Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A single board inaccessible (Read 1,712 times)
tonyevans
YaBB Newcomer

A single board inaccessible
Mar 3rd, 2013 at 3:08am
Post Tools
Hi - My forum just passed it's 3rd birthday and has been running great but all of a sudden today one thread will not respond so I guess it is a bad file but I can not find where the file is stored for the thread text?

I would like to see if I can just replace that file from the backup as there has been a fair few messages put up since my last back-up yesterday and I don't want to loose them if at all possible.

Any help gratefully received - Tony (Head Grumpy Old Man)

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: A single board inaccessible
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 5:02am
Post Tools
You should be able to find what you're looking for in your Boards folder. So it might look something like the following (the one below I'm guessing is yours):

/cgi-bin/forum/yabb/board/Budget

Edited:
tonyevans wrote on Mar 3rd, 2013 at 5:45am:
I don't know where you got those paths from but my forum is at http://www.thegomc.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

Huh Ah yes, yours is /Boards/Stamp3.txt

In that folder, just look for the board that has the thread that isn't responding, and replace it with a backup.

So if your board is named Budget as it appears to be, then you'll be looking for a file named Budget.txt to be replaced.

Before you do this, I recommend you first download an extra copy of Budget.txt in case it's needed. Be sure to upload your file as ASCII text.

By the way, you should be okay with that particular board/thread since there evidently hasn't been a post there since January 19th.

Hint: With backups it's good to have at least a 2nd and older backup in case you end up inadvertently backing up a corrupted file.

It's certainly overkill, but our forum usually has 4-5 backups at any given time (we currently have 10 backups). There have been times, for instance, when I've had to retrieve a file from an older backup because a newer backup had the same corrupted file in it that was on the server. I don't remember having to go back farther than a 2nd backup, but you never know. An older backup might be needed.

By the way, have you run Rebuild Message Index and Recount Board Totals in Maintenance Controls? That may be all that's needed.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:11am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

tonyevans
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 5:45am
Post Tools
I don't know where you got those paths from but my forum is at http://www.thegomc.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl

The board that won't load is "Any questions you like" in "Stamp Chatter"

But I will have a look around in the area of the install you suggest and yes I keep 4 to five back-ups.

Thank you - Tony

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 5:56am
Post Tools
My bad about your forum location. Sorry. I took a wild guess. Roll Eyes

By the way, it was very clever of you to register people in your forum the way that you do.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:02am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

tonyevans
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:03am
Post Tools
No - Still the same - It is just the one board that hangs.

The board that won't load is "Any questions you like" in "Stamp Chatter"

Tony
Sorry I had it block from sight  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:06am by tonyevans »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:21am
Post Tools
I'm now remembering that another person had this same exact problem you're having (including myself), and he/I fixed it simply by adding a new post to the thread that was hanging.

While that thread in your forum isn't loading the normal way, it's still accessible by clicking on the post that's listed as the last post.

You can click this link to get there, or you can click this link to see the 1st post in that thread. As such, maybe you can try posting a test post to see if your problem gets cleared up.

By the way, until you get this fixed for real, maybe you can post a link to that board in the temporary board you created (for a reference), so that people can post new replies if they want.

Later on when you get that board working properly again, you can simply move any new post that may have been made over to the original board, and then close the temporary board.

Good luck!

Edited:
Makes me think you need to enable the Recount Board Totals in your Admin Center.

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:30am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

tonyevans
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:31am
Post Tools
I can post to that thread but I still can not get into the board itself - Tony

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:34am
Post Tools
Makes me think you need to enable the Recount Board Totals in your Admin Center. Have you tried that? That shouldn't break anything.

Or maybe it's a permissions issue. You may as well check that as well.

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:39am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

tonyevans
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:40am
Post Tools
I tried the re-Build message index and it got part way through and then hung.

I will try the other things on that list but have to go cook right now so it will have to wait till later - Thanks for the help - Tony

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:43am
Post Tools
tonyevans wrote on Mar 3rd, 2013 at 6:40am:
I tried the re-Build message index and it got part way through and then hung.

I'm pretty sure you're on the money with that one.

See below ...

speake wrote on Nov 11th, 2012 at 11:04am:
Looks like the Rebuild Message Index finally worked. Just checked the forum this morning and all is well again. Host server must have been busy on Friday afternoon.

Thanks for all the help.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 4:58pm
Post Tools
Hi tonyevans

can you pm me admin info and also ftp login info and i will have a look for you as it looks like one of the control files has been corrupted or the link is mismatched now and i may need to hand edit some files for you as well.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 6:33am
Post Tools
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top