Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Banned (Read 10,795 times)
xbk
YaBB Newcomer

End of spam
Reply #30 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 7:22am
Post Tools
Hi again,

I installed 2.5.2, and hopefully this will stop the spambots for a while. Once again, it took me a while to clear the 500 spambot registrations that had accumulated since yesterday.

Some hours later, I see I'll have to go further. Those spam bots (or meat bots) are clever and persistent!

Oh, I guess it will be necessary to write my own questions...  (Duh, no, they weren't enabled at all, nor spam fruit. I had gone through the forum security/antispam settings before copying over the old forum files, so I ended up clobbered all my changes. let's see if I do any better....)

I guess it's a credit to YaBB's popularity that we're getting targeted.

Regards,

Joel
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2013 at 7:46am by xbk »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Banned
Reply #31 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:07am
Post Tools
You'll be pleased to know that for 2.5.4 we're trying for an 'import your old settings without trashing your new Settings file'  Grin

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: End of spam (previously "banned")
Reply #32 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 3:37pm
Post Tools
Joel, congratulations on upgrading your forum! Say good-bye to spam-bots! Smiley

Dandello, if you're able to import the settings of our forums when we upgrade, that would be great! Cool

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2013 at 3:41pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #33 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 4:07pm
Post Tools
Seriously, we do read the comments and complaints people have about the complexity of upgrading and the reasons why some people won't (can't) do it and are attempting address these issues. Saving/importing the old Settings is just one of them. Getting everything out that changes the Settings file without the admin's express approval is another. (Like the ban lists.)

The bad news in 2.5.4 - we broke the old templates, absolutely none of your old templates will work. The good news, everything involved in changing the templates can be accessed through the Template editing section of the admin center - no more getting into the files in Sources to change things for your templates.

And if we could figure out a way to do the same thing for added mods, we would - but since I know that some very bright people have been trying to do that same thing in SMF and Wedge for over a year now, I don't feel so bad about not coming up with a brilliant solution for YaBB.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Solved - Re: Banned - Up now, a look at 2.5.4
Reply #34 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 5:01pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Apr 14th, 2013 at 4:07pm:
--- news in 2.5.4 ---

I mainly have two things on the subject of upgrading to new versions of YaBB that come to mind.

One, I think it's great that you provide a working example of the newest version of YaBB with your test bed of 2.5.4. This is a huge advantage for people who want to see how it actually looks, and works.

Two, if YaBB 2.5.4 looks and works like it does with your test bed, then the YaBB community at large is going to benefit in a wonderfully satisfying way.

In a nutshell, YaBB's problem of stagnant growth is simple. Put yourself in the shoes of an everyday user, and take a fresh look at YaBB's download page versus that of popular competitors. Do a little role-playing by pretending that you don't have the knowledge you have.

If as a webmaster I want to install a forum, I'll most likely install the forum that is easiest to install. It really is that simple. When I wanted to install a forum in 2002, YaBB was clearly the choice to make. It no longer is for a variety of relatively simple reasons.

Still, YaBB has a rich history, and a longevity that deserves the kind of success that it had before.

Edited:

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2013 at 5:31pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xbk
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #35 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 2:26am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Apr 14th, 2013 at 3:37pm:
Joel, congratulations on upgrading your forum! Say good-bye to spam-bots!

The default 2.5.2 continued to get spam registrations, the "XX$capchaXX" hack has stopped them, for now. I'll change the anti-spam questions if (probably when) spam registrations start coming again.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #36 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 2:53am
Post Tools
I find that having at least two different anti-spam systems going works well.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #37 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 7:16am
Post Tools
xbk wrote on Apr 15th, 2013 at 2:26am:
... the "XX$capchaXX" hack has stopped them, for now.

This this anti-spam hack is actually the only anti-spam measure one needs to effectively stop spam-bots from registering. I don't even need IP banning any longer; cleaned that out a while ago.

Give it a try yourself. You'll be amazed! Smiley

If I'm remembering correctly, ggn's anti-spam hack, which was subsequently authored for YaBB by Derek Barnstorm, will be part of YaBB 2.5.4 when it gets released. As I understand it, admins will be able to edit that particular mod through the Admin Center as needed, i.e., if or when spam-bot automation defeats it just as it ended up defeating the standard CAPTCHA.

Somewhat to my surprise, in all the time I've used it, I haven't needed to change the settings to this hack.

By the way, this anti-spam option has been so effective that I've enabled guest posting. To date, not a single spam-bot has been able to post as a guest even though there are times when our forum gets over 500 attempts an hour from spam-bots to post messages (including stretches of multiple automated attempts from the just one IP address).

But on average over the last couple of months or so, including other error messages involving spam-bots, we usually only get about 500 or so errors each day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top