Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Editing the post date (Read 959 times)
Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Re: Editing the post date
Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2013 at 3:38am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Nov 9th, 2013 at 11:40pm:
... hand editing the time stamps isn't something you want to do without a really good reason.

I agree, and I'll even go one step further. I'm of the mindset that there isn't a single good reason to hand edit a time stamp. In my personal opinion, that would be like hand editing another person's quote. But as long as there isn't anything nefarious about it, I say to each their own.

On a related note, I noticed on Facebook that an edit history is made when an edit is completed. So if I was to edit one of my posts, it will still show what I had originally posted as well as my newer/corrected version of it.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 11:40pm
Post Tools
Thanks, Bill for giving such a good explanation of the process. (I hadn't had time to test anything much today - but I know that hand editing the time stamps isn't something you want to do without a really good reason.)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 10:08pm
Post Tools
I never really thought about it, and it kind of surprised me, but I guess it makes sense. I too found it interesting.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

RonS2
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5.2
Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 9:50pm
Post Tools
Interesting, the file's name is the same as the Epoch timestamp from when it was created.
I've always wondered how the names were generated.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 9:00pm
Post Tools
Sagine wrote on Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:28pm:
Is it possible to edit the post/thread dates?

Yes it is. Smiley

I figured out how to do this in a YaBB 2.4 forum, and then I tested it to make sure.

After you transfer/post a news article into your forum, it will of course show the date that you made the post. You can change the date to original date as follows:

1. Open up that post by clicking the feature.

2. Make note of the number of the linked text, which as a real example in the 1st post of this topic is link=1383938909.

3. In the real example shown in step 2 above, you would then download from your Messages folder the associated 1383938909.txt file.

4. Open 1383938909.txt with a text editor, and look for the date attribute, which coincidentally in this real example is date=1383938909.

5. Change 1383938909 to the date and time of your choice. As a real example, if you were to change 1383938909 to 1368229833, the date and time would show as "Friday, May 10, 2013 4:50:33 PM".

6. Upload the edited 1383938909.txt file back onto your server, and the date you chose will be shown.

By the way, thank you very much for providing the link to Epoch Converter. Cool

IP Logged

Sagine
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 6:04pm
Post Tools
haha well I did everything you said above including changing the file name and still the date wouldn't change. It's not the end of the world, I'll just have to leave the existing posts where they are.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 4:42pm
Post Tools
lastpostdate in the .ctb file AND the 5th field in the Boards/*.txt file that controls the board the thread is in. Also, you may find you have to change the file name for the message AND the name of the .ctb file to match the new post time and change the 1st field in the Boards/*.txt to match.

Then you'll need to run Message maintenance.

And since there are no guarantees - back up your boards and messages before doing anything to them.

IP Logged

Sagine
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 3:43pm
Post Tools
Thank you that did answer my question. Epoch seconds is what I didn't know about. I'm quite happy to edit the .ctb, I can use a site such as http://www.epochconverter.com/?TimeStamp=1383484395 to get the correct date. Is 'lastpostdate' the correct variable to edit? Thanks.

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 2:20pm
Post Tools
You can't edit post dates without editing (by hand) the item's .ctb file and the info file for the board it's in - back-dating the post datetime using Epoch seconds which is how the posting datetimes are stored.

My personal suggestion - put an 'Originally posted' line at the top of the new post with the original date and location.

If you go to Carsten's Board (http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl and ask very sweetly, he might write a mod for you to do back-dating.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2013 at 2:21pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

Sagine
YaBB Newcomer

None
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2013 at 11:13am
Post Tools
No. I'm creating new articles from from a list on a web page.

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.4
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:59pm
Post Tools
If you're transferring old news articles within the same forum, you can simply move those articles where you want them, and the post dates should remain the same.

Or are you posting from one forum to another?

IP Logged

Sagine
YaBB Newcomer

None
Editing the post date
Nov 8th, 2013 at 7:28pm
Post Tools
Hi

Is it possible to edit the post/thread dates? I want to transfer some old news articles but want the date to be when they where posted originally, not when they where posted on the forum.

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top