Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Name for the new moderator position (Read 4,518 times)
The Boy

Re: Name for the new moderator position
Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 9:04pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 8:25pm:
Which makes my Vote go for 'Forum Moderator'

Yeah, that works for me.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 8:28pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:44pm:
I don't see that changing (I have one forum where the admin's public title is 'Chair' - as in Chairperson) - but the default name for the documentation needs to be understandable too.

Among other good points you bring up, I'm glad that admins will still have the ability to change/edit names. It's always good to have choices.

I agree that the default name for the documentation needs to be understandable; all over the world as it's translated, as much as that's possible.

On that note, I can see how "Chair" can be translated literally. Cheesy

As it happened inadvertently, the very first domain name I purchased has an alternate meaning in pretty much every other language. It's the same basic alternate meaning in those languages; even in English as it turns out. I didn't think about that when the group I was involved in suggested the name. I laugh about it now, but that kind of thing can happen.

Thankfully, things worked out well for us despite the goof. Besides, had I known then what I now fully realize about the alternate meaning, I would have stayed with the same name anyway. Go figure.

At least "moderator" is a literal Latin translation (as well as "administrator"), which is a universal language. The names are the same in both Latin and English.

In any case, I'm not worried. I trust the YaBB team to come up with a reasonably good name. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 8:25pm
Post Tools
Derek is right (I never used it - I created a PIG called Moderators)

Which makes my Vote go for 'Forum Moderator'

Wink

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:53pm
Post Tools
Forum Moderator for a "just" Moderator for all Boards

Rename Moderator to Board Moderator

or

Boards Moderator

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:44pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 6:53pm:
On that note, this discussion illustrates how people think differently about assigning names. Even among this small group there is more than one opinion. That is why I would love to see the continuing ability through the Admin Center to be able to edit/change whatever names are decided upon by YaBB's team.

I don't see that changing (I have one forum where the admin's public title is 'Chair' - as in Chairperson) - but the default name for the documentation needs to be understandable too. But some things that seem to make perfect sense in English just don't translate well into other languages. And then there's the nomenclature used by other software where board and forum mean the opposite of what YaBB means by the same terms, which seems to be part of the problem as well.

Currently in 2.5.4 the positions as listed in Settings are:
Administrator -> YaBB Administrator
Global Moderator -> Global Moderator
Mid Moderator -> Forum Moderator
Moderator -> Moderator

(The Mid Moderator key is so the positions will alphabetize properly - but that's only for the hash keys. They could be labeled Position1, Position2, Position3, Position4, as far as function is concerned. (And don't think I haven't thought of that.  Tongue ) But the hash key should never be seen except when someone is actually working directly with the code.

So we're trying to get a consensus on the initial (default) name for this position that makes sense and will translate.

And if we think it would be better to rename the current Global Moderator position to Admin Assistant, then that frees up the Global Moderator title for the new position.

Edited:
There was some confusion in going over the 3.0 code concerning the Moderator position. It looked like someone had started adding some additional functionality to it, but it wasn't finished. And that led us to believe they were planning on changing that position but never finished or changed their minds. OR, equally likely, in restructuring things, that section of code became so convoluted we got lost trying to figure it out.

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:52pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:41pm
Post Tools
Jon,

Where are you getting this "YaBB3 YaBB Moderator" from? I don't remember anything about there being another mod group adding to YaBB3.

If you're talking about the position in Admin Center => Member Groups, then that is the board moderator position which has been there for as long as I can remember. It's there so you can change the color, stars etc. information...
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:44pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:32pm
Post Tools
OK - I have to say NOOOO to the italicized part of this:

Quote:
I'm tending toward the idea of renaming Global Moderator to Admin Assistant. Then the new moderator position can be Global Moderator or Forum Moderator.

Talk about a way to have support issue confusion.

Let us just agree that Global Moderator may be a bit misleading -

BUT -

A. Its a going part of YaBB's culture, functionality and code - and has been since 2.x (apparently).  I never ran a 1.x forum so I can't speak to that.

