Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Users Online view (Read 1,495 times)
Jimboat
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Users Online view
Apr 20th, 2013 at 9:42pm
Post Tools
is there a way to disable the ability for ALL users to view the current Users on line list (at bottom of the home page)?

it seems that ALL of my users can see this, even though the note in the Admin center seems to indicate that only Admin + Moderator are able to view?

/Jim

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Users Online view
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 10:46pm
Post Tools
I think you're referring to the stealth option for Admins and global moderators because there doesn't appear to be a way to disable the 'users online' display. However, if you really want it gone - go into the BoardIndex.template and find the section that has '{yabb onlineusers}' - that's the section that displays the number of guests, users and bots online and '{yabb onlineusers}' is the section that actually displays the users currently online.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Jimboat
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 11:14am
Post Tools
dandello - thanks for response.  i didn't really want to 'diddle' with the base code on this one.  i thought that there might be a way to disable from Admin Center.  Sounds like there is not, and that all members see screen name and ip address for all visitors online.

/Jim

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 3:16pm
Post Tools
Jimboat wrote on Apr 20th, 2013 at 9:42pm:
is there a way to disable the ability for ALL users to view the current Users on line list (at bottom of the home page)?

it seems that ALL of my users can see this, even though the note in the Admin center seems to indicate that only Admin + Moderator are able to view?

Even though all users can see who's online at the bottom of the home page as you pointed out, the usernames aren't clickable to guests. Nor are they clickable in the posts. For some reason they are clickable in the "Last Post" section, but clicking a member's name will only give them an error.

When your Admin Center indicates that only "Global Moderators and Administrators" are able to view, that means they're the only ones able to view the actual "Members" list. As such, the "Members" menu tab won't appear for guests or members.

Jimboat wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 11:14am:
... all members see screen name and ip address for all visitors online.

As for the showing of IP addresses, are you sure that guests and members can see those IP addresses in your forum? In our YaBB 2.4 forum the only thing they see is "IP Logged" at the bottom right of each post.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 3:51pm
Post Tools
A trick that is very useful - create for yourself an alternate membership - one who is just a plain member and log in using that. Then you can see what your members will be seeing. And all they should be seeing is (as Bill indicated) an IP Logged notice, not an IP address. (And the change put forward is in the template, and templates are freely editable through the Admin Center without messing with the base code. - Although it's always a good idea to back up any file you're going to work on before you work on it.)

IP Logged

Jimboat
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 5:29pm
Post Tools
Good explanation, Bill.  thx.

Dan - good trick.  i used that to see what is still visible for members.  I think i don't want to change the template, since that would also prevent me (Admin) from seeing who's viewing, right?

/Jim

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 8:14pm
Post Tools
Yeah, it would. Depends on how much you don't want people to see what's happening. Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 3:16pm:
For some reason they are clickable in the "Last Post" section, but clicking a member's name will only give them an error.

It's a BUG!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 7:28am
Post Tools
Sorry folks, but my IP address is still locking me out of this forum, which is why I'm currently unable to use its quote features. I did send JonB an email about this, but you know how he is about getting back to people. So maybe sometime before the year is out.

In 2013; not 2014. Roll Eyes

On a serious note, because JonB is clearly too busy with his work to professionally administer this forum, Corey would better serve YaBB's community at large by also giving full admin access to other YaBB team members.

But I digress. Cheesy

In any case, as Derek Barnstorm stated, "Is it a bug or a feature? That is the question."

When a guest sees an error message after they try to access a member's profile, I like to see this as a feature. For admins like me who don't have the ability to write in Perl, I simply changed the error message as follows:

Quote:
System Information

Sorry, this service is for registered members only. However, membership is free, so please become a member by clicking Register on the menu above.

For the record, despite YaBB's absentee landlords, I'm still bullish on YaBB. I'm also particularly grateful to YaBB's staff members who continue to give YaBB's community at large such terrific support.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 3:05pm
Post Tools
I'm still of mixed minds on this one - I posted a fix for those who consider it a bug rather than a feature.

I'm wondering if there might be a way to have 'please register for this feature' notice without the attempt showing up in the error log - because (IMHO) it's not really an error an admin needs to worry about.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top