Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Posts Become Important Topic (Read 2,460 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: New Posts Become Important Topic
Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 2:26pm
Post Tools
And I think I found the problem with my old forum (keeping fingers crossed and knocking on wood)  and it wouldn't hurt to check and see if the same things is happening to you.

What I found was that some of the ./Boards/*.txt files had weird stuff in them. The end of each line in the actual board file should end with a '0' and possibly one or two lowercase letters (to flag the thread for 'locked-moved' and such).

What I found was entire strings of numbers or letters at the end of the lines. They appeared to have been repeats of data from the next line down. (sometimes the ID string, sometimes text. If it was text at the end, the message got set as a sticky.)

I ended up hand editing out the garbage on each *.txt in ./Boards.
How that stuff got there, I can only guess I messed something up in an upgrade or mod quite some time back. (This was a very heavily modded forum with lots of custom changes so it wasn't a YaBB issue per se.

So check your Boards/*txt files and make sure they're clean - because that's the place the threads get tagged to make them sticky.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 3:43am
Post Tools
It won't hurt. (I had a problem with one of my old forums doing the same thing - still don't know what was going on, but I upgraded it to 2.5.2 and the problem disappeared (knock on wood. But I was also having problems with the MessageIndex rebuild - it took a very long time to get done.)

IP Logged

ScottJ
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2013 at 9:13pm
Post Tools
Hi John,

I hope all is well. Thank you for fixing the problem with the board and all your efforts with the other forum.

For whatever reason, the same problem has started again with the old forum. The last message posted is sticking to the top in each board.

Should I try rebuilding the Message Index again?

Thank you!

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 4:22pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 30th, 2013 at 12:50am:
There was nothing  I could see in my files either - BUT, I suspect something with a corrupted Messages/movedthreads.cgi file as my problem happened immediately after moving some messages out of announcements and into recycle.

think this need to be on the keep a eye on list.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 12:50am
Post Tools
There was nothing  I could see in my files either - BUT, I suspect something with a corrupted Messages/movedthreads.cgi file as my problem happened immediately after moving some messages out of announcements and into recycle.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 11:50pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 29th, 2013 at 6:45pm:
I know this is a bit late, but I just had a similar incident on one of my forums after moving some posts that some how (no idea how) got into the announcements board. When I moved them back to where they belonged, they showed as stickied and locked in the MessageIndex but not when viewing  the topic itself. I ended up checking the affected topics in MessageIndex and unstickying them by using the Admin checkbox in MessageIndex.

And before anybody starts thinking this is a Yabb issue - the forum this happened to is so heavily modded and edited it bears little resemblance to what anyone else would be running.

running Rebuild Message Index fixed the prob but did not see why it fixed as all files looked the same but at the same time I may have missed something when looking in the files.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2013 at 6:45pm
Post Tools
I know this is a bit late, but I just had a similar incident on one of my forums after moving some posts that some how (no idea how) got into the announcements board. When I moved them back to where they belonged, they showed as stickied and locked in the MessageIndex but not when viewing  the topic itself. I ended up checking the affected topics in MessageIndex and unstickying them by using the Admin checkbox in MessageIndex.

And before anybody starts thinking this is a Yabb issue - the forum this happened to is so heavily modded and edited it bears little resemblance to what anyone else would be running.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2013 at 6:48pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 8:38pm
Post Tools
ScottJ wrote on Mar 17th, 2013 at 4:26am:
xnoddyx: I did try to contact you earlier today via the email link on this forum.

sorry i have only just checked my email as been spending some weekend time with the family i will also email you back.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 6:06am
Post Tools
ScottJ wrote on Mar 17th, 2013 at 4:26am:
xnoddyx: I did try to contact you earlier today via the email link on this forum.

Once John has access to your forum, he'll most likely figure out what may have happened, and what's going on. I'm scratching my head on this one, but he has a knack for figuring out pretty much anything, and everything involving YaBB.

I had previously noticed that the 2 most recent posts showing up as "Important Topics" weren't showing as sticky topics in your forum, but I thought that might have been because you had installed a mod to do this.

By the way, what's odd for me at least is that you don't have the normal navigation links that show up just above each topic and post in your forum.

See how it looks here in YaBB's own support forum at the top of every topic just below the menu items? Unfortunately, this forum's navigation links haven't actually worked as they should for a very long time now, but you get the idea.

To see how this looks, and properly works, you can go to Dandello's test bed forum.

I wonder what would happen to each of those currently "Important Topics" if you click the "Sticky" icon? Will they become regular posts again? It might be an interesting experiment to give it a try, although I would recommend experimenting with a test post if in fact it becomes an "Important Topic" post as well.

On that note, are the newest 2 posts always becoming "Important Topic" posts? If so, then either a mod is doing this, or some coding has changed somehow. Or maybe one of YaBB's files controlling posts has become corrupted (I'm guessing Post.pl).

Other than to let xnoddyx in to take a good look, I guess the thing to do in the meantime is to do some experimenting to see if you get any clues as to what's going on.

What a puzzle!  Huh

Edited:
Another possibility is that you recently modified your forum's template, in which case you may have inadvertently deleted some of YaBB's code, which could be causing your problem (probably why your navigation links don't show up unless you did that on purpose).

Pretty much every time something goes awry in our forum, it's because I've just changed the template, i.e., such as adding my own bit of code for an ad, etc. On occasion, I've inadvertently deleted lines from YaBB's code that were needed.

You might be able to check this if you have a previous backup of your forum's template, or a few backps as I like to have just in case they're needed for reference.

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2013 at 3:37pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

ScottJ
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 4:26am
Post Tools
Thank you both so much for your patience and assistance.

The full forum is saturdaynightracer.com. The forum has 34 sections for discussion. Each forum has the most recent two topics, of that particular forum, sticking to the top of it's section. The icon next to the topic does not have the pushpin in the folder (indicating sticky topic) and it is not colored blue (indicating global announcement). It has just the regular yellow file folder icon.

My moderators have very limited access and only the forum administrator can make any changes in the admin section.

I have another forum at latemodeldirt.com. I do not have the same issues with that forum.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 12:28am
Post Tools
Having a Global Announcements board in Forum Staff is an easy way to post important topics on all boards. Cool

Edited:
ScottJ wrote on Mar 16th, 2013 at 7:04pm:
I did go to the Admin/Boards/Edit but the Global Announcements box is NOT checked.

This may be silly to mention, and to check, but it's possible that you or another moderator may have inadvertently highlighted the Sticky option when you or another moderator made a post (see Topic status).

If you then hit reply to that same post, the Sticky option will have stayed active. Only choosing Start new topic will clear it.

You might want to make some test posts to see what's going on.

Just saying, and still guessing. Huh

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2013 at 12:41am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 11:00pm
Post Tools
do you have a Global Announcements in Forum Staff if you don't it may be that you don't but really can't say what is happening without looking at the forum settings and files for my self.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

ScottJ
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 7:04pm
Post Tools
Thank you for your replies.

Actually, now, the most recent (2) two posts are sticking to the top as important messages in every forum (about 30 forum sections).

I did go to the Admin/Boards/Edit but the Global Announcements box is NOT checked.

My moderators do not have access this deep in the Admin area, so only I can make these type of changes. As far as I know I haven't knowingly made any changes.

I do appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Scott

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 12:30am
Post Tools
ScottJ wrote on Mar 10th, 2013 at 7:48pm:
This morning, I noticed the most recent post on each of my forums are sticking to the top as important topics.

Just as John just pointed out, what may have happened is that an admin or Global moderator checked the box in one of your boards that states the following:

Quote:
Checking this option will ensure the messages in this board are shown as important message on top of every board. No matter how the permissions are set, only Administrators and Global Moderators can start new topics and reply.

What you'll want to do is to open up your Admin Center, and go to the following menu item:

Forum Controls/Boards

Then on the right hand side of each Board, check one or more or all of the boxes, make sure Edit is selected, and then click Go.

Important: Be sure you do not to select Remove, which will delete your boards.

Please also remember to have a backup of your forum in case it's needed. Something can go wrong if you're not careful.

In each of your boards, scroll down to ... Global Announcements: ... and make sure the message I quoted above is not checked (look at each and every board until you find the board that's causing this issue).

Please let us know if this is what caused the problem. Thanks.

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2013 at 12:41am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2013 at 11:20pm
Post Tools
Hi ScottJ

can it be one of the admins or Gmods doing this if not it may be a corrupted file can you set me up a admin ac on your forum and email me the info also can you send me ftp login info.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top