Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My Forum not working after Server Migration (Read 1,180 times)
xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: My Forum not working after Server Migration
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 2:39pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Nov 20th, 2013 at 12:26am:
Just to let every body know - Ramjet's host found the issue and took care of it.  Smiley

ok cool  Smiley

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 12:26am
Post Tools
Just to let every body know - Ramjet's host found the issue and took care of it.  Smiley

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 2:55pm
Post Tools
Other Perl scripts are broken as well? In that case, something is royally messed up on the server and I have no idea what it is. (My working testbed server runs Apache on Windows with ActiveState Perl 5.16 and I can't even begin to guess how to reproduce the problem you're having.)

All I can suggest is find a temporary Perl/YaBB friendly host until they get their issues handled since it's pretty obvious it's not actually a YaBB software problem.

If you could get 2.5.2 Setup to run, 2.5.2 does have some IIS specific code to deal with certain IIS issues. But I don't think that's your problem.

On your other scripts - things that ran fine under Perl 5.10 should (for the most part) run fine under 5.16 - the server error logs should tell you what errors they're throwing in the event there's some deprecated code in them that needs taking care of.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2013 at 3:01pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

ramjet
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2013 at 8:10am
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Nov 18th, 2013 at 10:09pm:
Actually, 2.4 should work under 5.16 - it'll throw some non-fatal warnings to the server error log, but it should work.

What I saw when I went to the address you gave:
TabMenu.pl is (probably) working, BoardIndex.pl is working, MessageIndex.pl is working.  (Obviously YaBB.pl is working otherwise nothing would go to the browser at all.)

What may not be working properly is Subs.pl, possibly parts of Load.pl and Security.pl - Things that should only concatenate once are being repeated (like the output of TabMenu.pl and several lines in the template subroutine in Subs.pl

So before installing 2.5.2, upload good copies of the 2.4 versions of the files in Sources and Templates/default - making sure the permissions are right and the upload is in ASCII.

What I'm also seeing is the folder names are different - the link to the forum in www.milairpix goes to http://www.milairpix.com/CGI-BIN/YaBBnew/YaBB.pl but the internal YaBB links go to http://www.milairpix.com/cgi-bin/yabbnew/YaBB.pl

Assuming this is on a *nix server, *nix is case sensitive. (Of course that doesn't solve the immediate problem of something being messed up.)

Hello Dandello, my YaBB Forum is hosted on a Windows server so it's not case sensitive.
Everything on this new server has been upgraded to the latest versions, perl, windows, memory etc.
Before the migration everything worked.
My hosting company have copied the files over twice from my old cgi-bin on the old server but I'm still getting the same problems.
I'll copy over the files you suggest and get back to you with the results.
As an aside, I use a number of perl scripts on my website for user interaction and they all appear to be broken!  Angry (They all worked before the migration too!)

Regards, Roger

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 10:09pm
Post Tools
Actually, 2.4 should work under 5.16 - it'll throw some non-fatal warnings to the server error log, but it should work.

What I saw when I went to the address you gave:
TabMenu.pl is (probably) working, BoardIndex.pl is working, MessageIndex.pl is working.  (Obviously YaBB.pl is working otherwise nothing would go to the browser at all.)

What may not be working properly is Subs.pl, possibly parts of Load.pl and Security.pl - Things that should only concatenate once are being repeated (like the output of TabMenu.pl and several lines in the template subroutine in Subs.pl

So before installing 2.5.2, upload good copies of the 2.4 versions of the files in Sources and Templates/default - making sure the permissions are right and the upload is in ASCII.

What I'm also seeing is the folder names are different - the link to the forum in www.milairpix goes to http://www.milairpix.com/CGI-BIN/YaBBnew/YaBB.pl but the internal YaBB links go to http://www.milairpix.com/cgi-bin/yabbnew/YaBB.pl

Assuming this is on a *nix server, *nix is case sensitive. (Of course that doesn't solve the immediate problem of something being messed up.)

IP Logged

ramjet
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 8:54pm
Post Tools
Hello Dandello, thanks for the reply.
So will 2.5.2 run under this new Perl version?
Is there anything I can try?

[Maintenance mode is now working on the old Forum by the way!]

Cheers, Roger

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:25pm
Post Tools
Oops - 5.10 to 5.16. I'm 99% sure that's the key to your problem. In fact, I'm a little surprised it's rendering anything to the screen as I'm pretty sure there's some deprecated code in 2.4.

Let me check and make sure the 2.5.2 setup loads properly under 5.16 (I have a version on my home testbed) but failure to send data from the script does indicate a permission issue.

Edited:
Update: 2.5.2 should run fine under Perl 5.16 (our previous tests had been with Perl 5.14). But the fact that Setup.pl won't load or run indicates either a permissions or ownership problem on the server. (Or it was uploaded as binary.) xnodyxx is better that I am with server issues - you should probably drop him a PM.

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2013 at 7:37pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

ramjet
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:29pm
Post Tools
I've just received the following from my hosting company - Quote:
Old server was running Perl v5.10.1 where the new server has Perl v5.16.3. Unfortunately as its the new server and we have updated all softwares/packages on it, we cannot downgrade Perl on it. You may need to perform upgrade to make the forum compatible with new Perl versions. if you want, I can bring the site up on old server for you so that you can perform upgrade there and then I will copy the upgraded forums version to new server. You can check with the YABB support if this is applicable

Would this work or would I still get the same problems with 2.5.2?

Can't work out why I can't run setup.pl for 2.5.2 on this new server??

Cheers, Roger

IP Logged

ramjet
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 6:06pm
Post Tools
Thanks Dandello.
Fortunately I backed my Forum up about 3 days ago!
I've changed settings.pl to put my Forum into Maintenance Mode but thats made no difference at all.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to upgrade to the latest version of Yabb but I can't run setup.pl, I just get the following error - "Script failed to send data."
They've definitely done something to Perl!

Any ideas??

Cheers, Roger

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.0
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:47pm
Post Tools
A Permissions problem would cause it to throw 500 errors - so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

Did they, perchance, also update the Perl version or change it in anyway?

Can you get in via FTP or your account file manager? If so, you can at least hand edit Variables/Settings.pl to put your forum into maintenance mode until this gets squared away. (Set the maintenance variable to '1' instead of 0.)

Then backup your forum using FTP or the file manager.

Then (hoping you have an older full backup of your forum off the server) start replacing files starting with ./Sources/Subs.pl, the javascripts in yabbfiles and the files in template files in ./Templates. (Don't replace anything in /Messages, /Members, or /Boards.)

What my best guess is: either the YaBB internal exit command is being ignored or files have gotten corrupted so that things are being appended to output variables that should only be rendered once.

If all else fails, there are a couple of us here with VPS space who can temporarily host your forum and/or run tests on the 'bad' backup.

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2013 at 3:49pm by Dandello »  

IP Logged

ramjet
YaBB Newcomer

My Forum not working after Server Migration
Nov 18th, 2013 at 10:03am
Post Tools
Hello there, my YaBB 2.4 forum has been working perfectly until my hosting company migrated my account to a new server.
My Forum no longer works nor can I log in to change or correct things. When I try and view my Forum it's not being refreshed, everything is being appended to the same screen.
Can anyone advise how I can solve the problems I'm having?
I suspect it's something to do with permissions but not sure.
I've attached a screenshot so you can see whats happening.

MTIA, Roger

Forumpic.jpg ( 319 KB | 19 Downloads )
Forumpic.jpg
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top