Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Verbose: No such file or directory (Read 17,085 times)
------
Beta Testers

Re: Verbose: No such file or directory
Reply #135 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 2:50am
Post Tools
From My Host
Quote:
Can you let me know what made them (they mean us) determine that the issue was server's? I can then try figure it out.

This is why I believe that the issue is software's,
1. The file "cgi-bin/yabb2/Members/.pre" is not on the server. This is the reason why you received the 404 error.
2. The server does not delete the files from the accounts by itself unless a script from your software is made to do so.

Any idea how I can respond to this?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #136 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 4:25am
Post Tools
------ wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 12:16am:
I apologize

No worries. Wink

------ wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 2:50am:
Any idea how I can respond to this?

You don't want to upset anyone who's helping, but ...

As for getting a 404 error on what the tech claims to be a missing file, and please correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the error you're getting a YaBB software error message (not an actual server error)?

In other words, it might read as follows:

Quote:
Unable to open ./Members/11.pre
Verbose: No such file or directory

After all, if I understand it correctly, anyone trying to access a file in a cgi-bin folder would instead get a 500 error (I confirmed this with a file I uploaded to our own server).

So when the tech states the *.pre file isn't on the server, is that tech actually checking to see if it's on the server, or is the tech simply relying on the error message you gave them? That's to say, "No such file or directory".

As such, I'm kindly suggesting, and guessing that the tech is a bit confused.

As for the tech's point that "The server does not delete the files from the accounts by itself unless a script from your software is made to do so" ... I think there's a misunderstanding on their part as well.

Despite what I believe is a misunderstanding on a couple of points, my gut's telling me this may still be a server issue. I'm just guessing myself, but I think others with similar issues had a problem with the ownership of their files.

That's to say, it would not be your fault, but the fault of your host in not making sure that you as an admin are the actual owner of the files you upload. If I'm remembering correctly, there have been YaBB admin who upload files, but who don't actually have ownership of them. That it turn can cause YaBB to produce error messages.

I apologize for not knowing the actual solution to what's going on with your server, but hopefully my guessing can shed some light on what's going on, and in turn, a resident YaBB expert can offer a suggestion to solve your problem.

You might want to gently remind the tech that you're pretty experienced using YaBB, which is why you and others here in this forum are thinking that this is a server issue.

However it happens, I'm hoping for an otherwise easy fix. This is terribly frustrating!

Edited:
I don't know if this is related or not, or if this can serve as a possible clue, but ...

On occasion with memberships files that were problematic, I was able to "fix" bad files through FTP access as a root owner versus simply accessing FTP as a user with permissions. That included changing individual file permissions (CHMOD) to get files to work.

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2013 at 4:51am by Bill Myers »  

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #137 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 5:00am
Post Tools
A file/folder ownership issue would create the same error message. YaBB can't access the file it needs and so says it's missing, even if it isn't. (And ownership issues come and go as the host's techs mess with things. Been there, have the scars, trying to forget a horrible hosting experience.)

Ron - I don't recall if you've tried setting the Members directory to 666 - that should open up folder permissions a bit.

And next time you get an error, see if you can FTP in and confirm the file exists. (Although the self-healing part would indicate the file exists but YaBB can't see it at that moment.)

Edited:
The '.pre' file probably isn't on the server, but why YaBB would be looking for a file with that name is a head scratcher and would imply that the registration log file got corrupted. So on the next error maybe you could post a copy of 'registration.log' so we can see if that's being written to properly.

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2013 at 5:09am by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #138 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 6:47am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 5:00am:
... Members directory to 666 - that should open up folder permissions a bit.

Did you mean the membership files?

In our 2.4 forum our Members directory has permissions of 755, and I think most of the membership files in it had permissions of 644. But I do remember your good advice about this, which is why some of our problematic membership files were changed to 666 (thanks again for that).

Just because I didn't want to see any more problems with these files, I subsequently changed the permissions for all membership files at the time from 644 to 666.

However, I just checked to confirm that new members are automatically given permissions of 644 when they register (with no reported problems so far).

Note: An FTP account holder isn't able to change permissions if they don't actually "own" the files. Intricacies regarding ownership can be affected by a host when changes are made, which can suddenly cause problems.

Whenever I've suddenly had problems, this is one of the reasons that I check with the techs to see if any recent changes have been made. Generally speaking, the techs then know what to do to fix a problem that they inadvertently caused.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #139 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 1:19pm
Post Tools
Ron - I don't recall if you've tried setting the Members directory to 666 - that should open up folder permissions a bit.

That folder was set to 755, I just changed to to 666 and received the following

Unable to open ./Members/username.ims
Verbose: Permission denied

Did you mean 777?

And next time you get an error, see if you can FTP in and confirm the file exists. (Although the self-healing part would indicate the file exists but YaBB can't see it at that moment.)

I already did that and the file never existed.

Newest error
Unable to open ./Boards/.txt

Bill Myers wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 6:47am:

We need an ignore member feature for the next version of YaBB
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2013 at 1:21pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #140 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 2:52pm
Post Tools
I should never ever ever code past my bedtime. I meant 777.  Embarrassed

And that boards error is pointing to a possible corruption in /Boards/forum.master which should not be showing up suddenly. If it was a YaBB software issue, you'd have seen it before and others would have reported it. So this now appears to be a cascading failure on the hardware/host software side.

Ask your Host is they made any changes to Perl - any new modules, new security protocols, any upgrades. Because something is going on there, we all know it's not good.

Also,  my hubby's AV computer blew out the resistors on the motherboard yesterday and it was showing similar symptoms (missing files that were actually there) before it stopped working all together. I suggest backing up everything and saving it somewhere safe before it all goes kablooey.

Does this host have a users' forum by any chance? Because I seriously doubt you're the only one having this problem with their more complex Perl scripts. (And if they don't have a users' forum, that should tell you somethings as well.  Roll Eyes )

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #141 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 3:32pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 2:52pm:
I should never ever ever code past my bedtime. I meant 777.   Embarrassed

Ah, I had forgotten the 777 fix; but temporarily of course. Cool

------ wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 1:19pm:
We need an ignore member feature for the next version of YaBB

We have that now. It's called scrolling past members you don't like. Cheesy

I couldn't/wouldn't use an "ignore member feature" as an admin because it's an irresponsible thing to do. I've seen some admins and moderators do that to people in some YaBB forums, which is sad because it makes that admin seem petty, and simply without good social skills.

But in truth, I think the real problem is that some people aren't particularly happy with their own lives. Or maybe they're going through something that's adversely affected them. So I try to give those people the benefit of doubt, and I continue to interact with them even when they attack just in case there's a ray of sunshine that can come forth from an otherwise dark sadness within.

Happily enough, the good in people will often win out. But until then, it would be kind of cool to be able to give those people character permissions of 777 so that they too can become whole again.

I operate a forum in which people in general are shunned by society; at least in the United States because of puritanical beliefs, and unfortunate prejudices. Because of this, I'm particularly proud to support those who might otherwise be attacked, or simply misunderstood.

Operating a YaBB forum can offer many great benefits. Smiley

But I digress. After all, this topic is mant to address "Verbose: No such file or directory" -  not a verbose member who now more than ever believes with experts here that this is indeed a server/host issue.

As such, my wish is for a speedy solution. Smiley

Edited:
... my hubby's AV computer blew out the resistors on the motherboard yesterday and it was showing similar symptoms ...

I can empathize. Ouch! Cry

Not that long ago our forum suddenly produced a 500 error. The error disappeared, and then it reappeared. But thankfully after I had contacted tech, of all things, they realized my server's power source was close to failing. They replaced it, and everything was fine again.

Go figure!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2013 at 3:37pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #142 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 3:56pm
Post Tools
Just for kicks I changed my password. I don't think that's the problem but it can't hurt.

And that boards error is pointing to a possible corruption in /Boards/forum.master which should not be showing up suddenly. If it was a YaBB software issue, you'd have seen it before and others would have reported it. So this now appears to be a cascading failure on the hardware/host software side.

It is the forum.master. I noticed the other day that there was duplicate boards and categories entries in there. If a person uses the navigation just below the tabs they get an error message and the Guardian bans their IP. This has happened to a few folks including me. This is the first time something showed up in the error log about this problem. I thought I cleaned it but looks like I might have missed something.

Ask your Host is they made any changes to Perl - any new modules, new security protocols, any upgrades. Because something is going on there, we all know it's not good.

Will Do

I suggest backing up everything and saving it somewhere safe before it all goes kablooey.

Done

Does this host have a users' forum by any chance? Because I seriously doubt you're the only one having this problem with their more complex Perl scripts. (And if they don't have a users' forum, that should tell you somethings as well

Yes, they did and they had a habit of deleting anything negative. I just noticed they removed the forum.

Another error ./Members/.158.71.112.pre
So now I know its not spammers

Edited:
Bill Myers wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 3:32pm:
I couldn't/wouldn't use an "ignore member feature" as an admin because it's an irresponsible thing to do

I just want to use it here
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2013 at 3:58pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #143 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 4:14pm
Post Tools
Not spammers - and the fact that the host removed negative feedback and then removed the forum tells you they had lots of negative feedback they don't want people to know about. Not a good sign.  Huh

We shouldn't rule out an problem with a mod in regards to the Boards error issue. (Although the problem showing up suddenly in conjunction with these other issues still points to a hosting problem rather than a YaBB problem.) Could you PM me a link to your board? (And maybe add me as a member so I can look at the navigation?)

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #144 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 4:57pm
Post Tools
PM Sent, thanks

Dandello wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 4:14pm:
Not spammers - and the fact that the host removed negative feedback and then removed the forum tells you they had lots of negative feedback they don't want people to know about. Not a good sign

I called knownhost this morning and couldn't get through to anybody. Habit of mine, first contact is always by phone. I guess I'm old that way.

Dandello wrote on Jul 12th, 2013 at 4:14pm:
We shouldn't rule out an problem with a mod in regards to the Boards error issue. (Although the problem showing up suddenly in conjunction with these other issues still points to a hosting problem rather than a YaBB problem.) Could you PM me a link to your board? (And maybe add me as a member so I can look at the navigation?)

I think this was my fault. The way I quickly moved the forum by copying everything over might have caused the issue

Edited:
Unable to open ./Members/165.206.226.pre

changing password didn't do a thing
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2013 at 5:00pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 
Topic Tools