Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Upgrading YaBB (Read 578 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Upgrading YaBB
Apr 14th, 2013 at 5:28pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Apr 13th, 2013 at 5:41pm:
As far as a one-button upgrade solution for installed versions of YaBB is concerned, I don't see it as being at all safe - giving an outside program permission to access someone else's server to make major changes in the cgi-bin?

As I mentioned before in agreement, "You make an excellent point regarding a one-button upgrade solution for installed versions of YaBB. Giving an outside program permission to access someone else's server to make major changes in the cgi-bin makes me uncomfortable."

To qualify my statement, however, I realized that I shouldn't be telling or recommending to anyone that they should or shouldn't allow an outside program permission to access our servers.

In terms of installing YaBB, allowing an outside program onto your server is really no different than allowing YaBB's resident expert xnoddyx to do this (as he's graciously done for people needing help to install YaBB, thank you very much).

On that note, but only as an option of course, I'm hoping that YaBB will one day have the kind of one-click installation solution that at least one other forum provides. That option is simply an automated, and brilliant way of having someone help you install a forum.

Good for them, and bad for YaBB for not considering it. After all, this would only be an option. The end user would decide.

Simply put, webmasters looking to install a forum on their sites will logically install a forum that's easy to install.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top