Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
 10 Re: [RELEASE] YaBB 2.5.2 - First Update in Two Years! (Read 4,787 times)
speake
YaBB Newcomer

Re: [RELEASE] YaBB 2.5.2 - First Update in Two Years!
Reply #18 - Jun 25th, 2013 at 11:06am
Post Tools
Thanks for this modified RegistrationLog.pl file (I used the second one, as I'm still on 2.5AE). It's a big help.

Reason for registering is now showing on "not yet validated" applications, but not on "awaiting approval" members. However, it's still very useful - getting hit with so many spammers that genuine applications are getting lost in the noise.

Off to try the GGN Captcha Hack as well.

Thanks

Steve

IP Logged

Gerry720
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #17 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 2:22pm
Post Tools
Thanks will give it a try

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #16 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 4:15pm
Post Tools
Gerry720 wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 2:27pm:
It is better than it was, but still requires a lot of time to weed out the bad requests for membership.

If you want to weed out all spam-bot registration attempts, implementing ggn's anti-spam hack will do this for you (instructions are here in this post).

Thankfully, ggn's anti-spam hack has been authored as a mod by Derek Barnstorm, and Dandello has included it in her development of YaBB 2.5.4 (see that in action here at her test bed site - on the 2nd page of her registration page).

However, because you already have Derek Barnstorm's Anti-Spam Question mod working for you, I think if you do what other admins have done with it, you may be able to stop all spam-bot registrations as well.

In other words, instead of using the questions that come with that mod, which spam-bot automation can answer, you can instead use one simple question that's easy to answer, and yet, virtually impossible for spam-bots to figure out.

Suggestion: Ask the question, "In the User Agreement below, what is the 3rd word of the agreement?" People can easily see that starts with an "a" and so forth, which is what they'll type for the answer.

Keep in mind that if or when spam-bot automation figures that answer out, you can very easily, and quickly change your question in the same way.

Example: Maybe your question will be, "What's the 1st word of the 3rd paragraph below in the User Agreement?" People can easily see that starts with an "N" and so forth, which is what they'll type for the answer.

In rotation, you can also use both of those questions at the same time to add another level of protection from anti-spam bot automation. Make sense?

By the way, your verification code is easy to read, and because there are other ways to stop spam-bots cold as I suggested above, I think you should keep it that way.

Interestingly, you may not even need to use that validation image at all if what I suggested you do with Derek's Anti-Spam Question mod is implemented.

Whatever you end up doing, please let us know so that other admins can follow your lead to stop spam-bots cold. Thanks.

Edited:
In our forum, simply because of ggn's anti-spam hack, we have open registration without approvals. We even allow guest posting. Cool

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2013 at 4:20pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #15 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 2:50pm
Post Tools
Since you're using admin approval - set your window for validation at no more than 48 hours and let the bad ones weed themselves out - from my experience, most of the bad applications won't validate.

Also (if you haven't done it already), install Carsten's SpamFruits and/or Derek Barnstorm's anti-spam question (customizing the questions)  along with the captcha hack.

Also, make sure that registration can only occur from your domain (referrer security)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Gerry720
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #14 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 2:27pm
Post Tools
Just an update...only about half of the reasons are showing up. At first I thought it was just the ones that had validated, but about half of them are showing no reason until I click on the profile button and have to look at them manually. It is better than it was, but still requires a lot of time to weed out the bad requests for membership. Thanks, Gerry

IP Logged

Gerry720
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2013 at 7:33pm
Post Tools
Great....it works! Thanks!!!!

IP Logged

Gerry720
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2013 at 7:32pm
Post Tools
Will let you know how it goes...

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 6:08pm
Post Tools
try this version of the RegistrationLog.pl
It's off 2.5AE rather than 2.5.2.

RegistrationLog_b.zip ( 4 KB | 56 Downloads )

IP Logged

Gerry720
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 4:55pm
Post Tools
Just another note, I finally approved a member and the reason suddenly appeared in the column, it was not there before I approved them and does not appear when I deny them membership. Hope that helps. Gerry

IP Logged

Gerry720
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 4:45pm
Post Tools
2.5 AE

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 2:38pm
Post Tools
You're on 2.5AE or 2.5.2?

IP Logged

Gerry720
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 1:13pm
Post Tools
Hi, the reasons are showing up when I click on the link to view the profile and decide, they are just not populating the column in the new reg template you created.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:21pm
Post Tools
It's probably not you. Give me a bit to look at the file and see why it's not  reading the reason.

Edited:
The registration reason only shows up it they've been validated. (If they don't validate within the time limit, they're gone anyway and cleaning the Reglog will take care of them. (Of course, my test is on a 2.5.2 install but it should work for a 2.5ae install as well.)
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2013 at 8:30pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Gerry720
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 2:52pm
Post Tools
P.S. Since the overwhelming number of reg entries are to be deleted, it would be helpful to be able to look at the reg log, approve those few that are real and then have an option to delete all the rest...just a thought.

IP Logged

Gerry720
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2013 at 2:33pm
Post Tools
Hi there, I downloaded the zip file and replaced the RegistrationLog.pl with the new file. The Reg log now includes a column for "reasons" but there is no info in it. Have I done something wrong? All the other columns are filled with info so I assume it is not a permissions issue. Help. Thanks. Gerry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top