YaBB Community and Support Forum
YaBB Home About YaBB Download YaBB YaBB Support Customize Your Forum Development Contribute to the Project
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Not my forum but... (Read 564 times)
 Dec 2nd, 2013 at 6:21pm
There are no actions to perform.  

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
Not my forum but...
While looking for something else I found this: http://www.astro.com/cgi/forum.cgi?lang=e

I said to myself 'that forum layout looks very familiar' and lo and behold, it's using yabbfiles for the graphics folder.  Grin

IP Logged  
 Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:26pm

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK:Scotland/livingston

YaBB 2.5
Re: Not my forum but...
Dandello wrote on Dec 2nd, 2013 at 6:21pm:
I said to myself 'that forum layout looks very familiar' and lo and behold, it's using yabbfiles for the graphics folder.  

lol it's also running YaBB but I don't see copyright and the main file has been edited and renamed hope it is licensed for that  Undecided

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 12:32am

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 3rd, 2013 at 11:26pm:
lol it's also running YaBB but I don't see copyright and the main file has been edited and renamed hope it is licensed for that  Undecided

Under YaBB's current and longstanding circumstances, I hardly think copyright violations are an issue. Besides, they do give credit here to YaBB in much the same way that other forks of YaBB have moved ahead with their own versions to keep current with forum advances, and updates (SMF to name one successful fork of YaBB).

Frankly, with other people helping of course, Dandello has pretty much singlehandedly kept YaBB alive with her generous efforts. For those who don't already know, you can check out YaBB's progress here in her YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) forum.

Interestingly, at least from my perspective, Dandello doesn't need to fork off from YaBB since she's moving ahead with YaBB itself despite previously active, and crucial people who've effectively abandoned YaBB's community at large.
Dandello is to be applauded, that's for sure (& others as well). Smiley

Morning, noon, or night, have a great one! ...
WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 2:49am

xnoddyx 
Support Team
Documentation Team
YaBB Moderators
YaBB Next Team
Beta Testers
UK:Scotland/livingston

YaBB 2.5
Bill Myers wrote on Dec 4th, 2013 at 12:32am:
Under YaBB's current and longstanding circumstances,

sorry Bill but you can judge the whole project on some sour grapes yes the main Support Forum maybe a bit more than buggy and the lack thereof of any admins on it may make it difficult if not hard at times to give support but but I think we get there quite well and can still offer a good level of support.

and as you say
Frankly, with other people helping of course, Dandello has pretty much singlehandedly kept YaBB alive with her generous efforts. For those who don't already know, you can check out YaBB's progress here in her YaBB 2.5.4 Alpha (RC1) forum.

development is moving along just fine  Wink

Dandello is to be applauded, that's for sure (& others as well).

of course as without the help from the coders there is no YaBB.

YaBB install help video
1. what yabb forum are you running and the url
2. describe in as much detail as you can what happens and also post screenshots if you can
3. please be patient we live in different time zones and have other commitments but we will help you
as bill and ted say (Be excellent to each other)
WWW xnoddyx xnoddyx1  
IP Logged  
 Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 5:27am

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
xnoddyx wrote on Dec 4th, 2013 at 2:49am:
... judge the whole project on some sour grapes ...

Actually, this has nothing to do with sour grapes; just the facts of years of mismanagement, which became clear to many of us who've been around for so long (some of us since almost the start of YaBB).

I agree that there's excellent support that's given in this forum, primarily from you and Dandello, and it only takes one of you. Sometimes, even I'm able to help solve problems from time to time. Others step in as well, and I'm hopeful that will continue.

I also agree that development is moving along just fine. But again, this would not have happened without Dandello's leadership, and others who have offered her their help, and support.

I like to think that somebody else would have come along as Dandello has to keep YaBB's development going, and maybe they would have, but the fact remains; she's the only one who actually took action to keep YaBB relevant. I give her kudos for that, which is why she deserves acknowledgement, and support.

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
 Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 3:31pm

Dandello 
Global Moderator
YaBB Next Team
Operations Team
Beta Testers
Support Team
Earth

YaBB 2.5
Didn't mean to start a war - I just noticed one of the forums I pop in on now and then was running an older version of YaBB. (And it's not a small forum.) BTW, I'm locked out here again.

IP Logged  
 Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 6:06pm

Bill Myers 
God Member
Beta Testers
Los Angeles

YaBB 2.4
Dandello wrote on Dec 4th, 2013 at 3:31pm:
Didn't mean to start a war - I just noticed one of the forums I pop in on now and then was running an older version of YaBB.

No war; just a healthy discussion. Wink I admire how John always goes out of his way to help people, and I respect his computer skills.

As for that other forum essentially running an older version of YaBB, and giving credit for it, under the circumstances I described of how badly YaBB's management has operated this forum, it's not at all surprising that people would build their own versions of YaBB.

For quite a while I saw the writing on the wall with what could happen with Corey's absence as owner of this forum, particularly when it was then combined with JonB's abandonment. That's why I installed SMF as a backup just in case I need it at some point (a well known, and highly successful fork of YaBB).

However, I still favor a YaBB forum, which is why I still operate the one I've had since 2002. I'll continue this for as long as I can even if I end up creating my own version of YaBB like others have done.

Carsten's YaBB Mod Forum is from my perspective one of those YaBB forks even though at the same time I consider it an original YaBB forum through and through. It's YaBB's software on steroids, and I do mean that is the best of ways.

As for JonB, but more particularly Corey since Corey owns this domain, I would offer up a Paulo Coelho (Aleph) quote, which I hope I've quoted correctly:

Quote:
"It's what you do in the present that will redeem the past and thereby change the future."

WWW BillHMyers  
IP Logged  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Topic Tools

Get Yet another Bulletin Board at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads Support This Project BoardMod - YaBB features and templates YaBB Codex - support on installation and usage YaBB Toolbar for your browser

YaBB Facebook Group Page

Vulnerability Scanner

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl
YaBB Chat and Support Community » Powered by YaBB 3.0 Beta!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2011. All Rights Reserved.