Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Locked out of my forums (Read 658 times)
S.P.Robinson
YaBB Newcomer

None
Locked out of my forums
Sep 18th, 2013 at 2:34am
Post Tools
I suddenly find myself "logged out" and unable to log in to my forums. Although I am the owner, admin and moderator, it does not recognize my user name or email address as valid.

Nothing else seems disturbed, it's not as though someone else took over, just that I'm locked out.

Is this a simple matter of replacing an admin file of some kind?

Thanks.

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Locked out of my forums
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 10:32am
Post Tools
if you can ftp into your forum and look for cgi-bin\yabb2\Members\admin.vars if it is there then look to see if the size is 0KB if it is check that you have hdd space on your host and then upload a copy from a backup if you don't have that then goto YaBB Archived Downloads and download your forum version and upload the admin.vars from there.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2013 at 3:33pm
Post Tools
After you become active again, my recommendation is to create a 2nd admin account with full access for yourself so that you can have an alternative way to access your forum to perform maintenance. Maybe even have a 3rd admin account as well.

If you do this, it's good to access that backup admin account(s) every once in a while to make sure that everything is still working as it should.

Another recommendation is to create additional accounts for yourself as a moderator, and as a regular member so that you can know firsthand what others experience while enjoying your forum.

Obviously, it's also good to keep local backups of your forum so that you can access files as needed. It's generally a good practice to keep at least one additional backup of your forum just in case any file in your primary backup is corrupted. I always have at least a half dozen local backups as I rotate them in the order they've been backed up even though I don't ever remember having had a need to access any backups beyond a 2nd generation.

Have fun with your YaBB forum! Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

S.P.Robinson
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 2:51am
Post Tools
Worked!

Many thanks!

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 11:08am
Post Tools
glad to have been of assistance to you and that you are back up and running.  Smiley

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top