Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Getting rid of the 'regular' Preview in 2.5.4 (Read 1,361 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Getting rid of the 'regular' Preview in 2.5.4
May 28th, 2013 at 3:36pm
Post Tools
Ajax Live Preview works very well (with the exception of GreyBox which I'm sure Carsten, at some point, will get working.  Wink )

Now, it looks like 'regular' Preview was added for 2.5AE but with Live Preview working so well and using a formatting that gives a much better emulation of what the final post will look like, do we need Preview at all?

The EventCalendar doesn't have it. (I thought it was more trouble than it was worth to even try to add it to the EventCalendar since it now has Live Preview working.) I don't think the IM posting needs it and having it on message posts just points out how different Live Preview now looks as compared to the old Live Preview and Preview.

Thoughts?

You can see Ajax Live Preview in action at http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb254/YaBB.pl and at http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Getting rid of the 'regular' Preview in 2.5.4
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2013 at 4:44pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on May 28th, 2013 at 3:36pm:
Now, it looks like 'regular' Preview was added for 2.5AE but with Live Preview working so well and using a formatting that gives a much better emulation of what the final post will look like, do we need Preview at all?

Generally speaking, people like how YaBB already works (they get used to it, and hate changes), so they probably wouldn't want to get rid of Preview even if Live Preview works well.

Note: In our 2.4 forum I prefer using Live Preview except when I need to preview videos, in which case Live Preview doesn't display videos properly (so I need Preview to review them).

As such, please make sure Live Preview can display videos, and that it otherwise works well. Then for me personally, I don't think Preview would be needed (about this, I'm guessing I'll be in the minority of YaBB users at large).

In case it's an issue for future versions of YaBB ... this forum using YaBB Next Edition has neither Live Preview nor Preview available while sending or replying to a PM. As such, the way I preview a PM is to save it as a draft.

Also, at least here in this forum, a PM is managed within a pop-up window that requires scrolling, which for me personally is irritating even though I just deal with it since there's no other choice.

On the note of updating this particular forum with future versions of YaBB, please never, ever again update it with a version that hasn't been tested to know that it's relatively stable, and actually works the way it should.

This presumes that the absentee domain owner and absentee admin participate again. Roll Eyes

For years now, this forum has been an unacceptable embarrassment! Embarrassed

Edited:
From Carsten's Forum:
Quote:
I guess I should point out the obvious, that Preview isn't available here in Carsten's forum, and yet, I've been perfectly fine without it since Live Preview is what I prefer anyway.

If anyone is wondering, in Carsten's forum videos appear just fine while using Live Preview. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2013 at 5:03pm by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2013 at 5:05pm
Post Tools
I've tested Ajax Live Preview (many thanks to Carsten  Smiley) on the dev forum and it does support videos (even for guests), and in PMs having Live Preview active is now the default. (In fact there's no longer a choice - it's active, period, since the options for turning in on and off didn't work right and the current bunch of us working on it tend to the idea of if 'it looks the same (as in posting) it should behave the same' (as in options for posting).)

For me - I only use Preview or Live Preview when I'm not sure about the formatting of something or if I'm testing things.

And I noticed some time ago that Carsten's '2.4 tricked out to the hilt forum' doesn't have 'Preview'.

One thing dumping Preview will allow for the future - simplifying Quick Post ala vB (ala TAZ) and having an 'Advanced Posting' screen  for those who need it all the bells and whistles.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2013 at 5:07pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2013 at 10:11pm
Post Tools
Please keep up the great work. It's very much appreciated! Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo