Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Clean Up Ghost Registrations - Even Faster (Read 1,892 times)
Jerry Krinock
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Clean Up Ghost Registrations - Even Faster
Apr 21st, 2013 at 7:33am
Post Tools
The post by JonB at the top of this thread,

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1321940547

does work on my YaBB 2.4 board, but you can only do one page (15 members) at a time.  Because John says he whacked out "four months" in "15-20 minutes".  It appears as though JonB was also doing one page at a time.

Unfortunately, I had 11,600 ghost registrations (members with zero posts), so JonB's method was not practical for me.  So I wrote a Perl script which cleans up the Members subdirectory of your YaBB installation.  You can run this on your web host if you have shell access, or else zip and download your Members subdirectory, use my script on it at your computer, then re-zip, upload to server, extract, and replace the old Members.  If you have cPanel, buttons to do this are at the top of the cPanel File Manager.

The script is zipped and attached.  It's crude, but it worked for me.  I removed 11,600 ghosts in 10 seconds, plus the time it took to write and test the code  Wink.   Read the =com documentation at the top of the file.  Sorry, no fancy POD for this one, and also I just write plain, readable C-style Perl which someone as dumb as me can understand.  Path component separators will need to be modified if you're on Microsoft Windows.

YaBBCullMembers_pl.zip ( 2 KB | 37 Downloads )

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Clean Up Ghost Registrations - Even Faster
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 3:44pm
Post Tools
Jerry Krinock wrote on Apr 21st, 2013 at 7:33am:
Unfortunately, I had 11,600 ghost registrations (members with zero posts), so JonB's method was not practical for me.

Jerry, thanks for authoring your Perl script that cleans up the Members sub-directory of a YaBB installation. It's unfortunate that JonB locked his post since your solution seems to be a better way to get rid of multiple ghost registrations, and that could have been mentioned as an alternative option.

JonB has a tendency to be proprietary with his help, which is why I think he likes to sometimes lock his posts. Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 3:57pm
Post Tools
Oddly enough - I have a reply button on that thread but no reply box.  Sad

Otherwise I'd add a link to this thread from his.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 5:47pm
Post Tools
Sorry, but among other functions, the quote function isn't working for me at this time. So (from Dandello's post here):

Quote:
Oddly enough - I have a reply button on that thread but no reply box.  Sad

Otherwise I'd add a link to this thread from his.

Thanks for the attempt, Dandello. That would have been nice.

Thankfully, Jerry did what I did when Jon's locked out other posts (not just his); I simply quoted the relevant post in another thread.

Ironically, I'm now getting the following 403 Forbidden Error throughout the forum:

Quote:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/community/YaBB.​pl on this server.
Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at www.yabbforum.com Port 80

I long for the day when this forum uses a stable version of YaBB ... maybe version 2.5.4 when that gets released. You're doing a really great job with it, and I'm grateful that you've opened up your YaBB 2.5.4 testbed to the public. Thanks!

By the way, if you or one of the other staffers can take my IP address of 108.70.101.168 out of what's probably in The Guardian™ someplace, that would be helpful. Thanks.

Meanwhile, as needed when I'm using my regular IP address until this gets fixed, I'll simply use a proxy server to access this forum as I did to post this reply.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 8:19pm
Post Tools
I don't have the permissions to do that - hopefully JonB will be checking in and take care of it - you might drop him a PM.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2014 at 2:05am
Post Tools
Well, another year brought me another 10,000 Deadbeat members.  I found some bugs in the script I published here last year and have posted an improved version.

It worked OK on my YaBB 2.4 board.  This version also automatically culls members with incomplete .vars files, and properly handles both the memberlist.txt file and memberinfo.txt file.

Instructions how to use are in the =com header of the file.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2014 at 2:06am by Jerry Krinock »  

IP Logged

Xonder
Jr. Developer
Development Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 7:42pm
Post Tools
Hello

You can also use one oft the Anti-spam mods ....

http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1361109336

Or my Slider Captcha mod .....

http://www.xonder.com/cgi-bin/yabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1399095759

lg XTC
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2014 at 8:28pm by Xonder »  

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 4:05pm
Post Tools
Thank you, Xonder.  Just to be clear, I presume that these anti-spam mods don't cull deadbeat members, they keep deadbeat members from registering in the first place, so that the few which get through can be easily deleted manually.  Is that correct?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2014 at 4:53pm
Post Tools
Yes - if you make it harder for spam registrations, then there's less clean up. Almost anything that requires a mouse move (Slider captcha and SpamFruits) or answering a question that is forum specific and can't be looked up on Google (like 'what is the background color of this page?' when you're not using the default palette) or using GGN's Captcha hack which requires the registant to actually read instructions...  Roll Eyes  will slow down spam registration to a slow crawl.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools