Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) PM Editing Yabb 2.4 (Read 2,536 times)
greydane

YaBB 2.6.1
PM Editing Yabb 2.4
May 24th, 2013 at 8:32pm
Post Tools
Your in User CP and select Send Message.  The PM message form opens up and you write your message and select send message.  It seems that once you send your message you cannot edit the contents if required.  Is this correct or am I missing something.

Thanks Bruce

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: PM Editing Yabb 2.4
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2013 at 10:42pm
Post Tools
Generally, once a PM has been sent, it's out of the hands of the sender - like an email.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2013 at 2:12am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 24th, 2013 at 10:42pm:
Generally, once a PM has been sent, it's out of the hands of the sender - like an email.

Actually, when a PM is sent, it can be called back if the recipient hasn't logged in to retrieve it. And if that's done, while you can't edit the message, you can simply copy and paste it into a new message before it's called back or removed. Then you can edit what you want before sending it again.

Edited:
Dandello wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 5:18am:
But if the recipient has PM notifications being sent to them via email, recalling the PM doesn't recall it from their email client. (Been caught that way.)

Good catch! Roll Eyes

To do this, go into your Sent box and choose Call Back. You'll see the following pop-up:

"Do you really want to remove that message from the receivers PMs?"

You can then click Okay or Cancel.

Keep in mind that if you click Okay, even though that message will have then been recalled, it will still show up in your Sent box folder until you remove it. It will not show up in the recipient's folder.

If you want to see how this works, send a PM to another member account you control. Wink

By the way, I just successfully tested this in our own forum. There was, however, one exception. Even after I logged out as the admin, a PM sent from another account I have to my admin account didn't give me the call back option. I don't know why this is, but it's unimportant since what I described otherwise works just fine.

On a related note to correct what I'm guessing is a typo, the word "receivers" should be "receiver(s)" instead.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2013 at 7:31am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - May 25th, 2013 at 5:18am
Post Tools
But if the recipient has PM notifications being sent to them via email, recalling the PM doesn't recall it from their email client. (Been caught that way.)

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #4 - May 25th, 2013 at 7:24am
Post Tools
... recalling the PM doesn't recall it from their email client.

Good catch! Roll Eyes

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - May 25th, 2013 at 2:38pm
Post Tools
I'm wondering if we need a 'catcher' that will turn off the PM recall if the single recipient has email PM notifications turned on.  Something to think about.

I know from experience that trying to recall a PM that's gone to email just confuses (and annoys) the recipient.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2013 at 3:31pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 2:38pm:
I'm wondering if we need a 'catcher' that will turn off the PM recall if the single recipient has email PM notifications turned on.  Something to think about.

don't need to think about it sounds like it is needed.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2013 at 3:54pm
Post Tools
I'm wondering if we need a 'catcher' that will turn off the PM recall if the single recipient has email PM notifications turned on.  Something to think about.

If that can be done, that would be pretty cool. Smiley

I know from experience that trying to recall a PM that's gone to email just confuses (and annoys) the recipient.

I don't think that's ever occurred to me, so thanks for bringing it up. I've recalled PMs before, but thanks to your note about how a recall actually works, I won't do that again. Instead, if need be, I'll simply send a follow-up PM.

I began to wonder why a PM can be recalled, and yet, it can't be edited it afterward. But then, editing a PM after it's been sent to a recipient's email client could be even more confusing, and potentially more irritating, so I guess it's good that editing can't be done.

On a related note regarding spam that get posted in a forum, and then gets subsequently deleted or moved to a staff-only area by an admin or moderator, with a new topic the following message takes its place (with a respective identifier):

Quote:
The information you are trying to access is not available to you. /home/yabbforum/data/forumdata/messages/1369467281.txt"

If the spam post is added to an existing topic as a reply, instead of a System Information message, the clickable link in YaBB's Board Notification takes you to the associated topic minus that moved or deleted spam post.

I think the way YaBB does this is fine. The only complaint I have about it is that the Board Notification that appears makes it seem as if you are the only one who can't access the information that is being accessed.

But this isn't really an issue since we admins can change that Board Notification to a notice of our choice. I haven't actually done this in our forum yet, but I may soon change that notice to read as follows:

"The information you are trying to access may have been spam, and removed by a moderator, or it may have been deleted by its author. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please enjoy the rest of our forum, and thank you for participating."

Edited:
Done! Except that I added "Reference:" after "participating." since YaBB automates a reference of what's missing at the end of the System Information message.

By the way, in our forum YaBB's automated reference only lists the text file versus a fuller listing as it's done in this forum. I prefer simply listing a shorter text file without listing our forum's otherwise hidden url. So in our forum that reference is simply, "./Messages/1215648040.txt".

Sometimes I can be such a YaBB nerd!  Cheesy Roll Eyes

Or as follows, maybe a shorter, and simpler notice would be better:

"Sorry, but the information you are trying to access is no longer available."

Just thinking aloud again. Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2013 at 4:23pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - May 25th, 2013 at 4:16pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 3:54pm:
Quote:The information you are trying to access is not available to you. /home/yabbforum/data/forumdata/messages/1369467281.txt" If the spam post is added to an existing topic as a reply, instead of a System Information message, the clickable link in YaBB's Board Notification takes you to the associated topic minus that moved or deleted spam post.I think the way YaBB does this is fine. The only complaint I have about it is that the Board Notification that appears makes it seem as if you are the only one who can't access the information that is being accessed.But this isn't really an issue since we admins can change that Board Notification to a notice of our choice. I haven't actually done this in our forum yet, but I may soon change that notice to read as follows:"The information you are trying to access may have been spam, and removed by a moderator, or it may have been deleted by its author. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please enjoy the rest of our forum, and thank you for participating."Or as follows, maybe a shorter, and simpler notice would be better:"Sorry, but the information you are trying to access is no longer available."Just thinking aloud again.

that error message is coerced as it uses move/split/splices as yabb just now  does not have a mark as spam feature just now so this is a item to talk about for a future version of YaBB but just now we have to get work finished on 2.5.4/2.6 so that we can get on with bug fixing and after that get the forum here updated and release it for general download then fix any missed bugs and oversights then we can start thinking about adding and improving feachers of YaBB but just now i think it is best to lock down development and get the next version released and get feedback on it.

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #9 - May 25th, 2013 at 4:27pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 4:16pm:
... this is a item to talk about for a future version of YaBB ...

I understand; no rush. Wink

You and the others working with Dandello are doing a really great job to improve what's already a terrific forum software. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2013 at 4:29pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

greydane

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #10 - May 25th, 2013 at 4:45pm
Post Tools

Yep, has happen to me also.  Thanks for the reply on the edit Dandello.  If that's the way it works then (ie No Edit) great.  I wanted to make sure I didn't break anything with all the Mods added to the forum.  The catch for the email would be good.  Normally, if I recall a PM I look at a members profile to see if "email PM" is selected.

Bruce

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #11 - May 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm
Post Tools
greydane wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 4:45pm:
Normally, if I recall a PM I look at a members profile to see if "email PM" is selected.

Good idea. Smiley

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - May 25th, 2013 at 4:52pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 4:27pm:
xnoddyx wrote on May 25th, 2013 at 4:16pm:
... this is a item to talk about for a future version of YaBB ...

I understand; no rush. Wink

You and the others working with Dandello are doing a really great job to improve what's already a terrific forum software. Smiley

Thank you.  Smiley

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #13 - May 30th, 2013 at 4:48am
Post Tools
Did some checking - when a PM recipient has PM email notifications turned on, the Call Back link isn't supposed to appear at all. (This is true in 2.4 and 2.5+. This the leaves the mystery as to why some of my members got email notifications of PMs and I still had a Call Back link to call back the message (this was in 2.5AE).  Huh

This situation led to much confusion at the time.

Edited:
I can come up with one extremely weird and unlikely scenario that would allow both an email notification of a PM and the Call Back link appearing on the sent PM but that involves the member getting the email notification and instead of actually reading the PM online they went and turned off their email notifications.

Under normal circumstances, if you have a Call Back link showing, they don't have PM email notifications turned on and the message can be safely Called Back.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2013 at 5:19am by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #14 - May 30th, 2013 at 4:22pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 30th, 2013 at 4:48am:
Did some checking - when a PM recipient has PM email notifications turned on, the Call Back link isn't supposed to appear at all.

Did some checking myself - in our 2.4 forum I can confirm this is exactly what happens. Cool

Interestingly, and this makes sense, I accidentally found out while testing the way a PM works that if you send a PM to a member who doesn't have email notification turned on, and they subsequently turn it on, the previously non-existent call back link then appears for the sender to call it back.

I know. That's a mouthful. But it means YaBB works as it's meant to be. Smiley

On a related note - this shouldn't be news because YaBB still works as it should, but I also noticed that if a member enables a PM Popup window, which includes a popup notification, this will of course be dependent on whether or not the browser they're using allows for popups.

But then, either way, a member can still allow for a popup from any given YaBB forum; one time, or all the time.
Yes, I'm biased about YaBB, but can I still say YaBB is a terrific forum? Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top