Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
 25 problem with registration email filter (Read 3,517 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: problem with registration email filter
Reply #25 - May 19th, 2013 at 11:46am
Post Tools
freediver wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 7:24am:
That openID thing sounds like a good idea.

from what I can see openID is dead and it never did work the way it was supposed to.

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2013 at 7:24am:
I would not use my facebook account on my forum. I like to keep facebook for people I know in real life.

I don't think you understand the way it works.

ok you find a YaBB forum that you want to signup to now the old and current way is to
Choose user ID:
Choose displayed name:
Email:
on some also enter
Birthday:
signup with facebook what happens

click signup with facebook on the forum
enter your facebook login info then the forum will pull the signup info for you
user ID: from facebook can be your facebook id
Email:
on some also it will use
Birthday:
and a password or login without facebook if that is what you want

it will not connect with facebook to add forum members to your facebook
it will also not add the info to Facebook:
This is your Facebook profile ID number or your username.
in Contact Information on the forum unless you want it to.

but that's just how I see it working and just now I don't see any universal login system happen anytime soon.  Sad

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

freediver

Reply #24 - May 19th, 2013 at 7:24am
Post Tools
That openID thing sounds like a good idea. You could make a lot of money with something like that if you made it work well.

I would not use my facebook account on my forum. I like to keep facebook for people I know in real life.

I have disabled most of my email domain filters. No spammers yet.

Founding member of . I recently upgraded from YaBB 2.2.1 to 2.5 AE to 2.5.2.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #23 - May 13th, 2013 at 9:46pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 13th, 2013 at 2:40pm:
I swear Facebook makes their instructions as impenetrable as possible. But, I finally got that blasted Like button back. Thanks xnoddyxx.  Smiley

it's cool i did try the XFBML but that has some problems with some scripts I use that's why I use the iframe one i have not even tested the html5 one as of yet.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #22 - May 13th, 2013 at 2:40pm
Post Tools
I swear Facebook makes their instructions as impenetrable as possible. But, I finally got that blasted Like button back. Thanks xnoddyxx.  Smiley

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #21 - May 13th, 2013 at 10:06am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 11:28pm:
I had to remove the 'Like' button from one of my sites as Facebook changed it so much I can't even find the code that's meant to replace it - and when I've thought I had the replacement code, it wouldn't load.

it is here http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like/
Quote:
If you implemented the Like button before November 7th, 2012, read this notice.

On this date we updated how the Like button will function with respect to content restrictions, publishing updates to users and integration with the Built-in Like action.

Like buttons that were implemented prior to this update should read the following developer doc about the Like Button Migration as they may require changes to continue working.

After  July 2013 migration, Like button will require an absolute URL in the 'href' parameter.

also this is my url dynamic code for the Like button
Code (HTML)
Select All
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
document.write("<iframe src=\"http:\/\/www.facebook.com\/plugins\/like.php?href="+document.URL+"&layout=button_count&show_faces=false&width=80&action=like&font=verdana&colorscheme=light\" scrolling=\"no\" frameborder=\"0\" style=\"border:none; overflow:hidden; width:80px; height:21px\" allowTransparency=\"true\"><\/iframe>");
</SCRIPT> 

I also have share to code if you want that.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #20 - May 12th, 2013 at 11:28pm
Post Tools
The login with Facebook is something to look into - but I also know they keep changing their APIs and breaking things - I had to remove the 'Like' button from one of my sites as Facebook changed it so much I can't even find the code that's meant to replace it - and when I've thought I had the replacement code, it wouldn't load.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #19 - May 12th, 2013 at 10:26pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 3:11pm:
The biggest issue I see with simply using the banning section to block entire blocks of email addresses/domains is it has the wrong error message and so doesn't tell a legitimate registrant what they did wrong.

what is the error they get is it just the generic you are banned messages as it has been a bit from the last time I looked at that part.

And what we're looking at is more logical organization in the admin center - maybe the registration log should be up with the member utilities and the backup and maintenance settings up higher on the list so they're 'above the fold'. Maybe Banning should be up with security settings (or not). What I've noticed it that a lot of stuff has come in over the years from mods. And those additions, in many cases,  just got 'shoved in' any old place.

I have seen the same there are also some sub-items I think we need to look at as well as if you did not know they where there you start looking where you think they are but are not one more one more thing i find a bit off is that backup by default is off and i have always thought that it's default should be on and set to 2 or 5 days and also that if there is no backup at all you get a constant warning that you have no backup and are at risk of data loss.

Bill Myers wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 7:06pm:
Looking ahead to the future, I can see the day when each of us simply has just one ID that enables us to join different kinds of online media outlets, including other forums, etc.

funny that you say that as when talking started about
Dandello wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 7:48pm:
The openId thing was supposed to do that, but I'm seeing fewer and fewer places offering it and getting it to work with YaBB proved a right royal b**ch (as in, it just didn't work right and I gave up) and even for the regular online person, getting an openID that actually worked the way it was supposed to - well let's say I ended up with three of them and NONE of them actually worked to let me use it to register anywhere, including on the sites where I got the blasted IDs.

i think i was the first to ask can we get a facebook sign up/in all the way back to 2.3.1 as by that point I had seen that most of the people coming to my forums where on facebook and i only know this as at that time i had a share to facebook on them with a counter of how many times it was used and i could at the time check that it was posted to facebook as after every share to facebook click facebook did a link check even if it was the same link but now facebook saves that it has been to that link and if it is ok or not also at the same time forums I was on was seeing members move from the forum to groups on facebook and those forums that did not make a group on facebook ended up all most dead with only 5 or 8 members left active and now I see even more websites with and one of the good parts with the facebook sign up/login is that the the API system still works the same with how the calls are made and for me the only universal login i still like is the facebook one.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #18 - May 12th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Post Tools
The openId thing was supposed to do that, but I'm seeing fewer and fewer places offering it and getting it to work with YaBB proved a right royal b**ch (as in, it just didn't work right and I gave up) and even for the regular online person, getting an openID that actually worked the way it was supposed to - well let's say I ended up with three of them and NONE of them actually worked to let me use it to register anywhere, including on the sites where I got the blasted IDs.

And although something like AppleID or the Microsoft version might work, we're now looking at supporting multiple types again. (And MS keeps 'tweaking' theirs and it doesn't seem to work half the time.)

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #17 - May 12th, 2013 at 7:06pm
Post Tools
I mean it is remotely possible that someone with a .ru or .ua domain might be a legitimate registrant.

Good point. Our forum happens to be visited by many people throughout the world, so as an example, we've ended up with a good number of people from Russia who've registered in our forum.

Interesting side note, and I guess it's just part of human nature's voyeuristic tendencies, only a relatively small number of people visiting the main pages of our site actually visit our forum (and even far less register, let alone actually participate online).

Looking ahead to the future, I can see the day when each of us simply has just one ID that enables us to join different kinds of online media outlets, including other forums, etc.

Or maybe 2 identities depending on how a person might choose to live their life. Shocked Cool

xnoddyx wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 11:57am:
that reminds me of the time I was in auto mode and adding some IPs to the ban list and with out even thinking I put my own ip in lol

I worry about that myself.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2013 at 7:08pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #16 - May 12th, 2013 at 3:11pm
Post Tools
The biggest issue I see with simply using the banning section to block entire blocks of email addresses/domains is it has the wrong error message and so doesn't tell a legitimate registrant what they did wrong. (I mean it is remotely possible that someone with a .ru or .ua domain might be a legitimate registrant.)

And what we're looking at is more logical organization in the admin center - maybe the registration log should be up with the member utilities and the backup and maintenance settings up higher on the list so they're 'above the fold'. Maybe Banning should be up with security settings (or not). What I've noticed it that a lot of stuff has come in over the years from mods. And those additions, in many cases,  just got 'shoved in' any old place.

And cross linking - there are two places to go to for setting up Search, linking from one spot to the other should make it obvious that both need to be looked at.

Things like that.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #15 - May 12th, 2013 at 11:57am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 5:53am:
and maybe even putting in additional cross-links between sections. (Like a link to the email domain setting from Guardian and member banning

sounds good to me.  Smiley
Bill Myers wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 6:10am:
While I was working on this message, and playing around with The Guardian™ to test some things, I broke our forum with a 500 error. So I uploaded a backup of both the AdminIndex.pl and YaBB.pl files since those seemed to be throwing the 500 error, and our forum was still inaccessible.What I ended up doing was to delete the .htaccess file in YaBB's main directory (I should have saved it first to see how I messed things up). That worked!So to any of you who are messing around with The Guardian™ just because you want to test stuff out, please be careful!But at least if you goof up like I did, you'll know what to do.

that reminds me of the time I was in auto mode and adding some IPs to the ban list and with out even thinking I put my own ip in lol

Bill Myers wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 6:10am:
For the record, and I've looked around, I think YaBB has a relatively easy-to-use Admin Center compared to other forum software.So please don't change it too much.

and future versions of yabb should be even easier to use as we do need a better way of organizing it especially with all the new features and features still to come.  Wink

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - May 12th, 2013 at 6:10am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 2:31am:
There's e-mail banning and email domain blocking that are in different sections.

I had forgotten about that. Or more accurately, I hadn't fully realized that email domain blocking is the same as domain name blocking in the Global and Server Settings of The Guardian™. Like xnoddyx mentions, having this in one place can cut down on the confusion.

In any case, I see what you mean about not being able to save "\.ru" in The Guardian™. The same can be said for "*.ru" or anything else for that matter. But since this seems to be a 2nd place to ban email addresses/domains, I guess it doesn't matter.

OH MY GOSH and WHOOPS!

While I was working on this message, and playing around with The Guardian™ to test some things, I broke our forum with a 500 error. So I uploaded a backup of both the AdminIndex.pl and YaBB.pl files since those seemed to be throwing the 500 error, and our forum was still inaccessible.

What I ended up doing was to delete the .htaccess file in YaBB's main directory (I should have saved it first to see how I messed things up). That worked!

So to any of you who are messing around with The Guardian™ just because you want to test stuff out, please be careful!

But at least if you goof up like I did, you'll know what to do. Roll Eyes

Edited:
Dandello wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 5:53am:
However, we need to think about better ways of organizing things ...

For the record, and I've looked around, I think YaBB has a relatively easy-to-use Admin Center compared to other forum software.

So please don't change it too much. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2013 at 6:17am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #13 - May 12th, 2013 at 5:53am
Post Tools
I think this is a case where YaBB just needs much better documentation. Banning should really be an 'after the fact' action while email domain blocking should be considered a 'preventative' action on the order of the referrer blocking that Guardian can do.

However, we need to think about better ways of organizing things and maybe even putting in additional cross-links between sections. (Like a link to the email domain setting from Guardian and member banning.)

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - May 12th, 2013 at 3:11am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 12th, 2013 at 2:31am:
There's e-mail banning and email domain blocking that are in different sections. The "\.ru"  does work from the e-mail ban section - but then gives the wrong error message. (And maybe that's the section Capt John was referring to.)

just thinking on this can this be consolidate into one so to simplify it in the next yabb will also cut down on the confusion as well.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #11 - May 12th, 2013 at 2:31am
Post Tools
There's e-mail banning and email domain blocking that are in different sections. The "\.ru"  does work from the e-mail ban section - but then gives the wrong error message. (And maybe that's the section Capt John was referring to.)

And on my forums I do have a few email domains that are blocked.
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2013 at 2:32am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top