Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Verbose: No such file or directory (Read 15,428 times)
------
Beta Testers

Re: Verbose: No such file or directory
Reply #45 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 10:11pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Jun 20th, 2013 at 8:55pm:
2.5.2 is actually pretty stable if you add the various bug-fixes

I was once in a small plane while a friend piloting, he look over at me and said "the plane is still pretty stable with one of the engines down"

Were does one find these bug fixes?

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #46 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 12:16am
Post Tools
Well that didn't last long, just received that error message again.  
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2013 at 12:29am by ------ »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #47 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 1:17am
Post Tools
------ wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 12:16am:
Well that didn't last long, just received that error message again.

You might want to reconsider installing ggn's anti-spam CAPTCHA hack. Wink

If you have under a dozen or so real people wanting to register in your forum on any given day, another effective alternative is to replace YaBB's default registration in favor of your own Register menu icon.

In doing so, after disabling YaBB's default registration, which will take away the Register menu tab, anyone clicking the Register menu tab you'll subsequently create will be redirected to a post in your forum that includes your email address, and simple instructions asking them to send you their chosen user ID and chosen displayed name.

In turn, you'll register that new member yourself, and provide them with a temporary password with instructions for them to change it to a password of their choice after they've logged in to their account.

But again, implementing ggn's anti-spam CAPTCHA hack should solve your problems if you want to give it a try. If you don't like using that registration method, you can always go back to what you have now.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #48 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 1:52am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 1:17am:
You might want to reconsider installing ggn's anti-spam CAPTCHA hack.

I may have to do this, what's scary is these spammers are getting passed Spamfruit.

Bill Myers wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 1:17am:
If you have under a dozen or so real people wanting to register in your forum on any given day, another effective alternative is to replace YaBB's default registration in favor of your own Register menu icon.

I've been thinking along those lines as a last resort

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #49 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 3:25am
Post Tools
------ wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 1:52am:
... what's scary is these spammers are getting passed Spamfruit.

I noticed that started happening sometime last year not long after I had temporarily stopped using the CAPTCHA hack. I wanted to only use Spamfruits to see what might happen. But just like spam-bot automation had figured out a way to defeat regular CAPTCHA, it also figured out how to get past Spamfruits.

When I once again implemented ggn's anti-spam CAPTCHA hack, spam-bots were stopped cold.

I still use Spamfruits because it continues to stop a lot of spam-bots. Plus, I like the way it looks.

Happily, as I've mentioned before, ggn's anti-spam CAPTCHA hack allows for open registration without approvals, and it allows for guest posting as well.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #50 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 2:04pm
Post Tools
Ok Bill, I'll give it a shot, ggn's hack is installed.

It would be nice if the leading and ending letters could be randomized
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2013 at 2:07pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #51 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 2:51pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Jun 20th, 2013 at 10:11pm:
Dandello wrote on Jun 20th, 2013 at 8:55pm:
2.5.2 is actually pretty stable if you add the various bug-fixes

I was once in a small plane while a friend piloting, he look over at me and said "the plane is still pretty stable with one of the engines down"

Were does one find these bug fixes?

you can find that here http://yabb.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/yabb/branches/2.5.2/
and click on Download GNU tarball

a bit OT but most small planes are still pretty stable with no engines and can glide and land.  Wink

Quote:
------ wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 1:52am:
I may have to do this, what's scary is these spammers are getting passed Spamfruit.

Bill Myers wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 3:25am:
I noticed that started happening sometime last year not long after I had temporarily stopped using the CAPTCHA hack. I wanted to only use Spamfruits to see what might happen. But just like spam-bot automation had figured out a way to defeat regular CAPTCHA, it also figured out how to get past Spamfruits.

yes unfortunately spammers just like junk mail are now just a part of life as there will always be someone ready to pay a spammer to put links to there website as a valid form of advertising and no matter how many spammers are taking down one more will just fill that spot the best way to fix it is to take down the chain of supply and demand with no supply there is no demand how to do this is every time a spammer posts a link to a website take that website offline every time a spammer posts business advertising that business is a fine or a penalty for 10,000 for every for each and every one so if there are two then that will be 20,000  Wink

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #52 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 3:30pm
Post Tools
Thanks xnoddyx

xnoddyx wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 2:51pm:
a bit OT but most small planes are still pretty stable with no engines and can glide and land.

That is what he said next.

xnoddyx wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 2:51pm:
you can find that here http://yabb.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/yabb/branches/2.5.2/
and click on Download GNU tarball

I have a few mods installed will I lose the data from them. Will I have to reinstall them?

StopForumSpam Mod
SpamFruits 4 YaBB25
YaMMS 4 YaBB24
Users Today (disabled for now)
HTML in Posts for YaBB 2.5 AE
YaBB Advertisement
Reason Mod

I guess I can install in a separate directory to test it (yabb2-5) and change the directory's name (back to yabb2) once I know it works? I figure I'll have to change the file location in Paths.pl.

Then I just move the members and message directories?

Does that make sense?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #53 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 3:55pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 2:04pm:
... ggn's hack is installed.

It would be nice if the leading and ending letters could be randomized

Not for you and me just yet, but I believe letters can be randomized (or easily changed) while using the mod version of ggn's CAPTCHA hack (as Dandello has it installed in her test bed forum). With ggn's happy approval, Derek Barnstorm authored his CAPTCHA hack into a mod that will be part of YaBB's next release.

Meanwhile, as needed, those of us using this hack can change those letters as we want. Surprisingly, the good news is that I haven't needed to change any of the letters in over 2 years of using it. But at least I can if I need to make that change.

------ wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 3:30pm:
I guess I can install in a separate directory to test it (yabb2-5) and change the directory's name (back to yabb2) once I know it works?

That's how I did it when I upgraded from the Gold 1.3.1 version I previously used to the 2.4 version I use now.

Edited:
Then I just move the members and message directories?

But I think there may be another step needed to make that compatible. I've since forgotten.

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2013 at 3:57pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #54 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 4:10pm
Post Tools
Well I see an awful lot of
Quote:
The Verification code was not the same as the image presented on screen, please go back, refresh (hit F5 on most browsers) and try again.

But I just got this error message
Quote:
Unable to open ./Members/n_Layman.pre
Verbose: No such file or directory

The person that got the error matches his name with the first two characters cut off (Len) (he is a Good guy)

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #55 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 4:13pm
Post Tools
Thanks xnoddyxxnoddyx wrote Today at 3:51pm:a bit OT but most small planes are still pretty stable with no engines and can glide and land. That is what he said next.
cool  Smiley

xnoddyx wrote Today at 3:51pm:you can find that here http://yabb.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/yabb/branches/2.5.2/and click on Download GNU tarball I have a few mods installed will I lose the data from them. Will I have to reinstall them?StopForumSpam ModSpamFruits 4 YaBB25YaMMS 4 YaBB24Users Today (disabled for now)HTML in Posts for YaBB 2.5 AEYaBB AdvertisementReason Mod

25AE Mods that work on 2.5.2 http://testbed.dandello.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?virboard=general;num=135049650...

also some 2.5AE mods are just 2.4 mods  Wink Edited:
may need some tweaks to work
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2013 at 4:17pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #56 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 5:03pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 4:10pm:
But I just got this error message
Quote:
Unable to open ./Members/n_Layman.pre
Verbose: No such file or directory

The person that got the error matches his name with the first two characters cut off (Len) (he is a Good guy)

I'm now believing this could be a permissions issue. Check to see if the permissions for your Members folder is set at 755. Beyond that, check to see that permissions for your members are set at 644 (may need to be set at 666).

Also, and I think Dandello has already mentioned this, but it's possible you're running out of room on your server, which means YaBB isn't able to fully write all that's needed when somebody registers.

If you're running out of space on your server, it's probably because of automated backups your host is doing for you. Check this through FTP, and delete those older backups after you've saved them locally if you want them saved.

Edited:
------ wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 4:10pm:
Well I see an awful lot of
Quote:
The Verification code was not the same as the image presented on screen, please go back, refresh (hit F5 on most browsers) and try again.

This means spam-bots are being stopped cold. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2013 at 5:05pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #57 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 5:52pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 5:03pm:
I'm now believing this could be a permissions issue. Check to see if the permissions for your Members folder is set at 755. Beyond that, check to see that permissions for your members are set at 644 (may need to be set at 666).

That was the very first thing I checked - all is good

Also, and I think Dandello has already mentioned this, but it's possible you're running out of room on your server, which means YaBB isn't able to fully write all that's needed when somebody registers.

That's the second thing I checked - I'm using less than 20% of all my resources

This means spam-bots are being stopped cold

I think so.
I'm still waiting for a real person to sign up, I usually get a bunch everyday.

Edited:
New member signed up, looks like it work!  Smiley

xnoddyx wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 4:13pm:

I see I have to install the mods in a particular order, I wasn't aware of that.

Do you know if the data for Yamms will have to be input again by the members or will that carry over?
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2013 at 6:13pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #58 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 7:21pm
Post Tools
Oh well, the errors are still occurring.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #59 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 9:03pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 5:52pm:
I see I have to install the mods in a particular order, I wasn't aware of that.

some times you don't need to it all depends on what parts of the yabb code are being edited and the mods making that edit it is as you don't need to use a live forum to test you can test as much as you want to and not have to worry about it
if I can get some free time and if you have not started on it I will setup a test 2.5.2 and try the mods in your list in it and see how that works out and will post back here for you.

------ wrote on Jun 21st, 2013 at 5:52pm:
Do you know if the data for Yamms will have to be input again by the members or will that carry over?

sorry this I don't no but you can ask carsten about it here http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1287026922 on his forum.

YaBB install help video
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top