YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Need help please! Need to move YaBB1 Gold SP 1.3.1 forum to Linux (Read 511 times)
 Sep 18th, 2013 at 9:42pm
There are no actions to perform.  

Leopardladyo 
YaBB Newbie

YaBB 1 Gold
Need help please! Need to move YaBB1 Gold SP 1.3.1 forum to Linux
Hi! I've got a very old version YaBB forum that's been hosted for many years by OLI (they are awesome!). But it's time to move forward, and here's where I need some help:

1. I want to move my forum to the same server where my main website is located instead of having it hosted separately. My main website host is Bluehost.com; I've talked with them and they use Linux servers and my primary website is on an Apache 5.2 server. OLI says that this migration should be possible; both OLI and Bluehost.com have a cPanel.

2. If we can get this part done, it would mean moving my old forum into a folder in my primary website files, right? How would people find the forum - it would have to have a new URL, right? Is there any way to use a "pointer" type of process which would automatically re-direct people from the old OLI based URL to the new URL?

3. The version of YaBB that I currently have requires the admin to manually approve people before they can even see any posts. OLI mentioned that there's an upgrade to deal with the spam-bots which requires a simple question/answer from the new user ... much better! How do I make that change in my forum ... or, better put ... what are the upgrades available to my forum (YaBB1 Gold SP 1.3.1)?

4. What is the danger of losing all the data when doing this sort of migration?

5. Would I also need to download into my Bluehost.com cPanel (and/or into the same folder where the forum is moved) the YaBB software itself? If so, do I do that from this yabbforum.com website, and which version?

I guess I can't provide any URL's until I've posted more here, but would be glad to provide the current location of my existing forum, as well as my primary website.

Please, any comments, technical tips, information, support and help are MUCH needed and will be MOST appreciated! Thank you!

IP Logged  
 Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 11:06am

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK:Scotland/livingston

YaBB 2.5
Re: Need help please! Need to move YaBB1 Gold SP 1.3.1 forum to Linux
Hi Leopardladyo

to 1.
Yes you can move your forum all you need is the new host to be running is Perl

to 2.
this depends on how your host has Perl setup some hosting will have a cgi-bin dir that you will need to put the YaBB forum into.

Leopardladyo wrote on Sep 18th, 2013 at 9:42pm:
it would have to have a new URL, right?

this depends on if you will be keeping your old url for the forum or if you will be wanting to ues the website url and if it is a full move if you want search engines sense the move then you will need to setup a 301 redirect to the new url

and this is the best time to update your forum to 2.5.2 here is a video For Installing YaBB 2.4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ic0PTG3dhc&list=TLUR1HoTK4oZ4

and here is the video For Installing YaBB 2.5.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuT6FDHqoWE&list=TL27lbbTmp4Pk

as you see it is almost the same.

also if you need more help with the move and the update then you can email me and I will see what I can do for you.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 9:00pm

Leopardladyo 
YaBB Newbie

YaBB 1 Gold
Thank you so much for your help! Having my forum hosted separately all these years means I've not had any "hands-on" with the YaBB files themselves, install issues, etc. I've only done the admin functions, so am clueless about that side of things,  plus my forum is such an old version.

I'm not clear about several things. Would I be able to move the forum first, THEN update it? (I don't think the current host does any updating.) The host where I want to move the forum to uses a cPanel, and in their stats I see a "Path to Perl" listed as:  /usr/bin/perl . Would this be the place where all the files are moved? In doing it this way (moving or "migrating" the existing forum as is first, then updating), would the update automatically encompass all the original forum files (in other words, without loss of old posts, data, etc.)? Are you suggesting that my YaBB1 Gold SP 1.3.1 forum should be updated twice ... first to 2.4, then to 2.5.2? I'm a bit confused about that.

The existing host said they would "migrate" my forum to the other server for a fee, but can't guarantee it would work. Since they only host my forum and I don't have a cPanel access with them, does this mean that I can't access my existing forum files (in other words, that the existing host techs would be the only ones to be able to migrate my existing forum files)?

The new host (where I have cPanel access and who host my primary website which is where I want to move my forum) said they don't "migrate" files, but could help with the installation on their end ... the right server, site, folder, etc.

Could you explain what a 301 redirect is?  Can anyone do that, or would I have to have permission from the current host?  Yes, I'll need to have a new URL, but my forum has been online so long with the current host and their URL that this will need to be addressed "behind the scenes".  Is a 301 redirect different from a "pointer"?

I did take a look at the videos and they are excellent!  I believe they're over my head, however. Again, thank you ... when you have time, perhaps you could answer whatever is appropriate here, which would help me figure out the order of what needs to be done, and what I might be able to do (with your help!) plus what the existing host needs to do in this circumstance (if anything)?

I'm so appreciative of your guidance, and will take this privately to email anytime you wish. Let me know if it would be helpful for me to email you the URL's of my forum and my primary website.

IP Logged  
 Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2013 at 11:37pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Leopardladyo wrote on Sep 19th, 2013 at 9:00pm:
Would I be able to move the forum first, THEN update it?

yes you can but this depends on what version of Perl the host that you are moving to is running if it is a newer version of Perl then your forum may need to be updated before it will run on the new host.

(I don't think the current host does any updating.)

most hosts wont update your forum this is up to you to do and if you need the help I can do this for you.

