Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lost Boards (Read 3,374 times)
Anz
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Lost Boards
Mar 30th, 2013 at 8:29am
Post Tools
Hi Guys,

don't laugh but I accidently deleted a couple of boards in haste and wonder if the is a mechanism to put them back? I have a backup and uploaded the .ttl, .txt and .mail files but I'm obviously missing something else? Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Cheers,
Anz

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Lost Boards
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 2:42pm
Post Tools
Your forum.control and forum.master need to be replaced from backup as well.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Anz
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 3:53pm
Post Tools
Thankyou Dandello that brought the boards back but the last post comes up as N/A. I recounted the boards and message totals but none of the posts are showing. Having uploaded .ttl, .txt, forum.control and forum.master are there any other files or functions I have missed?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 4:03pm
Post Tools
This information is very helpful. Thanks Dandello! Smiley

As for boards that show N/A as the last post, I don't know if this will work in this circumstance, but when this has happened in our forum I simply added a post, and then subsequently deleted it to fix the problem.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 7:51pm
Post Tools
Anz wrote on Mar 30th, 2013 at 3:53pm:
Thankyou Dandello that brought the boards back but the last post comes up as N/A. I recounted the boards and message totals but none of the posts are showing. Having uploaded .ttl, .txt, forum.control and forum.master are there any other files or functions I have missed?

the .ctb files that match the .txt files

IP Logged

Anz
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 2:32am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Mar 30th, 2013 at 4:03pm:
I simply added a post, and then subsequently deleted it to fix the problem

I tried that Bill but no go, thanks for your feed back.

IP Logged

Anz
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 2:37am
Post Tools
I found the .ctb files Dandello but they are numbered as opposed to the title. I don't want to overwrite the other boards so I guess I will have to go through them one by one. Is there an easier way because there are hundreds of messages?
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2013 at 2:45am by Anz »  
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 5:14am
Post Tools
When the boards were removed, the messages  in them may also have been removed. So they will need to be replaced from your backup as well.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 8:23am
Post Tools
Anz wrote on Mar 31st, 2013 at 2:32am:
I tried that Bill but no go, thanks for your feed back.

Got it! I guess it was worth a try.

Okay then; like Dandello mentioned, uploading backups of your messages may do the trick. Her instructions remind me of another time when I had N/A showing for one of our boards.

Somehow one of the message files must have gotten corrupted. That's what I thought had happened.

What I did was to upload the message file that was associated with the board showing N/A (such as 1330879027.txt) and that did the trick.

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, I had an entire board that seemed to have lost all of its topics, and showed the N/A listing. I hadn't deleted the board, but I had made some edits to it while testing a couple of options, and then switching back.

What I did in that case was to upload a backup of that board's text file (including the ones Dandello mentioned if I'm remembering correctly). In other words, a board called News has a text file of Boards/news.txt that lists the topics. That did the trick.

Important: Whatever backup files you upload to your server, before you do this, download the current associated files onto your computer. That way, if the backups don't solve the problem, you can very quickly upload the original files you've overwritten.

Whatever works for you, please let us know so that your solution can help others. Thanks.

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2013 at 5:22pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Anz
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 10:55am
Post Tools
Unfortunately I haven't had any luck as yet Bill. I started going through the message files to get those missing but there are thousands that I have to open individually to find which board they are from so I gave up on that idea. I uploaded the few files I did have but still cannot see them.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 4:13pm
Post Tools
The quick way - download your messages directory and then unzip the messages directory on the same machine (different directory). Then download a program called WinMerge (it's free).

Use WinMerge to compare the two directories. It will tell you which files are different and which files are missing from which directory. You'll be looking for the files that are present in the backup and not in the current. Then you can copy over the missing files and re-upload them to your server .

THEN run the message utilities on your forum.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 5:40pm
Post Tools
Anz wrote on Mar 31st, 2013 at 10:55am:
I started going through the message files to get those missing but there are thousands that I have to open individually to find which board they are from so I gave up on that idea.

The way to cheat this is to upload all of your messages onto your server. But that might be risky depending on how up to date your backups are. So ...

By following Dandello's earlier instructions, you let us know that you "brought the boards back but the last post comes up as N/A."

Does this mean with one board only that it's still showing N/A for its status? If so, then my suggestion is to click that board to open it, and then click the topic that shows N/A for its last post.

In your address bar you will see a topic identifier such as the following:

/YaBB.pl?num=1364632160/10

The number highligted in yellow is what you'll want to find, but this number will of course be different than what's in your forum for the N/A status.

With the example I've given, in our forum there are 3 files specifically associated with that topic's message as follows:

1364632160.ctb
1364632160.mail
1364632160.txt

Hopefully if you upload those files onto your server from backups, the N/A status will disappear. Unfortunately, as I've done it myself, it's possible that one or more of the backed up files you upload is also corrupted. This is one of the reasons I keep multiple backups.

Additionally, the 1364632160 identifier should also be listed in the file that's associated with that board. In other words, if the board is called News then it has a text file of Boards/news.txt that lists the topics. That 1364632160 identifier should be listed. You may need to upload that file as well.

By the way, Dandello's suggestion to download the WinMerge program may be a good idea since you can compare files. The thing is, it seems to me, the problem with N/A showing up in your forum should only be affecting very specific files that should be easily identified, relatively speaking.

Even though this has happened in your forum instead of mine, I'm feeling frustrated about it. As such, maybe you'll want to think of giving YaBB's resident expert on this a message so that he can take a look at it directly. His name is John, and he goes by the name of xnoddyx here in this support forum.

If you don't already know it, I should point that Dandello is an expert on YaBB, so following her instructions/suggestions is always highly recommended.

Note to John: Yes, I once again volunteered your services because you're just so good at it!  Smiley

Edited:
Anz, unless I'm looking at the wrong forum, it appears that you fixed your N/A problem after all. Cool

And if I'm looking at the right forum, I'm impressed. It's beautiful looking. It's also one of the biggest and most active YaBB forums I've seen.

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2013 at 6:05pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Anz
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 2:51am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Mar 31st, 2013 at 4:13pm:
The quick way - download your messages directory and then unzip the messages directory on the same machine (different directory). Then download a program called WinMerge (it's free).

Use WinMerge to compare the two directories. It will tell you which files are different and which files are missing from which directory. You'll be looking for the files that are present in the backup and not in the current. Then you can copy over the missing files and re-upload them to your server .

THEN run the message utilities on your forum.

Thankyou again Dandello and I will try this later and let you know how I got on.

Bill Myers wrote on Mar 31st, 2013 at 5:40pm:
Anz, unless I'm looking at the wrong forum, it appears that you fixed your N/A problem after all.

I have hidden the two boards in question Bill that's why you cannot see them. I have checked to see if there is any posts in the boards but it is like a clean new board.

Bill Myers wrote on Mar 31st, 2013 at 5:40pm:
And if I'm looking at the right forum, I'm impressed. It's beautiful looking. It's also one of the biggest and most active YaBB forums I've seen.

Thankyou for your kind words Bill I am very proud of our forum and it's very active membership. I have been with YaBB now for 10 years and think it is the best  Wink

http://www.fishsa.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2013 at 2:55am by Anz »  
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 6:53am
Post Tools
Anz wrote on Apr 1st, 2013 at 2:51am:
I have hidden the two boards in question Bill that's why you cannot see them. I have checked to see if there is any posts in the boards but it is like a clean new board.

Got it!

As such, if you follow my instructions in regard to the actual board number identifiers, the N/A status for those boards should appear as normal again.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Wink

IP Logged

Anz
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 6:54pm
Post Tools
Woohoo, thankyou again Dandello I downloaded Win merge and did as you instructed and then uploaded those files that were missing. Opened the forum and both Fly Fishing & Lures boards are back with all the posts and I couldn't be happier. Thanks to you to also Bill for your moral support and I wish good things to you both for your time and effort.

Anz is one happy chappy again  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top