Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Saving YaBB (Read 292 times)
savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Saving YaBB
Aug 8th, 2013 at 8:50pm
Post Tools
YaBB was one of the first ever threaded message boards. And now it's in last place by a fair distance.

Who wants to create a new YaBB platform, break ties to the past, and make something to be proud of for the next 10 years?

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Saving YaBB
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 10:31pm
Post Tools
I can happily report that YaBB has already been saved, and in fact, a new version of it is in the works at lead developer Dandello's test bed forum.

YaBB legend Carsten has also been including his support, and invaluable help (check out his forum here).

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2013 at 11:33pm
Post Tools
savior75 wrote on Aug 8th, 2013 at 8:50pm:
YaBB was one of the first ever threaded message boards. And now it's in last place by a fair distance.

Who wants to create a new YaBB platform, break ties to the past, and make something to be proud of for the next 10 years?

That is very profound for a first post Smiley

What have you got in mind??????  Cool

IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 1:49am
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Aug 8th, 2013 at 10:31pm:
I can happily report that YaBB has already been saved, and in fact, a new version of it is in the works at lead developer Dandello's test bed forum.

YaBB legend Carsten has also been including his support, and invaluable help (check out his forum here).

Glad to see someone is working on it. I see that for some God awful reason you still have to access it by going to YaBB.pl.

1) So horrible for SEO.

2) Speaking of that .pl extension it's about time to create YaBB in a programming language that makes it easy to find hosting for. It doesn't help that since YaBB is married to supporting flat files (insane in this day and age) that most hosts block it.

Quote:
savior75 wrote on Aug 8th, 2013 at 8:50pm:

That is very profound for a first post Smiley

What have you got in mind??????  Cool

I want to create a new platform for the future. Was just wondering if the idiotic support for the old ways was still there holding YaBB's head under water. And the post above proves that it still is.

No offense is meant to anyone. I just hate to see software I used to love going nowhere.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 3:05am
Post Tools
It's good to have your input, savior75. Cool

I can't speak for Derek Bullock, but I'm pretty sure his intention was to be enthusiastic about your input. He's been a valuable asset to YaBB, and he's a very experienced admin.

Regarding that a pl extension is horrible for SEO, I can happily confirm that extensions evidently don't matter. I've been operating a YaBB forum since 2002, and it's always been at the top of search engines with the search terms of our choice.

Considering how you feel about the use of a pl extension, I think YaBB is actually going in another direction with that at some point. Even the flat file system I think will be phased out at some point as well. As such, you might enjoy reading through the posts of Dandello's test bed. I've been learning a lot over there, and I'm excited with what they're doing.

One step at a time in the right direction is what will matter.  Wink

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Derek Bullock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 5:10am
Post Tools
savior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 1:49am:
I want to create a new platform for the future. Was just wondering if the idiotic support for the old ways was still there holding YaBB's head under water. And the post above proves that it still is.

How wrong you are Smiley

I am very open to anything and it was a question to you, "What have you got in mind?" 

My host does not understand YaBB and considering it has been around for over a decade and was one of the leading bulletin boards in it's time that is appalling.

IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 2:05pm
Post Tools
Derek, my response about "idiotic support for the old ways" was directed at Bill, not you.

Bill: I didn't say the extension was horrible for SEO. Having the "index" file be "YaBB" instead of "index" is. Not to mention the hosting issues that come about as soon as a host sees "YaBB.pl"

Derek, what I have in mind is breaking away from 2000-2010 YaBB and focusing on what the future is going to hold. Even if what is being considered the "next version" of YaBB comes about what is past that? It's only taken several years to get to what you have there and it's still behind from a functionality, user interface, and platform perspective.

It's time for PHP and MySQL first of all. And then a new platform.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 2:39pm
Post Tools
All I can tsavior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
... "idiotic support for the old ways" was directed at Bill, not you.

Uh, oh. Cheesy

All I can tell you is that when I've made attempts to give support, and solutions come about because of it, people are happy for it. As such, it doesn't really matter how support is given as long as there are good results from it. I certainly welcome everyone's support. Even when there's no solution to a given problem, I'm grateful when well intentioned support is offered.

I'm even grateful for own your input even though it can obviously be vitriolic, and downright mean. I'm guessing you don't mean to come across that way. I'll presume you have good intentions. After all, you did clarify your vitriol by typing, "No offense is meant to anyone."

As for anyone else who may not be aware of if, savior75's otherwise good points have already been addressed, which can be read here regarding YaBB's "roadmaps" plan.

That brings to mind the following Salvador Dali quotation:

Quote:
Have no fear of perfection--you'll never reach it.

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2013 at 2:49pm by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 2:43pm
Post Tools
I meant no offense to anything you do to support the community! I meant the support of old ways - Perl, flat files, YaBB.pl as the filename, things of that nature.

As far as the road maps in 3 months they will be a year old. Nothing has come from them. Will it be another 3 years before we see anything executed?

The simple fact that "sub boards" and "modular css" are features listed should be all of the red flags you need. Those should be STANDARD in a message board 5 years ago!
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2013 at 2:44pm by savior75 »  

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 3:07pm
Post Tools
Thanks for the clarification about not meaning to offend. And by the way, I pretty much agree with everything you're stating about YaBB.

The irony about your input here is that you sound so much like how I've addressed these issues ... for years! And because of my harsh criticism, I know I came across as pretty vitriolic myself, which was never my intention.

Sadly for me, one of the people I most respected began calling me a troll because I was doing what you're doing ... giving valid criticism to hopefully help get YaBB back on track to where it used to be ... the most popular forum software available. Had they been in charge of this forum at the time, I would have been banned for being so outspoken / for being a troll.

Note: I never was a troll even though in retrospect I was certainly troll-like when I posted. But again; not my intention!

Thankfully, however, people who supported my good intentions came to my aid, and helped me to improve the way I posted. As for that person whom I respected, and whom I disappointed? We once again get along just fine. Obviously, my better online behavior helped to solve that problem, which in the end was my own problem to have solved.

Whoops! I practically missed the following:

savior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
Bill: I didn't say the extension was horrible for SEO. Having the "index" file be "YaBB" instead of "index" is. Not to mention the hosting issues that come about as soon as a host sees "YaBB.pl"

Thanks for the clarification. In theory you're correct. But in actual practice, using YaBB.pl for a forum's index file doesn't adversely affect SEO. Otherwise, forums like mine wouldn't continue to be at the top of search engine results.

Despite this fact, webmasters can easily opt out of using YaBB.pl for the index file of their forum. They can either pay for that option, or they can simply place their forum within an iFrame for free. I've been doing that for a few different sites for years, a couple of which our company owns.

In any case, your point about it is well taken, and again, I think future versions of YaBB will address it like you're hoping they will.

Bottom line: Even now YaBB is a great forum. Search engines find them quite easily. Cool

IP Logged

savior75
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 3:19pm
Post Tools
Think I might start a GitHub repo and see where I can get with recreating YaBB in object oriented PHP.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2013 at 4:41pm
Post Tools
savior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 3:19pm:
... a GitHub repo ...

Currently, it seems that there are 27 repository results at GitHub for YaBB. I guess you could be the 28th unless you joined another. I'd recommend helping out, or at least testing YaBB's newest version (at Dandello's site). With your good intentions to improve YaBB, you might be able to help. Maybe you can be added to its development team.

What I found comforting was that a copy of YaBB's most recent stable version of 2.5.2 has evidently been archived at GitHub (even though I'm still using version 2.4). I did not know this, and had wondered if any YaBB archives were available since this forum has been effectively abandoned.

I do know of at least one other person who is reportedly archiving YaBB for its community at large in the event this forum suddenly disappears. Additionally, I'm hoping Dandello's efforts are being mirrored with her own archive just in case YaBB's files are ever needed for downloading. I'm guessing she's effectively done this here at sourceforge.

All that I've mentioned above is way beyond my capabilities to fully comprehend. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

WestwegoMan
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 8:37am
Post Tools
I think we can all agree that MySQL is needed. The part that I cannot agree on is the YaBB.pl part. My forum was at the top of the list in most searches, depending on keywords used, 1st place most times. I don't agree that it would need to be, say "index.pl".

As for the flat file, I know of a few nice size YaBB forums, including Bill's that do just fine as far as performance and SEO.

Now, as for the road map... Who cares if its been 3 years or 10 years. How can you pop in and bark around about how it's been this long or that long. You don't think that dog hasn't been exhausted. Believe me, we have beat that dog to death in this forum. Do a bit of searching and you will see.

I guess my point is, have patience, young grasshopper. Rome wasn't built in a day. There are several people involved in rolling out the next version of YaBB who have been hard at work making sure it has the quality that is expected. Sometime down the road I'm sure all the things that you have moaned about will be covered and we can all be happy campers.

Ok. I've vented enough. Class dismissed!

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 9:20am
Post Tools
to savior75 No offense is meant to you just being as direct back to you as you are being direct.

ok point 1
you say savior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
Bill: I didn't say the extension was horrible for SEO.

but here you have
savior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 1:49am:
I see that for some God awful reason you still have to access it by going to YaBB.pl. 1) So horrible for SEO.

so you did say the extension was horrible for SEO.

as to savior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 1:49am:
2) Speaking of that .pl extension it's about time to create YaBB in a programming language that makes it easy to find hosting for. It doesn't help that since YaBB is married to supporting flat files (insane in this day and age) that most hosts block it.

you will find that there is not any real problem with the perl programming language.
in fact there are more advantages using it than php what you may not know is that even though some sites don't show it up front they run the front and backend on perl the first one off the top of my head is paypal the next is ebay but won't list more as they are simple to find.

if you are looking for a php version of yabb then you will find that over at 'yabb se, smf'.

you also say savior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
Derek, what I have in mind is breaking away from 2000-2010 YaBB and focusing on what the future is going to hold.

you seem to be a bit out of date with that as July 05, 2010 was the Release Date for YaBB 2.5AE we now have October 21, 2012 Release Date for YaBB 2.5.2.

and we are working our way to a MySQL system also to savior75 wrote on Aug 9th, 2013 at 1:49am:
It doesn't help that since YaBB is married to supporting flat files (insane in this day and age) that most hosts block it.

where did you get your information from? as with all hosts I have seen not one of them block it what I have seen though you will get cheap hosting that will not support perl but at the same time most of them will also not support php for anything but html showing so any php scripts will also not run and that is also the same for mysql database system and some of the cheap hosting that has mysql use a mysql to flat file driver this is just your mysql database stored as flat files in your hosting root so that MySQL system runs as a flat file system but have not seen meany with it.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2013 at 7:22pm
Post Tools
YaBB 2.5.4 and 2.5.2 are both in the SVN at SourceForge - that's the 'official' versions we're working with as YaBB has used it for quite some time. I have multiple backup copies of the latest 2.5.4 build and so a final zip can and will be available from multiple places when we're ready.

We're always on the lookout for more coders and testers.  Smiley  You never know which tester will turn on a function we've forgotten about and find something that's slipped by on multiple versions.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo