Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Verbose: No such file or directory (Read 16,010 times)
------
Beta Testers

Verbose: No such file or directory
Jun 8th, 2013 at 11:07pm
Post Tools
Yabb 2.4

Over the last couple of days I've been getting the following error

Unable to open ./Members/11.pre

It was easy to clear up, I just added that file in the directory and the forum worked again.

But the problem is this was happening 4-5 times a day.

BTW sometimes the file looked like a person's name and other times it looked like an IP address

I went through everything I could think of and so did my host provider to figure out the cause of this problem. All to no avail.

I have StopForumSpam installed and 10 or so an hour was still getting through.

Now that darndest thing happened, the problem just stopped, no more errors and SFS is catching the bad guys. The curious thing is we don't do anything to fix the problem

I'm beginning to wonder if the forum software and/or server resources were being overwhelmed with spammers and bots trying to register? Is such a thing possible?

Do bad guys take weekends off?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Verbose: No such file or directory
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 12:49am
Post Tools
This can happen when they're trying to register with using all-number  names and Encrypt User IDs is turned on. What happens is the all number ID gets messed up in the encryption/decryption process so it can't find the real file. (At least this is what I observed while trying to get YaBB to accept all number user names.) So, assuming you have ID encryption turned on, the next time this happens, turn it off temporarily and chances are good the error will go away and you'll be able to find the actual file.

Edited:
And that's one of the reasons I rarely log out of my forums.

If you're locked but can ftp and edit Settings.pl, it should be
Code
Select All
$do_scramble_id = 0;                              # Set to 1 scambles all visible links containing user ID's 

to turn off the encryption.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2013 at 12:54am by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 10:35am
Post Tools
Thanks Dandello, I'll give this a try.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 5:34pm
Post Tools
If it turns out I'm right and your spammers are trying to use all number user names and you need to have Encrypt ID turned on, the fix is:

In Register.pl find:
Code
Select All
	&fatal_error("invalid_character","$register_txt{'35'} $register_txt{'241re'}") if $member{'regusername'} =~ /[^\w\+\-\.\@]/;

Add below:
Code
Select All
    if ( $member{'regusername'} =~ /^[0-9]+$/sm ) {
        fatal_error( 'all_numbers',
            "$register_txt{'35'} $register_txt{'241n'}" );
    }

And in Register.lng find
Code
Select All
'241re' => 'field. Valid Characters are Letters, Numbers, Spaces and ( [ ] # % + , - | . : = ? @ ^ _ )',

and add below:
Code
Select All
'241n' => 'cannot be all numbers.',

This code is part of 2.5.4 but should work fine with 2.4, 2.5.AE and 2.5.2. It simply prevents registration with all number user names so the Encrypt ID function won't choke.

Now, why SFS wasn't catching them - this batch of spammers may have simply gotten hold of a batch of un-flagged IP addresses.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 6:16pm
Post Tools
Dandello, you're the best!  Smiley

I can confirm in our 2.4 forum that Dandello's instructions on how to fix this appears to work perfectly fine. I tested this by trying to use an all number User ID, which resulted in the following YaBB notification:

Quote:
System Information

User ID cannot be all numbers.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 7:06pm
Post Tools
Thanks  Smiley

I tried mightily to get all number IDs to work properly, but finally threw in the towel and decided that it was better to 'just say no' to them.  Smiley

Now, if you already have members using all number ID's then chances are you don't have Encrypt ID turned on and YaBB won't have any problems with working with those files (like deleting user accounts or approving registrations).

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 12:38am
Post Tools
I do have a fair number or members who registered using all numbers for their user ID, but those members registered when I was using YaBB 1 Gold SP1.3.1 and none have made any posts.

Encrypt User ID is enabled for our forum (probably enabled when I installed 2.4).

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 3:37am
Post Tools
That shouldn't stop them from doing things like posting if they wanted. It's a weird few things that get messed when doing admin things, like deleting them or activating their memberships, things like that. Like I said, weird things.

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 4:09pm
Post Tools
I just received this error

Unable to open ./Members/harner.pre

I knew I was going to be away so I gave admin rights to a long time member and showed how to go through the registration process and register a bogus user then approve him. Doing this temporarily cleared the problem.

But it seems the problem is not just registering with numbers. In the meanwhile I'll add your code, thanks Dandello

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 4:57pm
Post Tools
This is weird. Check and make sure that .Members/memberlist.approve and memberlist.inactive are okay.  (no lines run together or really weird looking entries.)

For memberlist.inactive: each line should have 6 pipe (|) delimited fields. The first field is the registration date (in Perl), the second will be either an 'N' or their activation code, the third is their chosen user name, fourth is their password (this may or may not be encrypted). Five is their email address and finally their IP address.

I'm guessing that at some point something got messed up in the inactive file or something is wrong with the 'remove user line when user is approved or declined' section so the file isn't being properly updated and still has entries for users who have already been approved or declined.

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 5:13pm
Post Tools
Right now there is one membership waiting to be email validated and no memberships waiting to be approved

memberlist.approve is empty

Contents of memberlist.inactive
Code
Select All
1370882280|s3z9suxa2BgH9rNMpAvF|OnaMinter|ve9lvx5BZ|vpsdave@hotmail.com| 

FWIW I approved membership to three new users, 2 before the problem and one after the problem.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2013 at 6:06pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 7:18pm
Post Tools
This is in the registration log section, right?

That section checks against the registration.log file in ./Variables
It also checks ./Members/memberlist.txt, ./Members/memberlist.inactive, and ./Members/memberlist.approve

Make sure that the registration.log file isn't corrupted or has extra entries in it. What's in there should match up with what's in the memberlist.inactive and memberlist.approve files.

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 7:48pm
Post Tools
I was thinking along the same lines so I had cleared the registration log. I'll check again after the next registration and after the error message.

In memberlist.txt I see  the latest members at the bottom of the list, looks clean to my eye

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 5:59pm
Post Tools
It seems the reason for the errors I've been getting are the registration and error logs are becoming corrupt. Any idea what might be causing this?
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2013 at 6:00pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2013 at 10:13pm
Post Tools
2.4 simply doesn't have all the filters and limits that 2.5 and 2.52 have to keep out some of the bad stuff spammers put into registration fields in their attempts to hack things or make you turn off security precautions that would make it easier for them to get in.

Upgrading to 2.5.2 should take care a lot of that.

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2013 at 10:16pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top