Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dandello's Absence (Read 232 times)
Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Dandello's Absence
Aug 5th, 2013 at 4:11pm
Post Tools
If anyone is wondering where Dandello has got to lately then don't panic, she hasn't done a runner. Her IP address has been accidentally blocked so she is unable to login and respond to PMs or posts.

http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1375716646/0#0

Hopefully one of our admin's will unblock her IP soon.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Dandello's Absence
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:49pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 4:11pm:
... IP address has been accidentally blocked ...

Ironically, Dandello is the one who helped to facilitate my account's full access to this forum when the software automatically blocked my home office IP address because I had evidently used the Preview function in succession too quickly. That's meant to stop spam-bots. But ironically, it can obviously adversely affect forum members.

Hint: Using Live Preview gets around that problem.

As I understood it, JonB responded to an email that Dandello sent him regarding the inadvertent blocking of my home office IP address, so he took care of that for me. I think I may have had my access blocked for about 2 weeks, which is actually not long when you consider "JonB time" because of his heavy work schedule that prevents him from regularly administering this forum ... or so it's been reported even though it now appears that he's abandoned his admin responsibilities altogether.

So until Corey is notified about what's going on, and he gives full admin status to another member (preferably more than one member), this forum is without an admin. Thankfully, however, there are still a handful of YaBB staffers checking in to help those who need it. Even regular members like myself will try to help when we can.

In any case, I used a proxy server to get around the IP address block while I was unable to log in normally. However, it's not an ideal way to use one's membership since javascript issues come up that interfere with YaBB's full capabilities.

I'm looking forward to this forum being updated with a new version of YaBB in the hopefully not too distant future. I'm also looking forward to this forum running as efficiently, and as professionally as Carsten's YaBB Mod Form, and Dandello's YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha forum. Those two forums are very good examples of how a YaBB forum should be operated, and maintained.

A YaBB legend, and a YaBB brainiac; a great combination indeed! Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 8:19pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:49pm:
Ironically, Dandello is the one who helped to facilitate my account's full access to this forum when the software automatically blocked my home office IP address because I had evidently used the Preview function in succession too quickly. That's meant to stop spam-bots. But ironically, it can obviously adversely affect forum members.

The speed-posting time is set ridiculously high on this forum. 'User unfriendly' is an understatement. I have asked for this to be changed on more than a few occasions, but it falls on deaf ears.

Bill Myers wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 7:49pm:
I'm looking forward to this forum being updated with a new version of YaBB in the hopefully not too distant future.

We are very near a release candidate, but how long beta testing will take and bug free it will be depends on how many users are willing to help test. I'm guessing that everyone expects a bug free release but no-one will be bothered to or doesn't want to help test it.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2013 at 8:22pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 8:59pm
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 8:19pm:
I'm guessing that everyone expects a bug free release ...

That is expected. Roll Eyes

As I've been reminded, no new forum release is ever bug free, so that's what really should be expected. It's one of the reasons that I don't typically upgrade right away. I like for the bugs to be as few as possible. I'm still happily using version 2.4 (I didn't upgrade to version 2.5.2).

I don't think it's that important to come out with a new release anytime soon ... not until it's relatively free of bugs. Meanwhile, my recommendation would be to upgrade this forum with your newest version whenever you can so that it can be properly showcased here.

If your version operates like it does over at Dandello's test best forum, then that would be great. You guys are doing a wonderful job, and I'm very grateful for all of the work that you, and the rest of your team are doing.

By the way, I think your common sense decision to have more than one admin for Dandello's test best forum is a very smart way to operate a forum, particularly when it's an open source project. I'm hoping that common sense will be practiced here in this forum once it gets back on its feet in a way that will showcase YaBB well.

Please keep up the great work!  Smiley

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:49pm
Post Tools
Thanks to Bill I found a proxy server so I can at least check what's going on.
But being locked out is getting very old.  Angry

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:50pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 8:59pm:
That is expected.

So, will you be installing and beta testing yourself then?

Bill Myers wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 8:59pm:
By the way, I think your common sense decision to have more than one admin for Dandello's test best forum is a very smart way to operate a forum, particularly when it's an open source project. I'm hoping that common sense will be practiced here in this forum once it gets back on its feet in a way that will showcase YaBB well.

Like Dandello said, it's "on a pragmatic level". I've only got an admin account there for testing purposes, not to actually 'administrate'. That can't really be compared to this forum. Smiley

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:52pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:49pm:
Thanks to Bill I found a proxy server so I can at least check what's going on.

Cool. Smiley

Dandello wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 9:49pm:
But being locked out is getting very old.

Yeah, not cool. Angry

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 11:07pm
Post Tools
I'm happy to see Dandello posting again! Cool

As for beta testing the new version of YaBB, I'm afraid my ignorance regarding the installation process will keep me from doing that; at least until I can figure it all out again.

I really need a How To Install YaBB for Dummies tutorial. Roll Eyes

Not to take away from all that JonB has done to keep this forum operational, because in fact he alone as its admin actually kept it going for a while, but he deserves to take an official break from his duties ... if he so chooses. After all, he's already chosen to take a voluntary break from YaBB. So ...

At some point I'd like to see Dandello as the head admin with others to be backup admins as needed or desired. Derek made a valid distinction about having an admin account "for testing purposes" only, which of course is a very pragmatic thing to do as he pointed out. My suggestion is to more or less mirror that administrative function here in this forum so that he can use his admin privileges to step in as needed or desired by YaBB's head admin.

I'd actually feel better about it if YaBB team members like xnoddyx and others were given admin access as well. For logistical reasons, only the head admin would actually be "on duty" as it were. At the same time, kind of like how YaBB's moderators at some point seemed to take shifts based on where they lived, it could be very helpful for an admin to be on duty when a quick fix was needed.

I hope I'm making some sense here. After all, this is the 7th paragraph in my post. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2013 at 11:15pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 11:07pm:
I hope I'm making some sense here. After all, this is the 7th paragraph in my post.

You're making total sense, Bill. Smiley

It's just a shame that these things even have to be mentioned in the first place.

IP Logged

WestwegoMan
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 2:55am
Post Tools
Derek Barnstorm wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 11:15pm:
It's just a shame that these things even have to be mentioned in the first place.

So true!

Has anyone tried to contact Corey. This has gone on way too long.

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 12:05pm
Post Tools
I don't know. To be honest, apart from having the odd moan here and there, as long as I've got something to work on, can knock out bits of code and can have a bit of a giggle with my small circle of 'YaBB friends' then I'm a happy man in my own little bubble.

I'll leave the politics to others. Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 3:50pm
Post Tools
I just sent Corey an email to what I think is a working address for him. He's always been responsive to me in the past, so hopefully he'll be responsive this time around as well.

Given that JonB has evidently abandoned this forum as its only admin, a responsibility that Corey had evidently delegated to him, I suggested to Corey that he give full admin access to Dandello (I referenced this post in Carsten's forum to explain my reasoning).

Let's hope for the best. Smiley

IP Logged

Derek Barnstorm
Support Team
YaBB Next Team
Development Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2013 at 4:09pm
Post Tools
Thanks for taking the time to do that, Bill. Smiley

I guess we all have our different jobs, and I'm just too wrapped up in the next release right now to worry about anything else. My apologies if it sounded like I was passing the buck or didn't care.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2013 at 4:12pm by Derek Barnstorm »  

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 10:27am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 5th, 2013 at 11:07pm:
I really need a How To Install YaBB for Dummies tutorial.

if you need you can set one up on your host and if you have any probs with it I can go over it and see where you are going wrong with it this will then let you fix it and then retest and do that until you feel comfortable installing it with (Linux 'the main probs are CHMOD) and ascii vs binary'.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 3:14pm
Post Tools
xnoddyx wrote on Aug 10th, 2013 at 10:27am:
... I can go over it and see where you are going wrong with it ...

Thank you very much for your generous offer. I may at some point take you up on it. To be blunt about my abilities, or lack thereof as it seems to be, I haven't tried installing YaBB for a while now. So maybe I'll get it right this next time around.

I've got a really busy day and evening coming up, so I may not be able to check in until sometime on Sunday.

Your great support is to be applauded! YaBB is very fortunate to have your help!Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo