Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Members Having Profiles Blanked (Read 711 times)
ZachMatthews

Members Having Profiles Blanked
Apr 21st, 2013 at 5:04pm
Post Tools
Hey guys -

I am running YaBB 2.3.1 over here:

http://www.itinerantangler.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl

I am having an ongoing issue with random members having their profiles blanked.  They remain registered, but all of the data in the profile, including password and date of registration and member name, etc., is just blanked out.  When I go to fix them myself I am told the "member name is already registered" and I have to first change their profile name to some dummy name, then change it back to their original name, in order to make it stick.

I've asked my host and they are claiming no issues with the database side (YaBB doesn't even run MySQL so that's probably no help).

Anyone got any ideas?  I am getting 3-4 "I'm locked out!" emails a week.

Thanks,
Zach

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Members Having Profiles Blanked
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2013 at 8:12pm
Post Tools
This happens when YaBB is running close on space - it doesn't have room to write to member's .vars file so writes nothing - literally erasing everything.

Check with your host as to whether you're close on space and whether there are any other processes happening that might cause files to not be properly written to.

Download all your backups to a safe place and then delete them from the server AND make sure your host isn't taking up your space with site backups. Since this appears to be intermittent, it could well be (best guess) that your host is doing something like making site backups that runs you close on space while this happens, then removing the old backups and giving you back your space. But in the meantime, you're out of space.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

ZachMatthews

Re: Members Having Profiles Blanked
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 3:34pm
Post Tools
Thank you, big help.

Zach

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top