Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
 10 Recovering Deleted Posts (Read 1,552 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Recovering Deleted Posts
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 8:11am
Post Tools
I don't know why, but you're making me think of Facebook because of how edited posts are shown with its history of what's been edited. Pretty cool stuff.

Ironically, here in this very forum, I remember a well known and generally well respected moderator who seemed to enjoy stirring things up with antagonistic comments against certain members (sometimes against brand new members), and who would then modify those comments to claim they had never been made.

For a good while nobody really believed this was being done. I didn't believe it until I saw what was happening with my own eyes more than once when I was online to see it. Included was the egregious practice of editing posts of members who had included original quotes of this moderator (who would subsequently ban some of these members).

The funny thing about it was that some regulars who knew what was going on would take screen shots of this moderator's original posts, which would then be subsequently passed around in email. Screen shots of posts that were subsequently deleted by this moderator would also be taken, and passed around.

Some banned members were given a couple of different access points through shared accounts, which I thought was pretty clever given the circumstances.

Suddenly, that moderator was gone. Some previously banned accounts were reinstated. Moderators in general once again showed professionalism. All was well in YaBB land.

Go figure. People on the inside stirring things up instead of outsiders doing it.

The thing is, that wasn't the first time that kind of bad behavior happened, nor was it the last time, either. Thankfully, peer pressure usually comes along to fix what's wrong.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 1:38am
Post Tools
In the case I had, they were deliberately doing what they were doing to stir things up, then would destroy the evidence to 'prove' their 'innocence' and to try to force me to act against their victims. It's one of those horror stories you read about and think people are making up - until it happens.

I did finally ban them and everybody else got their modify posts rights back.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 12:34am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jun 7th, 2013 at 11:10pm:
... they could scream about how these other people were misquoting them or out to get them or the quote was taken out of context... (you know the drill   Roll Eyes ).

I've never seen this as a reason to abrogate the ability of the majority of members who might want to modify or delete their own posts.

Problem members can always be banned for good reason if it comes to that, although peer pressure will often correct such bad behavior.

For those who choose to do it out of a need to keep a record of what's actually gone on, perhaps as part of the peer pressure process, members can always use the quote feature.

Bottom line: User friendly freedom of speech is pretty much always the best way to operate a forum.

xnoddyx wrote on Jun 7th, 2013 at 11:32pm:
... on a side note regarding user posts and copyright more so in the UK ...

Aside from any legal reasons to allow people to control their own speech, it's the morally correct thing to do.

Our forum hasn't had too many problems with bad behavior even though it does happen from time to time. Again, generally speaking, peer pressure corrects, or at least mitigates the bad behavior.

I suppose at some point if I ever feel compelled to be more dictatorial in the way I moderate our forum, I might choose to simply move questionable posts into a public board that is clearly marked as such. That way, people can choose to participate by reading or adding posts themselves, or they can simply use the rest of the forum in an otherwise user friendly fashion to honor the forum's intended purpose.

In practice: Each one of us admin can pretty much operate our respective forums any way we wish. We have that freedom just as members have the freedom to leave if they feel any given admin is too oppressive to tolerate. Any member can also leave if an admin operates their forum in a free-for-all manner (such as allowing spammers to invade, or allowing hate speech, etc.).

Each of our forums will be as popular or as unpopular as we are in the way that we administer them. That's just common sense.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 11:32pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 7th, 2013 at 9:22pm:
I'm in the minority about this because as I've seen it practiced, admins in general really enjoy being able to "control" other people.

on a side note regarding user posts and copyright more so in the UK if you don't have in your website/forum Registration Agreement all posts made are the property of xx website or forum then if that user cant edit any of there posts and requests and or orders you to make a edit to a post or posts then the admin, admins, staff of xx website or forum are legally obliged to do so in a timely manner and that is not even getting started on the uk items.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 11:10pm
Post Tools
On one of my boards I had a couple nasty people who would post things when they knew other people were on just to rile people up. Then they'd go back and delete the post or edit it so it was innocuous just so they could scream about how these other people were misquoting them or out to get them or the quote was taken out of context... (you know the drill  Roll Eyes).

Funny how all that stopped when I disallowed them the ability to remove their posts or modify them.  Cool

Edited:
Of course, I also know a lot of boards where the members behave more nicely than mine did and they allow for modifying posts and some allow deleting them. It really depends on the admin and their experiences.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2013 at 11:15pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 9:22pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jun 7th, 2013 at 8:35pm:
Setting the time limit to 0 does disable it - but they can always go back and modify the post into non-existence any way. I mean, if the poster wants it gone, they'll get it gone one way or another.  Roll Eyes

So true. But then, I guess with the time lock feature an admin can always restrict a member's ability to modify or delete their own posts.

I'm all about the freedom to modify or delete a member's own posts for as long a time as they wish. Other than expecting common sense "rules" to be followed, I generally have a pet peeve about telling a member what they can or can't do, particularly when it comes to their own posts. From what I can tell, I'm in the minority about this because as I've seen it practiced, admins in general really enjoy being able to "control" other people.

In our forum members can modify or delete their own posts for as long as they wish. As such, unless I can otherwise help them out if or when they make a mistake, or they otherwise change their mind, they can then take it upon themselves to be responsible about what happens to their own posts.

So modify them, delete them; do whatever you want. But live with the consequences. Wink

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 8:35pm
Post Tools
Interesting issue. I've had post deletion turned off on my boards for so long I hadn't noticed that individual posts didn't end up in the recycle bin.  Embarrassed

Setting the time limit to 0 does disable it - but they can always go back and modify the post into non-existence any way. I mean, if the poster wants it gone, they'll get it gone one way or another.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 8:07pm
Post Tools
minimatt wrote on Jun 7th, 2013 at 7:56pm:
The member isn't part of the staff but all that appears in the recycle bin in any full topics which are deleted rather than any individual posts.

Exactly!

In our 2.4 forum, messages that are deleted by members do not go into the Recycle Bin. The exception to this is if that message has been posted as a new topic, in which case it can be found in the Recycle Bin.

Because of this when a staff member might choose to delete a message, staff members are now supposed to move that otherwise deleted message to a staff-only section of our forum titled, "Posts To Review Or Save".

Inspired by how this forum seems to manage at least some of the spam posts that get through, I also have a staff-only section titled, "Spam Posts" if or when a spam post is published by a member or a guest.

I have on occasion retrieved otherwise lost deleted messages by accessing them from a local backup.

Edited:
minimatt wrote on Jun 7th, 2013 at 7:56pm:
We have the time limit set but sadly it was deleted within the time limit.

I wonder if this can be addressed by setting "0" for the option to "Enable a time limit to delete posts?"

If that works, then I guess if a member wanted to have a post deleted, they could have an admin do that for them.

Just thinking aloud. Wink

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2013 at 8:13pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

minimatt
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 7:56pm
Post Tools
The member isn't part of the staff but all that appears in the recycle bin in any full topics which are deleted rather than any individual posts. We have the time limit set but sadly it was deleted within the time limit.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 7:43pm
Post Tools
Assuming the members in question are not staff and you have not checked the 'Do not use the Recycle Bin' under Admin Center -> Forum Settings ->Staff, the messages should be in the recycle bin.  (You can deactivate 'delete posts' under Admin Center -> Forum Settings -> Posting ->TimeLock. Check the 'Enable a time limit for users to delete posts?' box and set the time limit to 0.)

IP Logged

minimatt
YaBB Newcomer

Recovering Deleted Posts
Jun 7th, 2013 at 6:57pm
Post Tools
Hi
I am currently running a Yabb 2.5.2 forum and was wondering whether there is a way to recover individual posts which have been deleted by members of the forum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top