Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Slow Load Time (Read 1,056 times)
Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Slow Load Time
Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:38am
Post Tools
I have a forum member somewhere in the boondocks of Canada.  I believe she is either on dial-up or weak wireless internet.

For a long time she has been complaining that my forum is much slower to load a page when she is logged in as to what it would take if she isn't logged in.  Hence she only logs onto the forum to post something and is now quite irate with the new Must View mod.

Can anyone suggest anything where I can help her out.

Thanks

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Slow Load Time
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:32am
Post Tools
she may even be on the older (Satellite Broadband 128 / 256 Kbps)
also if she is that upset about the load time she must be loading at speeds under 128 Kbps
as a size of 492 KB @ 128 Kbps will take 31s and 1.03s @ 64 Kbps
all i can suggest to you is if you can make her a stripped down template like removing all the styling images and that for her is the only thing i can think of for you.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 6:24am
Post Tools
I think some of the issues actually are that I have the Advertisement Mod that puts three Google Ads on each thread as well as main template as well.  I also have a Facebook Like on the main template.

Do you think that if I was to set up the standard template with the default.css and call it a different name that it could make it any easier for her for her???

I don't see how I can remove the Advertising Mod just for one person

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:09pm
Post Tools
i want to check some stuff out and will get back to you.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 2:20pm
Post Tools
what i was looking for was
Enable Allow members template Select but can't see it
and i am shore yabb had this as well Sad

Quote:
Do you think that if I was to set up the standard template with the default.css and call it a different name that it could make it any easier for her for her???

you can always give it a shot as i can see it slowing her down more than she is now.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:04pm
Post Tools
Members being able to choose a template is the default - there's no on/off switch. If there's more than one template, they will all show up as a choice.

So, if you create a stripped down template, everyone will be able to access it - and avoid the ads. (Maybe, you could ask for a mod that will allow you to allow certain Member Groups to access and change templates then assign this one member to that group?)

In the meantime, creating a stripped down template won't hurt and will let you know if it works fpr her.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:06pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools