Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic 2.5 to 2.52 on different server. Unclear instructions... (Read 1,246 times)
UplandUK
YaBB Newcomer

None
2.5 to 2.52 on different server. Unclear instructions...
Mar 4th, 2013 at 10:48am
Post Tools
Hi,
I thought this would be quite a straightforward operation as I have a very vanilla installation. I have been operating 2.5AE since 2010 but I need to move it to a new server. I thought I would grab the latest version (2.52 in the process).  My problem is that the upgrade/migration instructions are ambiguous (to me) .. despite reading them many times and also looking around for help elsewhere.

The instructions are here:
Yabbforum codex num=1190674425 
( sorry - I am not allowed to post a real link here yet )

It does not start off by saying if the new forum should be installed (setup). I have downloaded and unzipped yabb 2.52 onto the new ubuntu server and set all the chmod etc .. now I have come to a halt.

Reading the instructions it says things like "copy the following files from your OLD forum into the same folders in your NEW forum:"  and "move the renamed files into cgi-bin/yabb2/Variables/ of your new forum." so from this I am assuming the new forum must be installed - but should it be setup and running?

The confusion comes from reading the instructions above and then lower down I read: "With your backups in hand, you can now begin to setup your new server." ... so "in hand" means what? I would interpret this as you have the files but did nothing with them yet. (despite the copy/replace instructions above)

Further down the page there are the instructions "Please make sure that your new installation is working as expected before moving on to the final step. The final step in the process is to upload the directories we downloaded from your old board and overwrite the existing files on the new"  ... this seems very clear and explicit - but I would have expected to read this warning at the top of the page - before the instruction to "copy the following files from your OLD forum into the same folders in your NEW forum:" which are near the top.

Maybe I am being stupid ... but it's a nerve-wracking operation to migrate a Yabb Forum (at least for me) .. I just need crystal clear, unambiguous instructions .. such as:
1 ) Install the new Yabb and make sure it's working properly.
2 ) back up the following files from the old Yabb and overwrite into the new installation.

Is this the correct interpretation?  ie. Do I install 2.52 by running Setup? Do I then copy across ALL the backed up files listed in the instructions in one fell swoop? ... and then: login as Admin, rebuild notifications, rebuild indexes, rebuild history.... in that exact order?

Many thanks for your patience!

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: 2.5 to 2.52 on different server. Unclear instructions...
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 3:38pm
Post Tools
UplandUK wrote on Mar 4th, 2013 at 10:48am:
2 ) back up the following files from the old Yabb and overwrite into the new installation.

Is this the correct interpretation?  ie. Do I install 2.52 by running Setup? Do I then copy across ALL the backed up files listed in the instructions in one fell swoop? ... and then: login as Admin, rebuild notifications, rebuild indexes, rebuild history.... in that exact order?

Yes.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

UplandUK
YaBB Newcomer

None
Re: 2.5 to 2.52 on different server. Unclear instructions...
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 9:42pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 4th, 2013 at 3:38pm:
UplandUK wrote on Mar 4th, 2013 at 10:48am:

Is this the correct interpretation?  ie. Do I install 2.52 by running Setup? Do I then copy across ALL the backed up files listed in the instructions in one fell swoop? ... and then: login as Admin, rebuild notifications, rebuild indexes, rebuild history.... in that exact order?

Yes.

Thanks for the confirmation. Worked perfectly  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools