need a cgi-bin and read/write permissions are built-in to the PHP 'server' on the host. PHP (as far as I understand its history) was written to be a 'stripped down, brain-dead easy' way to get a certain amount of Perl functionality onto servers where the host didn't want to run the risk of having people running Perl scripts and breaking important things.

Not to diss the people who love PHP, but PHP was designed from the beginning to be user friendly and brain-dead easy. It was designed with limited options so users didn't have to make decisions or add things to make it work. And knowing exactly what those options are makes it easy to built something that knows those what those options are and will auto-install.

That said, we are looking at ways to make the YaBB install even easier.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 7:54pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:35pm:
If you're referring to the one I think you're referring to - that's in PHP. PHP is a whole different animal - it doesn't use or need a cgi-bin and read/write permissions are built-in to the PHP 'server' on the host. PHP (as far as I understand its history) was written to be a 'stripped down, brain-dead easy' way to ...
Ah yes, and right you are as usual. Smiley

As for their self-installation being a stripped down, brain-dead easy way to do it, this is what's desired by us stripped down, brain-dead Yabbers.

We ain't got the smarts you have, and need every bit of help we can get! Cheesy

In any case, thanks again for accurately explaining this. I appreciate it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo