Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Absentee YaBB Administrator (Read 95 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Absentee YaBB Administrator
Apr 24th, 2013 at 8:27pm
Post Tools
Unfortunately, YaBB's Admin is evidently on a work project of his own, and has been too busy to do any routine management of this forum. But good for him for having such a great job, and for making good money.

Complicating this issue of an absentee admin is our absentee landlord of this forum, Corey Chapman, who owns this yabbforum.com site. However, Corey delegated his admin duties to JonB, so he's most likely unaware that this forum has no admin on duty.

Particularly since YaBB is an open source project, my suggestion is for YaBB to have more than one admin so that the administration of work here in this forum can be delegated more effectively.

The obvious choices for YaBB's additional admins are YaBB's current staff members as well as YaBB's current active developers. In no particular order, I believe they are as follows:

Dandello who is YaBB's lead developer.

Derek Barnstorm who is actively helping Dandello at her 2.5.4 test bed forum.

And support staffers depablo, and xnoddyx.

I would also include at least a couple of people at Carsten's YaBB Mod Forum where as many admins already know, offers support for YaBB.

Thankfully in this forum despite an absentee admin, there is a really great support staff who continues to offer support in a timely fashion. Giving them admin status would really benefit YaBB's community at large. They already work together very well, so sharing admin duties can simply be an extension of what they're already doing.

So, to Corey who owns this forum, and to JonB who is its only admin at this time, please consider my post as food for thought, and do what's best for YaBB's community at large.

In practice at Carsten's YaBB Mod Forum, and at Dandello's YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha Forum YaBB is in really great shape right now. So getting this forum up to speed with shared admin duties would really help a lot. I thank you in advance for your serious consideration.

My apologies to all if any of the links above are bad, or if there are any mistakes in my post. Unfortunately because of a 403 Forbidden Error message that I get whenever I use my home office IP address, I'm not able to use javascript, nor am I able to modify my posts to make corrections as needed.

Until our absentee admin comes back online to implement a fix, and hopefully he'll be back sooner than later, I'll have to continue using a proxy server to access this forum from my home office.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Re: Absentee YaBB Administrator
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 10:37am
Post Tools
When you look at profiles of the current YaBB Next Team members, many have not logged on for some time.

Is it the full moon or are we once again doomed  Huh

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 2:04pm
Post Tools
I suspect some of them are like me - they look and see if there's anything that needs their attention, if there is they log in, if not, they don't. And we haven't had a lot of people in asking for support. (Not even all that many spammers.)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2013 at 10:07pm
Post Tools
Quote:

You make an excellent point. But if it was only true in this case.

The thing is, presumably Corey gets email notifications about his PMs. That's the responsible way to be this forum's landlord; at the very least. But I'm now suspecting he hasn't done this. So he probably has no clue whatsoever that there's no actual administrator for this forum. Or perhaps more accurately, stating the obvious, the only admin this forum has is no longer doing his job.

The previous time I contacted Corey, I sent an email directly to his email address, but that was only because this forum, and the entire yabbforum.com site had completely disappeared. To his credit, he was timely with his reply back to me, and he did handle the situation to get this site back online. But by then it had been down for 11 straight days. Shamefully unprofessional.

As for JonB, he's never actually been a particularly good admin. It's always been hit and miss with him. These days, he doesn't even bother to respond to personal emails. It's quite possible that he's abandoned YaBB entirely, and could care less about letting Corey know about it.

This situation of course illustrates how important it is to give admin status to more than just one person, most particularly if the one admin assigned to the task of managing this site, and its forum is unable to do their job.

This is a very sad situation, and very embarrassing for YaBB. But hopefully ... eventually ... maybe ... one day ... one of the two people asleep at the wheel might wake up to do something about it.

Meanwhile, despite it all, YaBB's community at large has good leaders like you who actually care about YaBB, and who continue to move YaBB forward. Considering the circumstances of this site, and this forum's unfortunate abandonment, you've been doing an amazing job with the limited tools you have at your disposal.

Please keep up the great work! Smiley

By the way, oh shame on me, I haven't sent an email directly to Corey this time (just a PM via this forum). In kind of a sick, but oddly amusing way I guess, I'm kind of wondering how long he'll go without logging into this forum to check for PMs. While remembering that he's previously stated that not a single person has ever contacted him about "this problem" or "that problem" or "that other problem" when there have been problems to address, I'm kind of thinking that once again, nobody's actually contacted him directly about this forum being without an admin.

You have to admit, it is kind of funny when you think about it. Cheesy

On the other hand, and I certainly hope this isn't the case, maybe something very bad has happened to JonB, and that's the real reason he's no longer active. I sincerely hope he's alive, and well.

Naturally, I hope that Corey is still alive, and that all is well with him, too.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top