Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Google Chrome & Flash (Read 3,701 times)
------
Beta Testers

Google Chrome & Flash
Mar 8th, 2013 at 12:13am
Post Tools
It looks like the latest version of Chrome doesn't allow flash which means any videos posted using can not be viewed on the forum, just like users of iPads and other apple product.

Some of page source code from YaBB
Code
Select All
<div class="message" style="float: left; width: 99%; overflow: auto;">
			<br /><br /><object classid="CLSID:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="600" height="516" codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash7/cabs/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EK448h_C4x0" /><param name="loop" value="false" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name='bgcolor' value="#FFFFFF" /><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EK448h_C4x0" width="600" height="516" loop="false" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" /></object>
		</div> 

I know there is nothing that can be done but this is really gone to hurt YaBB.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2013 at 12:14am by ------ »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Google Chrome & Flash
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 12:39am
Post Tools
It isn't just YaBB that has problems embedding Flash items. I know of a number of commercial websites that cannot be navigated at all using Chrome because their navigation is all Flash driven and they have no fall-back position. (They are also not at all useful for the visually impaired.)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 4:31am
Post Tools
The video you reference works for me using the latest version of Chrome.

For those of you who can't see the video
above, click here to see it on YouTube.

It also works in our forum just fine.

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:53pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 5:47am
Post Tools
And I just got an upgrade notice for Chrome. And I can confirm that Bill's embedded video works just fine in the version of Chrome that I have (Version 25.0.1364.97 m)
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2013 at 5:49am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 9:21pm
Post Tools
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2013 at 9:21pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 10:05pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Mar 8th, 2013 at 9:21pm:

I'm glad you found a fix so that your Chrome browser works properly with flash videos. This should be very helpful for people who need it.
Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 10:30pm
Post Tools
Doncha just love it when the big guys 'upgrade' things into oblivion?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 10:49pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 8th, 2013 at 10:30pm:

I know! It can be very frustrating. Huh

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 12:55am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 8th, 2013 at 10:30pm:

Urgh!

I'm lovin' the subscription based software that the big boys are trying to sneak past us. (Mircosoft and Adobe to mention 2)

Bill Myers wrote on Mar 8th, 2013 at 10:05pm:
I'm glad you found a fix so that your Chrome browser works properly with flash videos. This should be very helpful for people who need it.

I use FireFox, it was a few members on my forum this brought it to my attention. I keep Chrome on my system just for these special fun-filled occasions.

BTW, my forum turns 11 next month (I've only been running it for that last 4 years) I think it started with Yabb SE
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2013 at 12:58am by ------ »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 2:00am
Post Tools
Firefox is also my browser of choice. Our forum turns 11 this May.

As for videos, our forum is only a secondary place to view them as the main pages of our site include the same videos. Bottom line, we have options.

Edited:
Update: Even though videos in our YaBB forums don't play while using an iPad (their fault; not YaBB's), I just realized they do play just fine while using an iPod. Go figure.

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:14am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 2:03pm
Post Tools
My Forum has 265 topics with videos, some with as many as 5+ videos in a series. I wouldn't be surprised if there where over a 1000 videos in all. Many are posted by members about techniques they developed or found on youtube.

While having separate page(s) for videos is an excellent idea, I don't think I could keep up. But maybe this is something I should consider enlisting a few members to take on.

BTW I have a Galaxy tablet and the videos don't show on YaBB either

I took a quick look at your website, I didn't find any forum there. I wanted to see how you set up the videos.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:07pm
Post Tools
Obviously, embedded video support  (or having secondary links to the videos) is one of the things that needs to be looked at - especially we we start moving toward proper mobile support.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:49pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 2:03pm:
I took a quick look at your website, I didn't find any forum there. I wanted to see how you set up the videos.

Our YaBB forum serves another website on our server. It's been active since 2002. I'll be happy to give you the address if you contact me privately. It's not appropriate to list it here. My email address is public. I have a couple of movie screenings to attend to this afternoon, so expect a delay in getting back to you, but I'll check my email messages afterward.

As or maintaining separate pages for videos, the site with the YaBB forum on it has been online since 1997, so in practice, YaBB is actually the "separate" area that showcases videos (as well as photos, stories, etc.). Our YaBB forum compliments the website, not the other way around, although I do like the idea of exclusively using YaBB for the entire website.

As for keeping up with the broadcasting of videos, it's like anything else that's part of maintaining a website. Depending on how much needs to be done each day, yes, having other people help can sometimes be part of it.

I should point out that not every video in our forum uses the media tag, and that's simply because there are times when it doesn't work (not really a YaBB problem). In those cases, I post a linkable video thumbnail, or as I used to do it in the past, I simply post a link to the video.

If the videos you're broadcasting in your forum are from YouTube, all you need to do for people who can't view them is to add a simple link that opens up the video in YouTube. Place that link underneath, and/or above the video in your forum, and everyone will be able to see the videos.

Example:
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 8th, 2013 at 4:31am:

For those of you who can't see the video
above, click here to see it on YouTube.

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:55pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2013 at 9:29pm
Post Tools
Yes, that is a easy way, its just that I've have this problem directing people away from my forum.

Email Sent, thanks Bill

Dandello wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 4:07pm:
Obviously, embedded video support  (or having secondary links to the videos) is one of the things that needs to be looked at - especially we we start moving toward proper mobile support.

Absolutely
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2013 at 9:30pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2013 at 10:26am
Post Tools
------ wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 9:29pm:
Yes, that is a easy way, its just that I've have this problem directing people away from my forum.

Email Sent, thanks Bill

Ron, I'll get to your email later on today after I get some sleep ... had a very long day that ran into the evening. Oh yeah, and we lost an hour because of the time change.

In any case, and I had somehow forgotten about this, iPad users can actually view videos that are in your forum using a free app called OPlayerHD Lite. I just confirmed this with my iPad while viewing a flash video in our forum.

So maybe all you need to do is to let people know they can view videos in your forum while using their iPads if they want. They can simply download that free app from their iPad (click the link below for information).

"OPlayer HD is used to boost your iPad's media abilities, you can also use it to streaming audio and video over the internet."

As for directing people away from your forum, they would simply be going to a new window; not actually leaving. But that shouldn't matter anyway. You have a great looking site, and an active forum, so no matter how many times visitors may go elsewhere, you'll surely have them coming back.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2013 at 10:36am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools