Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Saving YaBB (Read 334 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Saving YaBB
Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2013 at 4:09pm
Post Tools
To YaBB's Development Team, I really appreciate, and applaud all of your hard work. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 6:55pm
Post Tools
So.....

Why isn't YaBB growing?

IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #17 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 7:22pm
Post Tools
I'm creating a PHP fork of YaBB. A new one.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #18 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 8:12pm
Post Tools
Happily enough, at this time YaBB is growing quite nicely in terms of development. However, this is on the heels of this forum having had an absence of online leadership. Both the owner and the admin have abandoned their involvement here, which has obviously been puzzling to many of us.

In any case, in addition to YaBB's ongoing, and active development, YaBB is now growing even more with the creation of your new PHP fork of YaBB. As such, you're providing another way for YaBB to grow even though it's a fork of YaBB versus its actual next version.

Good luck with your work. Wink

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #19 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 8:13pm
Post Tools
Thank you. I hope to follow the WordPress model a new release every 2 months.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #20 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 8:51pm
Post Tools
That's impressive. Maybe you can let us know when you have a release available.

As things are now, if this forum stays in limbo because of its absentee owner, and its absentee admin, even the YaBB Development Team will be locked out, and unable to offer the newest version of YaBB properly through this forum. Subsequently, a serious discussion about how to move forward in a way that's best for YaBB's community at large may be the sensible thing to do.

Thankfully, YaBB is bigger than just this forum, and can move forward without it even though that would be an unfortunate shame. But for future reference, and for obvious reasons, YaBB's official online presence should never again depend on just one person to be its operator. Sensibly, there should be safeguards to ensure YaBB's viability.

I'm still hopeful that this particular issue will be appropriately resolved. Time will tell. Huh

IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #21 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 8:53pm
Post Tools
I would be open for an IRC chat sometime, maybe even go forum to forum soliciting people who want to advance the YaBB community.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #22 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 9:08pm
Post Tools
Out of curiosity, are there reasons you don't want to simply add yourself to the mix of YaBB's current development? It seems that would be a stronger, and more reliable base of operations to move YaBB forward.

But maybe I'm missing something with that logic. Huh

IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #23 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 9:09pm
Post Tools
I want to develop YaBB in a language easily accessible not only to developers but also those looking for hosting. Having to have Perl and proper file permissions and all of that... Too much hassle IMHO.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #24 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 9:18pm
Post Tools
Got it!  Thanks for the clarification.

IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #25 - Aug 12th, 2013 at 9:19pm
Post Tools
No problem. I'm going to begin helping out around the boards here answering support questions and such too as my time allows.

IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #26 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 9:01pm
Post Tools
So with the ownership having abandoned the YaBB project... Where does this leave us?

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #27 - Aug 14th, 2013 at 10:12pm
Post Tools
savior75 wrote on Aug 14th, 2013 at 9:01pm:
So with the ownership having abandoned the YaBB project... Where does this leave us?

I've played with the new Alpha version (2.5.4) of YaBB. Its very impressive.

FWIW - My forum started with YaBB over ten years ago (I think it was YaBB 1 Gold)

savior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 1:49am:
1) So horrible for SEO.

My YaBB forum typically places on the first page and with many search strings its #1

savior75 wrote on Aug 12th, 2013 at 7:22pm:
I'm creating a PHP fork of YaBB. A new one.

I'll be happy to look at a working product. Let me know when its ready.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2013 at 10:13pm by ------ »  

IP Logged

The Boy

Reply #28 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 7:57pm
Post Tools
savior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 3:19pm:
Think I might start a GitHub repo and see where I can get with recreating YaBB in object oriented PHP.

Its called SMF Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo