Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Error Message: The Name field was not filled out. It is required. (Read 1,642 times)
Sv8predator
YaBB Newcomer

Error Message: The Name field was not filled out. It is required.
Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:25pm
Post Tools
I am admin. Since yesterday I've found that I cannot post or reply to threads. I get this message: 'The Name field was not filled out. It is required.'

The name 'appears' to be there, but I cannot seen to post at all.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Error Message: The Name field was not filled out. It is required.
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:37pm
Post Tools
And where is your forum? Your www link doesn't have a YaBB forum.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

depablo
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 9:05pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:37pm:

It has a link to a phpBB forum?

Taking a peek behind the mask Wink

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2013 at 9:05pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:37pm:

As of this post he's signed in as the administrator of the Jaguar World Monthly forum (a YaBB forum).

He's obviously solved his problem. Smiley

Edited:
He was/is listed as an Ex Member (in this post). Maybe that's a clue?

In any case, a while ago today he published this post in his forum.

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2013 at 9:17pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Sv8predator
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2013 at 6:29pm
Post Tools
Yes, this is the forum:
http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/jwm/YaBB.pl

I've had to go through hoops. Luckily I had also registered another username as an administrator. My original registration turned into an 'ex-member' and I couldn't resuscitate that registration at all. Then the same thing seemed to happen to the new S-V8Predator registration (with the dash) but this time I have the problem explained in the original post.

So luckily still having the 'backup' registration I have made another registration, set it as administrator and I am posting with this one.

But what a palaver.

So I've worked around it after a bit of thought, but I shouldn't have to do this. Does anyone have any ideas why this particular forum installation is so unstable?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 12:00am
Post Tools
It's hard to say exactly what's happening. You could be looking at corrupted member variable files, corrupted memberlist file, even running short on space on the server can cause member files to get emptied out since the files get opened to be written to every time someone logs in and if there's no room, it writes 'nothing' and empties out the file.

And then there's the old bugaboo - someone messing with your forum files and your head. (Not all that likely, but it has been known to happen.)

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 1:06am
Post Tools
Sv8predator wrote on Mar 15th, 2013 at 6:29pm:
Does anyone have any ideas why this particular forum installation is so unstable?

It could be anything that Dandello mentioned.

I also use version 2.4 and have had some problems with membership files before, which included an admin account. However, what fixed the problems for me was setting CHMOD to 666 versus 644, which had been the previous CHMOD setting. As it turns out, YaBB's recommendation for our version of YaBB is to CHMOD member files to 666.

So check your CHMOD settings. Changing the problem member files to 666 from 644 might do the trick. At least it did in our forum.

Interstingly, I noticed that our server, and/or YaBB automatically sets new members at 644 when they register instead of 666, and those member files work just fine. Go figure.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 2:34am
Post Tools
Sometimes when forums get moved or upgraded, the old files need to be set to 666 while the new files work fine as 644. We've seen quite a number of instances of this fairly recently.

I'm not sure why this is but my suspicion is that some hosts have things set up so that things ftp'ed in are owned by the 'user' while files created on the server are 'owned' by a different user or 'root'.  This also sometimes means that the new files created on the server by YaBB may net be able to be manually managed by via ftp as the ftp user doesn't have permission to handle those files that way.  Undecided

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 7:14am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 16th, 2013 at 2:34am:
... my suspicion is that some hosts have things set up so that things ftp'ed in are owned by the 'user' while files created on the server are 'owned' by a different user or 'root'.

That makes perfect sense; the explanation of it anyway. In practice of that explanation, I can see how problems can occur. This is very likely exactly what's going on, and by extension, it really has nothing to do with YaBB itself.

In other words, for instance, every once in a while on our dedicated server, and I believe it's happened with every domain we have at some point, I'll get an error message telling me that I can't delete a particular file when I access it via WS_FTP. Not just YaBB files, but other files as well. At the same time, I can delete that same file when I access it via WinSCP.

So what's up with that? I believe Dandello has explained it quite accurately.

In my case, I use WS_FTP to manage files while using usernames specific to each site. These are FTP Accounts that have different usernames depending on what domain is accessed.

On the other hand, when I use WinSCP to access our server, I'm accessing the "root" of the server itself, which of course gives me full access to every domain on it. That also gives me full permission to manage each and every file on each and every domain.

Bottom Line: Whether you're on a dedicated server with root access, or you're on a shared server with username access, or you're on a virtual server with it's own version of "root" access, which as I understand it is a smart way to function as your own dedicated server; no matter what; as the "owner" of your domain, and therefore of your YaBB forum, you should be entitled to FTP access that gives you full permissions to manage each and every file you own.

So if any one of us is having problems managing our files, each of us should be able to solve this problem by compelling our respective hosts to give us full access to what we own.

IP Logged

Sv8predator
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 12:13pm
Post Tools
Good advice Bill, but in my case I don't 'own' the server, I am merely the admin of the forum.

I'll get the IT people to have a read of this thread and see if the explanations look likely in our case.

Many thanks for your help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools