Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Banned (Read 10,764 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Banned
Reply #15 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 8:03pm
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 7:57pm:
Jeez seen that earlier and thought it was to do with posts 

that's ok sometime I forget where some Settings are just down to not using them that much and also not where you think they will be.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #16 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 8:04pm
Post Tools
I made it an admin option for those buttons to show because they drive me crazy - extra buttons you rarely use and hard to get properly formatted.

(Also there should really be nothing out there for editing Settings.pl/.pm without going through the Admin Center first. I'm actually looking for a way to get that function moved into the Admin Center altogether but haven't managed it yet. Maybe in 2.6.)

But you will be please to know that links other than to just 'http' is now properly supported.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2013 at 8:06pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #17 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 12:54am
Post Tools
depablo wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 7:57pm:
Sorry Bill for misleading you  Huh

No worries. Your post elicited clarification about YaBB's menu tabs, which is good. Cool

I actually have HTML coding with some of our site's main menu items just underneath YaBB's default menu. However, I generally prefer to add/edit menu items with YaBB's interface to better fit the forum, particularly when it's meant to be part of the forum itself. It's more uniform that way.

It's good to know that we will still have an easy way to add menu items to YaBB's default menu. It's a great feature.

Dandello wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 8:04pm:
I made it an admin option for those buttons to show because they drive me crazy - extra buttons you rarely use and hard to get properly formatted.

Thank you Dandello. Cool

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2013 at 12:55am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xbk
YaBB Newcomer

Registration spam
Reply #18 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 11:07pm
Post Tools
Hi all,

I've just manually filtered through about 15k bogus registrations on my v2.4 forum to get to the two people who actually emailed me. I see I have the fruit selection hack installed, but it doesn't seem to help much. I'm visiting today to see what the current state of the art is.

For the record, having everything as text files, I was able to hack my way through with the help of vim and a couple of scripts. Having a database is fine, but we simpleminded text hackers are pleased with a flat file design.

Greetings and thanks for this great software!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #19 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:14am
Post Tools
xbk wrote on Apr 12th, 2013 at 11:07pm:
I've just manually filtered through about 15k bogus registrations on my v2.4 forum to get to the two people who actually emailed me. I see I have the fruit selection hack installed, but it doesn't seem to help much. I'm visiting today to see what the current state of the art is.

Congratulations on getting rid of those bogus spam registrations. Cool

As for Carsten's SpamFruits, you'll most likely see in your error log that it does indeed stop spammers. But these days you may also want to install Derek Barnstorm's Anti-Spam Question mod.

On the 2nd page of Dandello's registration page for her YaBB test bed, you can see an example of how the anti-spam question mod works (start here on her site, and then go to the 2nd page after clicking the "Register" icon --- going to her registration page directly from here produces an error message).

On her site, there is also an example of ggn's anti-spam mod (see the verification code's instructions). This mod on its own is really all you need to stop spam-bots cold. It's reportedly going to be part of YaBB 2.5.4 when that newer version of YaBB gets released.

Meanwhile, it's currently explained here as an anti-spam hack that's easy to implement.

Good luck!  Wink

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2013 at 12:34am by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #20 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 3:42am
Post Tools
The error gets thrown because we have it set up to require the user agreement before going to the register page. (Another admin option.)

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #21 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 8:14am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Apr 13th, 2013 at 3:42am:
The error gets thrown because we have it set up to require the user agreement before going to the register page. (Another admin option.)

Actually, it's throwing the error shown below because reading your forum's user agreement from an outside domain isn't allowed.

Quote:
System Information

This action is not allowed from an outside domain!!
Action is: register
Your Domain: testbed.dandello.net
Referer Domain: www.yabbforum.com

Disallowing registration from outside a domain is a good option to help stop spam-bots when there are no effective anti-spam measures in place. But thankfully, YaBB has effective anti-spam options, so there's no longer a need to restrict registrations from outside of a forum's domain.

For many forums, restricting access to its registration page(s) isn't that big of a deal, but in our forum for instance, there are legitimate links/recommendations directly to our forum's registration page from outside of the forum's domain that makes open access not only appropriate, but user-friendly.

In any case, even when a forum's user agreement and registration can only be accessed within a forum's domain, the logical thing to do when getting that error message above is to simply click the Register icon.

Ironically, just as normal CAPTCHA is easily defeated by spam-bot automation, so too is registering from an outside domain. As such, there's easy access for spam-bots while regular people have to jump through one extra hoop to gain access.

Go figure. Sad

IP Logged

xbk
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #22 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 8:32am
Post Tools
Bill Myers,

Thanks for the pointers. I'll see if I can get something done about this (another 200 spam registrations, today.) btw, is there a reason that the YaBB community doesn't publish mods as simple diffs?

Regards,

Joel

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #23 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 8:52am
Post Tools
xbk wrote on Apr 13th, 2013 at 8:32am:
btw, is there a reason that the YaBB community doesn't publish mods as simple diffs?

Hi Joel. I don't know why YaBB doesn't do this, but I think they'll get up to speed at some point with this kind of logical way to update its software.

In some areas YaBB is behind the times with what's being offered by other forum software, but I still believe it's the best forum software available. In the interest of full disclosure, I've been using YaBB since June of 2002, so I'll admit that I'm biased.

In any case, I'm hopeful that YaBB will offer one-click solutions to its software at some point just as other forum software has already done.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #24 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 3:25pm
Post Tools
The mods are normally designed to work with the BoardMod software.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #25 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 4:26pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Apr 13th, 2013 at 3:25pm:
The mods are normally designed to work with the BoardMod software.

Right, and as Michael Prager wrote about it, "There it was, the idea, the project - a program which would be able to apply modifications automatically."

So as I've mentioned before, it would be great if BoardMod and YaBB could meld together so that one-click solutions could become a standard part of YaBB.

It would be great, but that hasn't happened.

As such, for the end user like me, it doesn't matter how it happens, but one-click solutions for the automation of installation, mods, and bug fixes should be part of YaBB's future at some point.

Let's not conveniently forget that YaBB's open source project languished for years, and literally disappeared for a bit before being resurrected by Corey who once again delegated YaBB's operations to other team members.

As it stands now, only a small handful of people are working on YaBB's next version (see Dandello's test bed forum), and only one person is really at the helm. I generally see this as a good thing, but what it really means is that only one person is making the decisions about how YaBB is to be developed.

This is what happened to BoardMod, which is evidently why it still uses YaBB 2.3.1 to operate its forum.

Despite the lack of a truly comprehensive plan, at least in practice with just one person having come up with that plan (who is currently inactive), YaBB's in a better position to move forward than it has been in a very, very long time.

This is a good thing. After all, YaBB is moving forward. Smiley

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #26 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 5:41pm
Post Tools
I think what we may look at in the future is a bug-fix notification system through that javascript that reads which version of YaBB is being run and tells you if there's a newer version. Then admins (assuming they check their admin center regularly) will know when bug-fixes are available so they can apply them. As far as a one-button upgrade solution for installed versions of YaBB is concerned, I don't see it as being at all safe - giving an outside program permission to access someone else's server to make major changes in the cgi-bin? I know my hosting service wouldn't allow it and I would be very upset if they did.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #27 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 6:43pm
Post Tools
My instinct is to follow your lead because you're exactly the kind of developer who YaBB needs to keep moving forward. I don't mean to denigrate or dismiss the contributions of other people who are most certainly helping to develop YaBB, but quite frankly with all due respect to YaBB's leadership, without you at the helm, it's highly unlikely that YaBB would be moving forward in the good way that it is.

I'll even go so far as to say that you saved YaBB from its demise. Smiley

As for having a bug-fix notification system as you described it, I think that would be terrific.

You make an excellent point regarding a one-button upgrade solution for installed versions of YaBB. Giving an outside program permission to access someone else's server to make major changes in the cgi-bin makes me uncomfortable.

Perhaps at some point the upgrade solution for YaBB could be done through the BoardMod program, or something similar to it if BoardMod and YaBB isn't working comprehensively.

More specifically in my head at least since I'm skittish about upgrades, I like the idea of upgrading YaBB locally before actually implementing that upgrade onto a server for its live presentation.

Along that line for people like me who aren't nearly as adept as you are in working with YaBB, it would be kind of cool to have an undo button of sorts to reverse an upgrade if it ended up causing problems.

I kind of do that now with ready to upload backups of original files that have been changed. Roll Eyes Cheesy

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2013 at 6:47pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

xbk
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #28 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 1:27am
Post Tools
Bill Myers, Dandello,

Yeah YaBB is awesome, really very easy to use. So it's amazing what we have, thanks to Corey.

I did try BoardMod a long time ago. I don't remember exactly what happened, but I could try it again.

Some years ago, I started using Git for version control for my own software development. Since then I have more or less gotten used to looking at diffs. That's a unix approach, and there are good reasons that people deploying YaBB not have to install and learn the whole unix toolbox.

I already see some evidence of YaBB at github, perhaps that is the future. For now, there are more than enough enhancements to meet my needs, they are publicly available at no cost and with friendly support. Not much more I could ask for.  Smiley

In the meantime, looks like I'll get a boost by upgrading to 2.5.2. Thanks again, you rock!
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2013 at 1:33am by xbk »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #29 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 2:11am
Post Tools
I use diffs during development and it's a wonderful tool. But I wouldn't expect the average user to be able to use them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top