B. Talk about headaches for upgrades/going forums.

C. ALL the changes needed.

D. How to handle the politics of existing GM's being made into Admin Assistants?

---------------------------------------------------

We only need a name for the 'new' position - it should be unique.

For what it is worth, there's another Candidate - what it is in 3.0:

"YaBB Moderator"

Its a position (comes from an Admin Edit), works like what is developed for 2.5.4., it simply was not finished (And that is why it is not in use here - I tested it and found it was not complete).

I suggest we choose between "YaBB Moderator" and "Forum Moderator"

Wink

BTW - my Admin Assistant comment was a JOKE although clearly not a very good one.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:34pm by JonB »  

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 6:58pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 6:53pm:
That is why I would love to see the continuing ability through the Admin Center to be able to edit/change whatever names are decided upon

I wish it was that easy with real life names. Cheesy

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 6:53pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 5:29pm:
it is very important as it is needed for documentation and the default name is also needed for translation as well.

Good point. Of course default names are needed, and so they will be determined by YaBB's team.

On that note, this discussion illustrates how people think differently about assigning names. Even among this small group there is more than one opinion. That is why I would love to see the continuing ability through the Admin Center to be able to edit/change whatever names are decided upon by YaBB's team.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 5:49pm
Post Tools
JonB wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 10:50am:
Gee, I thought we had agreed on 'Forum Moderator' at some point???

Huh

And then things got lost in translation (into German). I'm tending toward the idea of renaming Global Moderator to Admin Assistant. Then the new moderator position can be Global Moderator or Forum Moderator.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 5:52pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 5:29pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 3:56pm:
How important is it to come up with a proper name for a new moderator position? After all, admins can change the names as desired.

it is very important as it is needed for documentation and the default name is also needed for translation as well.

i think Forum Moderator as it does what it says on the tin Forum Moderator moderates the whole forum just what i think.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 5:19pm
Post Tools
Derek, thanks for the tips. I appreciate them. Cool

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 4:09pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Feb 27th, 2013 at 3:56pm:
On a related note, I've noticed that other forums have the ability to hide the position of moderators, i.e., people aren't aware that these otherwise stealth moderators can moderate the forum. I know YaBB can enable stealth mode for Admins and Gmods, but that's different since their position is still listed.

Hiding the position of moderators could be a useful feature, although it's bothersome for me personally because it's less transparent.

Edit Member Groups:

Quote:
Public
If you uncheck this option, the stars, title and color of this Member Group are hidden, therefore they will look like regular users. NOTE: This does not apply to post-dependent groups, whose stars/title/colors cannot be hidden.

Their name would still appear on the board index and message index, but that would be easy enough to remove from the template files.

Edited:
Or you could set up a new post-independent 'Moderator Group' with the above option unchecked. That way, their name wouldn't be displayed on the board index and message index.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 4:19pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 3:56pm
Post Tools
How important is it to come up with a proper name for a new moderator position? After all, admins can change the names as desired.

On a related note, I've noticed that other forums have the ability to hide the position of moderators, i.e., people aren't aware that these otherwise stealth moderators can moderate the forum. I know YaBB can enable stealth mode for Admins and Gmods, but that's different since their position is still listed.

Hiding the position of moderators could be a useful feature, although it's bothersome for me personally because it's less transparent.

In our forum when I've wanted to try it, I've hidden the status of moderators by having them use a separate account such as Aministrator 2 or Moderator 2, etc.

IP Logged

JonB
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 2:11pm
Post Tools
LOL - the real problem is that the Global Moderator isn't a Moderator really in YaBB.  This may be a U.S. only joke, but the mighty Global Moderator is really an 'Administrative Assistant'. 

I'm kinda opposed to 'Local' as it implies one locale or subset and that's what a Board Moderator or Moderator Group is (although it is mot a position).

just my 2˘

thanks
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top