Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic YaBB's multiuse potential (Read 2,038 times)
zaza
YaBB Newcomer

Re: YaBB's multiuse potential
Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 10:50am
Post Tools
a special forum for my family? I already have to see them everyday already ... no thanks Grin

IP Logged

WestwegoMan
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 7:30am
Post Tools
I actually do this on one of mine. Registration is open for everybody but some boards require belonging to a certain member group (my family) to access it. This is a forum that I put together after hurricane Katrina because of cell service being out for so many days. With having to stay behind for work, my wife didn't even know if I was alive or not for days following the storm.

Even with cell service out, the Internet still worked. We have facebook now but it never hurts to have a backup of last resort if needed and it allows a place for private messaging if all else fails. Haven't had to use it yet and hope I never do but it's there now if needed.

<div class=
IP Logged

Danysohn
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2013 at 10:13am
Post Tools
Very curious idea, some people would like to see such features. Someone like me, for example Wink

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2013 at 5:24pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 4:45pm:
xnoddyx wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 4:29pm:
... but now it is easier to do with facebook groups.

In general at least, I suppose you're right about that. On the other hand, I think YaBB is much more organized than Facebook is in terms of being able to find things when you want them referenced. I think YaBB has many other advantages as well.

Imagine if a Facebook page was a YaBB forum page, and like Facebook, there was connectivity displaying everyone's YaBB connections (perhaps a feed of some kind).

I was just meaning for my family but YaBB is still a good tool for doing that with.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - May 25th, 2013 at 4:45pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 4:29pm:
... but now it is easier to do with facebook groups.

In general at least, I suppose you're right about that. On the other hand, I think YaBB is much more organized than Facebook is in terms of being able to find things when you want them referenced. I think YaBB has many other advantages as well.

Imagine if a Facebook page was a YaBB forum page, and like Facebook, there was connectivity displaying everyone's YaBB connections (perhaps a feed of some kind).

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2013 at 4:29pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on May 24th, 2013 at 5:02pm:
I've always thought of YaBB forums as public access communities, but thinking aloud about it now, I realize there are other wonderful potential uses.

Certainly, there are private YaBB communities that can only be accessed by invitation. But what about an even more private use of a YaBB forum?

An extended family can use YaBB for its own use, and exclude everyone else. They can make their participation in it entirely private.

A company can use YaBB for it's employees, and other company business, and privatize that as well.

However, the main reason I thought about other potential uses of YaBB is that I was reminded of my days as a young adult, and even as a child when I maintained a personal diary. Except of course, I called it a journal, I guess to be more manly about it.

So that journal of years past, of years even beyond the world of so many people using computers, thinking aloud here, why couldn't a diary/journal be privately maintained in a YaBB forum?

If the outside world found it, all they'd see is a YaBB forum with maybe one topic, and one post. Everything else would be privatized (entirely invisible to the public). Contained in that post could be a statement extolling how terrific YaBB is, and encouragement for people to download it for their own use as they see fit.

Again, just thinking aloud here. Wink

funny that you say that Bill Myers wrote on May 24th, 2013 at 5:02pm:
An extended family can use YaBB for its own use, and exclude everyone else. They can make their participation in it entirely private.

as I have used yabb in the passed for just family to keep up with everyone but now it is easier to do with facebook groups.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2013 at 2:21am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 24th, 2013 at 7:20pm:
Well, my definition of blog is it's actually a 1 person forum.  Roll Eyes

So true. Wink

I was literally thinking of how one could use a YaBB forum as a private journal that can be accessed anywhere there's an Internet connection. That might be pretty cool.

I'm guessing a YaBB journal would be more organized than my laptop. Roll Eyes

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2013 at 7:20pm
Post Tools
Well, my definition of blog is it's actually a 1 person forum.  Roll Eyes

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
YaBB's multiuse potential
May 24th, 2013 at 5:02pm
Post Tools
I've always thought of YaBB forums as public access communities, but thinking aloud about it now, I realize there are other wonderful potential uses.

Certainly, there are private YaBB communities that can only be accessed by invitation. But what about an even more private use of a YaBB forum?

A company can use YaBB for it's employees, and other company business, and privatize that as well.

However, the main reason I thought about other potential uses of YaBB is that I was reminded of my days as a young adult, and even as a child when I maintained a personal diary. Except of course, I called it a journal, I guess to be more manly about it.

So that journal of years past, of years even beyond the world of so many people using computers, thinking aloud here, why couldn't a diary/journal be privately maintained in a YaBB forum?

If the outside world found it, all they'd see is a YaBB forum with maybe one topic, and one post. Everything else would be privatized (entirely invisible to the public). Contained in that post could be a statement extolling how terrific YaBB is, and encouragement for people to download it for their own use as they see fit.

Again, just thinking aloud here. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top