Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Link to my forum problems (Read 1,014 times)
------
Beta Testers

Link to my forum problems
Nov 8th, 2013 at 3:04pm
Post Tools
If you click on the link below

http://www.woodturnersresource.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

you get this message

Quote:
Access to the forum from the current url is prohibited!

I'm thinking I might have a setting activated that prevents links form other forums to go to my site.  I search around the Guardian and the Referrer Security settings and I'm not sure which setting I need to deactivate

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Re: Link to my forum problems
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 3:51pm
Post Tools
I couldn't get in from your home page in the same domain. (I'm getting a Server 403 error which means it's in .htaccess and there's more than one problem.)

BUT the error you've listed comes from Guardian - the referrer blocking section. Turn that off. I'm guessing there's a bad or partial referrer string in the .htaccess and possibly a wild card IP block hiding in there.

(Actually, what I'm suggesting is save your old .htaccess file and clean out your current one to get things working again. You may need to do this manually.)

Edited:
Okay - what I think has happened: Referrer blocking was turned on in Guardian along with 'ban offending IP addresses' in the same section. So anyone trying to get to your forum from a banned referrer gets their IP banned. And I'm still betting there's a bad url or a wild card in the banned referrer section. So the problem is cascading. Turn off Referrer blocking and clean out your .htaccess file.

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2013 at 4:08pm by Dandello »  

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 4:21pm
Post Tools
Once again D, thanks for your help

I checked this problem with a few different forums and it not just here, So I'm sure its my fault.

Since I can get to my home page from here I'm guessing that the file in question would be  cgi-bin/yabb/.htaccess. I just cleared that and the problem still exists.

In the Guardian I have the box checked that reads " Activate referer blocking?". In the box below that there are a list of referrers that are blacklisted. I unchecked the box and now I can get in. Then I the checked the box again and now I can block referers and still can get in. Weird

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 4:33pm
Post Tools
Make sure you have the 'block offending IP addresses' unchecked.

BTW, my IP is still banned so you'll need to clear out the banned IP list as well. (Since spammers change IP addresses like most people change their underwear, you should clear the IP list out from .htaccess periodically so you're not accidentally blocking legitimate users.)

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 4:52pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 4:33pm:
BTW, my IP is still banned so you'll need to clear out the banned IP list as well.

Interesting, the Guardian added 200 IP addresses since I reported that I cleared the htaccess.  I'll check back on this a little later in the day to see if this fills up again.

Dandello wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 4:33pm:
you should clear the IP list out from .htaccess periodically

I do at the beginning of every month.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 5:21pm
Post Tools
I'm now able to get in via the link.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 5:40pm
Post Tools
For anyone else having this kind of a problem, particularly when it consistently happens, you may be limiting access to your forum in ways that are simply too restrictive.

Thankfully, especially over the last couple of years, YaBB forums can be modified with effective anti-spam tools that can eliminate the need to restrict access as much as some admins are fond of doing.

So free yourselves from the headaches of being too restrictive with your forums, and relax with the fact that YaBB can very easily keep spam-bots out. As other admins have done with happy results, feel free to contact me about easy solutions to stop spam-bots cold.

After you allow Yabb to defeat spam-bots once and for all, you can enjoy a problem free forum. Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 6:07pm
Post Tools
Get over yourself Bill, this had nothing to do with being too restrictive.

The problem was fixed by
------ wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 4:21pm:
In the Guardian I have the box checked that reads " Activate referer blocking?". In the box below that there are a list of referrers that are blacklisted. I unchecked the box and now I can get in. Then I the checked the box again and now I can block referers and still can get in. Weird

IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 6:07pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 5:21pm:
I'm now able to get in via the link.  Smiley

Thanks again for you help D

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 6:36pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 6:07pm:
Get over yourself Bill, this had nothing to do with being too restrictive.

I'm sorry that continuing problems with your forum causes you to lash out at me. I hope you'll stop having all of the problems that you keep having because I know that can get very frustrating.

In any case, my previous post was directed towards others in case they may be implementing unnecessary restrictions to their forums.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

------
Beta Testers

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:58pm
Post Tools
Bill Myers wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 6:36pm:
In any case, my previous post was directed towards others in case they may be implementing unnecessary restrictions to their forums.

But had nothing to do with the problem at hand

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 8:03pm
Post Tools
------ wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:58pm:
But had nothing to do with the problem at hand

Thank you for the clarification.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top