Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools
Normal Topic Forum blocked by host! (Read 629 times)
Nigs
YaBB Newcomer

Forum blocked by host!
Nov 26th, 2013 at 9:18am
Post Tools
Hi
My forum has recently been blocked by my really helpful and useless host 1&1. With no warning my forum now reads this

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

When I contacted my host I was told to contact their security team! This is their reply -

Spam users are registering on your forum with invalid email addressses and your forum sends them email notification.   If you are going to send email with a script please make sure you have a return path configured so you can purge the addressses that don't exist.  Also, you may want to implement a captcha to prevent these spam registrations.  Also, please upgrade your copy of YaBB to the latest version.  You may set 644 permissions on ./cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl when you are ready to do all of this.

--
Sincerely,
Security Team
1&1 Internet, Ltd.

What? Firstly I had been able to stop the spammers thanks to Kevin on this forum and secondly what business is it of my hosts to start telling me 'I have spammers' and thirdly what business is it of theirs to tell me I need to get my forum upgraded?

I have no idea about how to upgrade and so any help would be hugely welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Re: Forum blocked by host!
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 2:40pm
Post Tools
Hi Nigs

what version of YaBB are you running?

as to
Nigs wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 9:18am:
secondly what business is it of my hosts to start telling me 'I have spammers'

unfortunately it is there business as there are more websites on their server than just your website and this will affect everyone on the same server as you are on if you look at the contract when you signed up with them in the T&C's it will be listed in the small print.

ok to the first part
Spam users are registering on your forum with invalid email addressses and your forum sends them email notification.

this is what is called email bounce back you can get more info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_message

as to
thirdly what business is it of theirs to tell me I need to get my forum upgraded?

also unfortunately it is there business as well if they feel that your forum is so outdated that it may pose a security risk this will also be listed in the small print of the T&C's.

I have no idea about how to upgrade and so any help would be hugely welcomed!

can you email me admin login info for the forum and the ftp login info and I will update your forum for you.

also if you are not happy with 1&1 you may want to consider moving hosts my Web hosting is by 123-reg and you may want to look at Web hosting by 123-reg if you are thinking on moving.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2013 at 2:40pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Nigs
YaBB Newcomer

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 4:02pm
Post Tools
Yeah, I guess I can see issues for the host but the way it was done was as though I was causing such a serious threat to world peace there was not enough time to inform me of what would happen, rather than just take if offline with no notification.

I will contact you via email.

Thank you!

IP Logged

xnoddyx
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers

None
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2013 at 7:26pm
Post Tools
Nigs wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 4:02pm:
but the way it was done was as though I was causing such a serious threat to world peace

with sardine tin hosting it is you are not the first 1&1 YaBB forum admin I have helped and some of my clients are also hosted on 1&1.

Nigs wrote on Nov 26th, 2013 at 4:02pm:
rather than just take if offline with no notification.

you was lucky they normally spend the whole site I got your email and will just go have a look and then I will get back to you with the email.
Edited:
forum updated and back online  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2013 at 11:44pm by xnoddyx »  

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top