YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic Tools

Verbose: No such file or directory (Read 10,631 times)
 Reply #90 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 7:57pm
There are no actions to perform.  

RonS2 
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: Verbose: No such file or directory
I forgot to mention, I also have DB's Anti-Spam Question (with revised questions) running.

IP Logged  
 Reply #91 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 8:16pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
I like DB's Anti-Spam Question mod. Excellent choice. I have that one inactive right now, but only because I somehow messed it up, and I need to fix it.

I also have Carsten's Spamfruits, which continues to stop many spam-bots.

But ggn's CAPTCHA hack is what allows me to have open registrations without approval. Plus, this allows for guest posting as well. A good example of guest posting being allowed is at Dandello's test bed forum (check it out at near the bottom of her General Board).

By the way, DB authored ggn's CAPTCHA hack as a mod for the next release of YaBB. Cool

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2013 at 8:18pm by Bill Myers »  
Morning, noon, or night, have a great one! ...
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #92 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:06pm

RonS2 
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Personally I think SpamFruits and SFS work the best and rarely see a log entry from Anti_Spam Questions.

I love the simplicity of ggn's CAPTCHA it just causes problems to the people that are attracted to my forum.

IP Logged  
 Reply #93 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:21pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
RonS2 wrote on Jul 2nd, 2013 at 9:06pm:
I love the simplicity of ggn's CAPTCHA it just causes problems to the people that are attracted to my forum.

I understand. Smiley

What that will mean, of course, is that you'll have to continue managing the errors you get, and limit your forum to members only in terms of being able to post. I just wanted other admins to know that they can stop spam-bots cold if that's what they choose to do. They can also freely allow for instant registrations without worry.

Bottom line: Admins should simply do what they think works best for their forum, and accept the results of what they've chosen to do.

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #94 - Jul 2nd, 2013 at 11:38pm

RonS2 
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
And that is why I have unchecked the resetpass box in Referrer Security

IP Logged  
 Reply #95 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 12:50am

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Because spam-bots have been stopped cold since January of 2011 in our forum, we don't even need to have Referral Security activated. No worries about what to check or uncheck.
How sweet it's been, and still is so far. Smiley

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #96 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 12:57pm

RonS2 
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
You are becoming redundant Bill.

I took a look at your forum and understand why you want open registrations along with open submissions from guests. Without both your forum wouldn't be very viable.

We all don't work within the same parameters you have set for your site nor wish too.  

Thank you for your time and please, do not respond to the problems I'm trying to resolve. Its obvious we have different concerns.

IP Logged  
 Reply #97 - Jul 3rd, 2013 at 3:14pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
I think any one of us can become redundant when trying to offer help. I can be particularly redundant; much too verbose.
Sorry

I feel badly that you're still having problems. I was sure that one of YaBB's resident experts would have been able to help. But you're an attentive admin who seems to be as persistent as I am when trying to figure out what to do, so I suspect the problems you're having will be solved in due time.

Hang in there. I wish you the best. Smiley

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #98 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 7:21pm

RonS2 
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Another .pre error today.

Is it possible this is not caused by spammers and a read/wirte error caused by my host provider's hardware/software?

IP Logged  
 Reply #99 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 8:45pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
At this point, an issue with the host/server is not outside the realm of possibility. There are other large and busy YaBB forums out there and I haven't seen a report of any of them having similar issues either using 2.4 or newer versions.

(And I also suspect a server issue as - in theory - the Guardian IP blocks  in .htaccess shouldn't have allowed for multiple copies of the same IP address in the .htaccess because those IPs shouldn't have been able to reach YaBB to trigger Guardian into adding them after they were added the first time.)

IP Logged  
 Reply #100 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 9:22pm

RonS2 
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Dandello wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 8:45pm:
(And I also suspect a server issue as - in theory - the Guardian IP blocks  in .htaccess shouldn't have allowed for multiple copies of the same IP address in the .htaccess because those IPs shouldn't have been able to reach YaBB to trigger Guardian into adding them after they were added the first time.)

My thinking as well.

I had to stop Guardian from adding IPs because the file was growing way to big. There is a .htaccess in the YaBB folder and one in the YaBB/Variables folder.  If I remember correctly it was the .htaccess in YaBB/Variables that the Guardian was adding the IPs. I'm going to turn it back on again and see what happens.

Edited:
The Guardian is writing to the .htaccess in the Yabb folder. Its the ban_log.txt in the YaBB/Variables folder thats getting written to there

Dandello wrote on Jul 5th, 2013 at 8:45pm:
At this point, an issue with the host/server is not outside the realm of possibility.

I know when I go to my host provider I'm going to get "Its the software's fault", at least the was the response I got from them last month when I approached them about this issue.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:35pm by RonS2 »  

IP Logged  
 Reply #101 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:45pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
The ban_log in Variables lists attempts from banned IPs to access the forum. But if .htaccess in YaBB's 'root' has those IPs already blocked, YaBB shouldn't be registering the attempt as it should have been blocked before reaching YaBB.pl.

So based on your description, .htaccess is being written to but the server isn't using it to block access. And that is a server issue.

IP Logged  
 Reply #102 - Jul 5th, 2013 at 11:20pm

RonS2 
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
I just cleared the ban log, error log, the .htaccess  and cleared the IPs in the Ban Member page and starting fresh to see what happens

IP Logged  
 Reply #103 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 1:01am

RonS2 
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
So far Guardian added about 30 IPs and no doubles so far. I did get a .pre error and it didn't take down the forum.

069880.pre

IP Logged  
 Reply #104 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 1:19am

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Dandello wrote on Jun 9th, 2013 at 5:34pm:
If it turns out I'm right and your spammers are trying to use all number user names and you need to have Encrypt ID turned on, the fix is:

In case any of you missed the first part of this discussion, and as a reference to those of you who are getting errors because of spam-bots that use "all number user names" as Dandello mentions above, as I confirmed here in my post following hers, she's correct about how to take care of this problem.

Just follow her instructions here, and you'll be good to go. Cool

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.