The host where I want to move the forum to uses a cPanel, and in their stats I see a "Path to Perl" listed as:  /usr/bin/perl . Would this be the place where all the files are moved?

no this is where the program is that will run your forum this is on part of the server that you can't get to it is a bit like the ram or cpu you can use it and that is about as far as it will go the place where all the files are moved is upto how the host has the server setup some hosts will let you run Perl scripts from any dir/folder on your website but some are strict about it and will only let them run from the cgi-bin dir/folder this may give you more info http://www.yabbforum.com/codex/YaBB.pl?num=1190674425

would the update automatically encompass all the original forum files

no it will only update the forum.

(in other words, without loss of old posts, data, etc.)

with the update you will have all the old posts, data, etc but you will also have new items like forum backup from the admin center.

Are you suggesting that my YaBB1 Gold SP 1.3.1 forum should be updated twice ... first to 2.4, then to 2.5.2? I'm a bit confused about that.

no I was showing you them so that you can see the process of installing the new forum ready for the updating the old forum and that installing is not different than the older YaBB versions and you can download YaBB 2.5.2 from here http://sourceforge.net/code-snapshots/svn/y/ya/yabb/svn/yabb-svn-1306-branches-2... as this is the most updated version with all the fixes for it.

The existing host said they would "migrate" my forum to the other server for a fee, but can't guarantee it would work. Since they only host my forum and I don't have a cPanel access with them,

do you have ftp access to your forum?

does this mean that I can't access my existing forum files (in other words, that the existing host techs would be the only ones to be able to migrate my existing forum files)?

only if you don't have ftp access to your forum what you can do is ask your host if they can zip up your website for you and send you a link where you can download the zip from if they are nice they will do this for you if they are not so nice and will only offer you a migrate then if you if you choose to go with this as you have no other option is to ask them how much the fee is also to add to this any work I do here for you the fee for this is free and in my honest opinion your host should also let you have a copy of your hosting that is running your forum for free if they don't offer you ftp access also in my honest opinion this will be the first host I have seen that don't give ftp access.

The new host (where I have cPanel access and who host my primary website which is where I want to move my forum) said they don't "migrate" files, but could help with the installation on their end ... the right server, site, folder, etc.

if I can get ftp access to your old host and also to your new host I can move the files for you and do what is needed to get the forum back online for you excluding any items that the host needs to do.

Could you explain what a 301 redirect is?  Can anyone do that,

have a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_301 and here https://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/242/How+do+I+redirect+my+site+using+a+.htac... this will explain what a 301 redirect is.

I did take a look at the videos and they are excellent!  I believe they're over my head, however. Again, thank you ... when you have time, perhaps you could answer whatever is appropriate here, which would help me figure out the order of what needs to be done, and what I might be able to do (with your help!) plus what the existing host needs to do in this circumstance (if anything)?

I'm so appreciative of your guidance, and will take this privately to email anytime you wish. Let me know if it would be helpful for me to email you the URL's of my forum and my primary website.  

all I need from you is to ask your old host if you have or if you can get ftp access to your files on there server if you can then can you email me that info and I will start to copy your forum off that host for you and I will also make a backup of that for you then we can go from there with the new host if you need any more info just ask.  Smiley

YaBB install help video
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2013 at 11:02pm

Leopardladyo 
YaBB Newbie

YaBB 1 Gold
Thank you so much. Just wanted you to know I'm following up on this. I have a request in to current host (OLI) as to whether they will supply me with a zipped version and download link of my existing forum OR FTP access to those files. We'll see what they say on that.

I've also talked with the support folks (BH) who host my primary website (where I want the forum moved to). They are running the Perl version 5.10.1, and I have the FTP info for my account (plus I created a special FTP account just for you, as well as a call-in PIN and password, giving you permission to speak with their techs on my behalf if needed).  

These BH techs told me that a true 301 re-direct would need to be done from the current host's (OLI) end ... I'm not sure if they would do that. They (BH) didn't seem overly knowledgable about the different file types of a search-engine friendly re-direct, so not sure how this will play out. In doing a look-up of my current forum, the BH techs told me that even though OLI hosts it, it is on Go-Daddy servers, just an FYI if this helps you.

Will let you know when I hear back on accessing my forum files from OLI ... again, thank you so much!

IP Logged  
 Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2013 at 7:51pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Leopardladyo wrote on Sep 22nd, 2013 at 11:02pm:
Thank you so much. Just wanted you to know I'm following up on this. I have a request in to current host (OLI) as to whether they will supply me with a zipped version and download link of my existing forum OR FTP access to those files. We'll see what they say on that.

ok from the http://www.chat24.oli.us/ this takes me to http://www.onlineinstitute.com/ and on this page it has for OLI Hosting Secure Access (FTPS, SSL, SFTP) so from that info there is ftp Access for your forum.

I've also talked with the support folks (BH) who host my primary website (where I want the forum moved to). They are running the Perl version 5.10.1, and I have the FTP info for my account (plus I created a special FTP account just for you, as well as a call-in PIN and password, giving you permission to speak with their techs on my behalf if needed).  

ok cool and good ok if you can pm me or email me that ftp login info I will get the new forum setup for you and this will help speed up the update from 1.3.1 for you.

These BH techs told me that a true 301 re-direct would need to be done from the current host's (OLI) end

this is correct if they are both the url dns host and the website host for the forum
but there is just a bit too much info for this to post it here just now and things can get quite complicated so best keep it to trying to get your forum moved then talk about that.

Will let you know when I hear back on accessing my forum files from OLI ... again, thank you so much!

ok cool.   Smiley

YaBB install help video
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.