Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Global and Server Settings (Read 891 times)
jc2823
YaBB Newcomer

Global and Server Settings
Aug 20th, 2013 at 2:45pm
Post Tools
I am having crash issues (typically in the morning hours) due to what appears to be spamming attempts.  The error log shows I am getting multiple attempts per minute.  This fades in the afternoon and evening hours where the site acts normal!  I thinking I could attempt to stop this on the server side but I am not able to save the offending IP addresses in the Guardian - Global and Server setting areas.  When I add an IP and click save, the text box is cleared and remains empty. 

Any ideas on the saving issue?

Am I off base in hoping this may help with my issues? 

Thanks!

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: Global and Server Settings
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2013 at 3:28pm
Post Tools
While I don't know what's going on with the saving issue you're having in the Security Center of your Admin Center, I do know that you can easily ban IP addresses by going to Member Controls, and then to Ban Members (based on YaBB 2.4).

However, I think this is a waste of time to ban IP addresses, which I no longer need to do in our forum except on an occasional temporary basis. As of this post, I have no IP addresses banned; none.

Keep in mind that our forum gets hit with spam-bots very heavily. Today so far as I post this, there's an average of 500 attempts every 4 hours. But on a good server, that shouldn't matter.

My recommendation is to install ggn's anti-spam CAPTCHA hack, which has been written as a mod for YaBB's next version. You can see it at work by going to the General Board of Dandello's YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha test bed forum (near the bottom).

Good luck with your forum, and have fun using it. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Global and Server Settings
Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 11:49pm
Post Tools
In order for Guardian to work you have to enable it to save things to the .htaccess file. YaBB also needs to be able to write to the .htaccess file. I suspect one or the other (or both) is not enabled.

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top