Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Verbose: No such file or directory (Read 14,700 times)
Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Re: Verbose: No such file or directory
Reply #99 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 8:45pm
Post Tools
At this point, an issue with the host/server is not outside the realm of possibility. There are other large and busy YaBB forums out there and I haven't seen a report of any of them having similar issues either using 2.4 or newer versions.

(And I also suspect a server issue as - in theory - the Guardian IP blocks  in .htaccess shouldn't have allowed for multiple copies of the same IP address in the .htaccess because those IPs shouldn't have been able to reach YaBB to trigger Guardian into adding them after they were added the first time.)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #98 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 7:21pm
Post Tools
Another .pre error today.

Is it possible this is not caused by spammers and a read/wirte error caused by my host provider's hardware/software?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #97 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 3:14pm
Post Tools
I think any one of us can become redundant when trying to offer help. I can be particularly redundant; much too verbose. Sorry.

I feel badly that you're still having problems. I was sure that one of YaBB's resident experts would have been able to help. But you're an attentive admin who seems to be as persistent as I am when trying to figure out what to do, so I suspect the problems you're having will be solved in due time.

Hang in there. I wish you the best. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #96 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 12:57pm
Post Tools
You are becoming redundant Bill.

I took a look at your forum and understand why you want open registrations along with open submissions from guests. Without both your forum wouldn't be very viable.

We all don't work within the same parameters you have set for your site nor wish too.   

Thank you for your time and please, do not respond to the problems I'm trying to resolve. Its obvious we have different concerns.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #95 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 12:50am
Post Tools
Because spam-bots have been stopped cold since January of 2011 in our forum, we don't even need to have Referral Security activated. No worries about what to check or uncheck.
How sweet it's been, and still is so far. Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #94 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 11:38pm
Post Tools
And that is why I have unchecked the resetpass box in Referrer Security

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #93 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:21pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:06pm:
I love the simplicity of ggn's CAPTCHA it just causes problems to the people that are attracted to my forum.

I understand. Smiley

What that will mean, of course, is that you'll have to continue managing the errors you get, and limit your forum to members only in terms of being able to post. I just wanted other admins to know that they can stop spam-bots cold if that's what they choose to do. They can also freely allow for instant registrations without worry.

Bottom line: Admins should simply do what they think works best for their forum, and accept the results of what they've chosen to do.

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #92 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:06pm
Post Tools
Personally I think SpamFruits and SFS work the best and rarely see a log entry from Anti_Spam Questions.

I love the simplicity of ggn's CAPTCHA it just causes problems to the people that are attracted to my forum.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #91 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 8:16pm
Post Tools
I like DB's Anti-Spam Question mod. Excellent choice. I have that one inactive right now, but only because I somehow messed it up, and I need to fix it.

I also have Carsten's Spamfruits, which continues to stop many spam-bots.

But ggn's CAPTCHA hack is what allows me to have open registrations without approval. Plus, this allows for guest posting as well. A good example of guest posting being allowed is at Dandello's test bed forum (check it out at near the bottom of her General Board).

By the way, DB authored ggn's CAPTCHA hack as a mod for the next release of YaBB. Cool

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 8:18pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #90 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:57pm
Post Tools
I forgot to mention, I also have DB's Anti-Spam Question (with revised questions) running.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #89 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:15pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:57pm:
What seems to work the best is a combination of those excellent tools and keeping the referrer security tight.

I generally agree with that. As long as an admin doesn't mind managing the spam-bots that get through, or dealing with other avoidable errors, that's the way to go.

The thing is, there are YaBB forums that now operate entirely free of spam-bots. The way that's being done is what actually does work best; obviously.

What's interesting to me is to see otherwise experienced admins get so tangled up in how to stop spam-bots that they can't see the forest because of the trees.

I won't mention anyone in particular, but sometimes an admin is their own worst enemy when it comes to spam-bots (they allow them to win). Unnecessary, and puzzlingly sad.

To each their own. Wink

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #88 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 6:57pm
Post Tools
Open Registration  Shocked   I seriously doubt that would work for me Bill.

StopForumSpam prevents 100 spammers per day
SpamFruit prevents another 70 per day.
Honeypot stops another 50.
ggn's anti-spam CAPTCHA another boat load per day.

I had to remove gnn's CAPTCHA a few days ago when I found it was causing to much confusion with real people trying to become members. Once I removed it I found SFS and SF took over just fine.

After all this I still submit 3-4 spammers per day to SFS and one still got though to cause the error. Its that last one that is causing me the grief.

What seems to work the best is a combination of those excellent tools and keeping the referrer security tight.

All open registration would do is create a place for the lowlife spammers to post their nonsense

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:02pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #87 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 5:08pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 2:29pm:
Another .pre error today

Yeah, I've passed all those troubles up simply by allowing open registration without approvals. That of course is only possible because of YaBB's superior anti-spam tools.

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #86 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 2:29pm
Post Tools
Another .pre error today

The forum was down for about 15 minutes before it repaired itself.

Last night I turned on the first two items in the Referrer security, help and resetpass. I'm guessing it was the later that was the problem.

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #85 - Jun 27th, 2013 at 8:58pm
Post Tools
I was testing out a problem a person had with registering and accidentally banned myself   Grin. I have another computer that has a different IP address and was able to quickly cure the problem. Then I got that same 500 error on 2.5.22

I decided to start moving some files from the test forum to the working forum. First directory was the Variables. While that fixed the problem I still don't know what was the cause.

Dandello wrote on Jun 27th, 2013 at 6:33pm:
While there are a few typos remaining in the Error language and Guardian Language files, if the message has bogus characters in it or is written in really bad English, it's not from YaBB - it was put into a query string just to get Guardian to send it to the Admin so he/she would panic.

Kind of like the email from my bank asking me for my password - Thanks

Yesterday I had used Guardian to add IP Blocks to .htaccess and within 24 hours that file was 6 meg. I looked at it and there multiple instances of the same IP. I decided it was best to turn that off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top