Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Rename YaBB.pl (Read 6,002 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Rename YaBB.pl
Reply #8 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:43pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 10:20pm:
... the YaBB executable hasn't been renamed ...

That's the important part. Wink

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:20pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 9:47pm:
n any case, please check your PMs to check it out yourself. It's not a redirect, but again, the moment any link is clicked, everything after that uses YaBB.pl as it should.

In this case, I suspect they have a copy of YaBB.pl named forum.pl, but once you've entered the forum, all the internal links go back to YaBB. So the YaBB executable hasn't been renamed, but the initial link (and only the initial link) goes to forum.pl.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2013 at 10:25pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2013 at 9:47pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 3:08pm:
@BillM - that site is probably just using a redirect from forum.pl to YaBB.pl. If they'd paid the license YaBB.pl would actually be something else - including in the tabs.

Ah, I didn't know that.

In any case, please check your PMs to check it out yourself. It's not a redirect, but again, the moment any link is clicked, everything after that uses YaBB.pl as it should.

By the way, try removing the copyright, and see what happens. The forum becomes disabled, and a notice about it is put up in its place. I noticed this when I attempted to replace YaBB's copyright with an updated copyright to reflect the years 2000-2013 instead of 2000-2009 as I seem to remember it was.

Happily, I think over in Carsten's forum someplace if you'll recall, there were instructions showing how to have YaBB's copyright change each year automatically, which is what I ended up doing.

I think Derek Barnstorm may have come up with a way to do that. Smiley

Edited:
And so he did. Check out his instructions on how to do this. Cool

I can confirm in a YaBB 2.4 forum that this works perfectly well. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2013 at 10:03pm by Bill Myers »  

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - May 10th, 2013 at 3:08pm
Post Tools
The copyright and the renaming of the executable are two different beasts - You can add your own copyright covering the material on your forum, but the YaBB copyright for the forum software needs to stay there (unless you pay another fee to get rid of it.)

Also, for forums where the YaBB copyright has been removed without the fee - we're not obligated to provide support because this is the YaBB support forum.

@BillM - that site is probably just using a redirect from forum.pl to YaBB.pl. If they'd paid the license YaBB.pl would actually be something else - including in the tabs.

IP Logged

darkfang
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #4 - May 10th, 2013 at 11:37am
Post Tools
I don't mind keeping the copyright notice at the bottom of the forum because the peoples who create the template should deserve the credit. Thanks for the info guys.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - May 10th, 2013 at 7:28am
Post Tools
Evidently in existence since 2008, I recently noticed that a 2.5 AE! YaBB forum is using forum.pl as it's url address. However, as soon as you start using it, every link uses YaBB.pl including the menu items of course.

I suspect forum.pl was/is being used to drive traffic to the forum, and nothing more. As such, I don't believe it's actually breaking the "Executable Renaming License". Besides, it's possible that a $50 fee was paid for this.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2013 at 2:54am
Post Tools
It's only allowed if you purchase an 'Executable Renaming License', but hopefully that particular license will be abolished soon so renaming of YaBB.pl is free. I've made it very clear myself in the past that I am very much against having to pay just to rename that file.

Quote:
$50 Executable Renaming License
This license is required if you wish to rename the YaBB.pl main script executable (visible in your forum URL) to another name such as index.pl or by hiding it completely. This license is independent of the Copyright removal License.

http://www.yabbforum.com/licenses.php

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2013 at 1:25am
Post Tools
While it is possible, it's really against YaBB's conditions of use.

IP Logged

darkfang
YaBB Newcomer

YaBB 2.5.2
Rename YaBB.pl
May 10th, 2013 at 1:20am
Post Tools
Is it possible to rename YaBB.pl to forum.pl as an example ?
I try renaming the .pl and any other relation in other files but I have a Internal Error 500 after I login.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top