Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Password problems (Read 1,446 times)
matskp
YaBB Newcomer

Password problems
Nov 24th, 2013 at 5:25pm
Post Tools
Hi old friends

I am Mats that was here some years ago
I an ready to join again but i cant get new password
for my old account with the name Mats

Is it because my account is inactive?

Please activate it in that case so i can get a new password

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Re: Password problems
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 5:47pm
Post Tools
Hi Mats. I see from your original profile that you're a YaBB Legend. Cool Welcome back!

Unfortunately, this forum was effectively abandoned earlier this year by its only working admin, and Corey has yet to give full admin status to those YaBB staffers who continue to offer their support. It's a very unfortunate situation that's still unresolved, and quite puzzling.

In any case, a couple of years ago I had the same problem that you had, which prompted me to get a new membership. I actually have two memberships with the same email address; however that happened. This YaBB Next Edition software is quite buggy, and it's never been changed back to a stable version, or upgraded with a new version. From what's been reported, it's such a mess that nobody has figured out how to resolve it. And again, the abandonment of this forum has really hampered those efforts.

These days YaBB has kind of moved over to Dandello's YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) if you want to see what's going on. Thankfully, however, she and some others still support this forum by giving help to those who need it.

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one!

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

matskp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:11pm
Post Tools
That wasn´t so fun to hear

A couple of years ago we was a bunch of hard working people here.
Its sad to hear that corey left and that YaBB will slowly go down
I will head over at the other place to see whats happening.
It would be fun anf better if its possible to get this forum to wake up though

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 8:20pm
Post Tools
No doubt about it. It's very sad that this forum of YaBB's has been effectively abandoned, particularly in light of people who continue to support YaBB, and most particularly in light of hard working people like Dandello.

Corey has previously explained what I call his abandonment of YaBB as action on his part for others to step up to the plate to pretty much take over where he left off in terms of leadership. Delegating duties is generally a good thing, and the mark of effective leadership.

But in this case, which is evidently clear, he's made it very difficult for others to lead when he doesn't respond to their most basic requests such as giving them full access to this forum to fix what's needed. As such, they're hamstrung in what they can do.

Nonetheless, I'm still hopeful that Corey will step up to the plate to allow others to fix this forum, and to allow them to do what's needed in order to keep YaBB healthy and strong. An open source project should never be in the hands of just one or two people. The reasons for that are obvious.

Note: This forum doesn't allow for us to freely edit our posts or topics to make corrections as needed, so please remember to look for subsequent posts if you see any mistakes or outdated information. Sorry for the inconvenience.
IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 8:32pm
Post Tools
A lot of very old inactive account files may be in the wrong format or corrupted. (The forum here has changed servers a couple times over the years and bad things happen.)

If you only have one solution to a problem you're not trying hard enough!
IP Logged

matskp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 9:28pm
Post Tools
Dandello wrote on Nov 24th, 2013 at 8:32pm:
A lot of very old inactive account files may be in the wrong format or corrupted. (The forum here has changed servers a couple times over the years and bad things happen.)

Hi

I sent a message to admin about problems with my registration at the new address
I guess its for you

Its sad if i cant use my old account because all my stats and titles are there

IP Logged

matskp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 9:32pm
Post Tools
@ Bill Myers

If i knew i should have returned earlier to see if i could do something
Now i dont even know if there is any of the old devs still here

And i wouldnt step back if i go the question about helping
I spent a lot fo time here helping others and to test code

I also found the boardmod site
Its great that its still there

Will check if my old mods are there to
its like digging in the history  Cool

IP Logged

Bill Myers
God Member
Beta Testers

YaBB 2.5
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 1:02am
Post Tools
Edited:
matskp wrote on Nov 24th, 2013 at 9:28pm:
... i cant use my old account ...

Maybe you can add to your signature the circumstances of your current status, and offer up the url of your old account.

JonB is still listed as YaBB's admin even though he suddenly disappeared after February 27, 2013. He gave no explanation whatsoever, although he did post again on March 6th, and on May 6th earlier this year in 2013. It's not hard to figure out what most likely happened.

Before abandoning this forum to leave it in disrepair, and without any responsible delegation of his duties to hand it off to another admin as he had/has the ability to do, he very radically changed its operations in a way that defies rational explanation.

In short, he effectively privatized the forum by placing sections of it in areas that only a few people could access. He also gave instructions to his moderators to have them delete posts by anyone they deemed to be a "troll" even though that distinction was very arbitrarily decided. Even the most innocuous of posts were deleted.

Policed by the "gang of four" as they were called, this forum became intolerable. Thankfully, however, that gang mentality broke itself up when at least two or more of its own "gang of four" members came to their senses to correct the mistakes that had been made.

Sometimes, however, the more things change, the more they stay the same. After all, this forum's continuing, and current status is that its admin is absentee, and the domain's owner remains absent as well.

Despite this, I remain hopeful. Until things do change for the better here in this forum, there are thousands of YaBB admins who can continue to enjoy, and administer their own forums in ways that are productive, and fun.

There's good news here as well. Support for those who need help with their YaBB forums has been excellent for many months, which can arguably be the most important point.

« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2013 at 1:06am by Bill Myers »  

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 2:00am
Post Tools
matskp wrote on Nov 24th, 2013 at 9:28pm:
I sent a message to admin about problems with my registration at the new address
I guess its for you

Its sad if i cant use my old account because all my stats and titles are there

The old dev forum is just gone. Shocked  The owner of the space simply took it down one day and as far as I know there were no off site backups. The new dev forum is on my VPS and a couple people have admin privileges for saving off site backups if they see the need.

IP Logged

matskp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 5:42am
Post Tools
So all old devs left?
There was a bunch of them
The only news that came to me was what happend to Spikecity

I hope that YaBB as a forum script will continue and will be updated
Also that the support that was very high level will stay that way

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 6:07am
Post Tools
matskp wrote on Nov 25th, 2013 at 5:42am:
So all old devs left?
There was a bunch of them
The only news that came to me was what happend to Spikecity

I hope that YaBB as a forum script will continue and will be updated
Also that the support that was very high level will stay that way

we still get help from carsten when we need it his forum is here http://www.carsten-dalgaard.dk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

as to "Also that the support that was very high level will stay that way"
I hope it is the same or that it is of a higher quality just now the only let down is that there is just not the people power for 24/7 support just now  Sad

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

matskp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 11:03am
Post Tools
So is there a list of who is in the support/dev staff now?

Or Carsten is the only one left from the old ones?

IP Logged

Dandello
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team

YaBB 2.6.1
Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 5:12pm
Post Tools
Carsten isn't around here any more - just on his own forum (although he does occasionally check in on the dev forum).

Of the old developers, I haven't seen them around for quite a long time. I've been told that at least one has abandoned programming altogether.

IP Logged

matskp
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 6:47pm
Post Tools
The ones i talked to mostly was
Juvenall Wilson
Jeff
LoonyPandora
Monsen
The_Sören